XP glitch (works on PS3 GOTY)

tgf

I thought I'd post this here as I didn't see this when trying to find ways to do this. I found this on youtube (NOT MY VIDEO)

Basically you can duplicate all the items you want..but in this case I duplicated the champaigne bottle. I got from level 43 to 50 in an hour.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osQc_LDYBrc]Dead Island: UNLIMITED Diamond / Champagne Glitch - YouTube[/ame]

Basically this is the method (in case the video stops working etc)

- Get ATLEAST 2 bottles of champagne

- Return one to the girl at the Diamond bungalows.

- Checkpoint is created just outside the hut.

- Drop the 2 bottles on the ground

- DIE

- Restart checkpoint during the few seconds you have!!

- You have the 1 bottle in your inventory

- You also have the 1 bottle on the ground

- Rinse and repeat.

HOWEVER; I think it only duplicates the amount of bottles you had when you originally started the checkpoint (ie adds 1 to the inventory in this case, regardless how many you drop on the ground).

So what I did:

I dropped them to the ground until I had 21 in my inventory.

Then I returned to the girl and gave her 1.

Checkpoint was created

- I had 20 bottles in my inventory

- I dropped all 20

- died

- restarted checkpoint before I respawned

- Picked up 20 bottles

- had 40 in my inventory

- Gave the girl 20

- restarted checkpoint (it creates a new checkpoint after each return)

- Dropped all 20

... etc. :)

I really really hope this will be helpful to all those GOTY guys who can't exploit the beating arm of thug -glitch like myself!

(P)

Edited by tgf
Typos

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this is exactly how i got my main character to level 60. it is also worth mentioning that the last patch even made this faster, since they adjusted the amount of XP you get in NG+.

so if you do this in NG+ you will get around 5000+ or more (depending on your level) per champagne bottle and the amount even increases every time you actually level up by this.

you will get level 50 or even 60 in no time! ;)

I may have to check this out. I just started my second playthrough and this could speed me along to mopping up.

EDIT:

I can't get this to work properly...For some reason it won't give me a checkpoint at Svetlana's location. I have to keep running back from the lighthouse. I can still dupe the bottles but it takes more time than it is worth.

Edited by broadsword93

I may have to check this out. I just started my second playthrough and this could speed me along to mopping up.

EDIT:

I can't get this to work properly...For some reason it won't give me a checkpoint at Svetlana's location. I have to keep running back from the lighthouse. I can still dupe the bottles but it takes more time than it is worth.

It won't create a checkpoint after you've given her a bottle (ie. finished the mission)? That's pretty weird. It always gave me a checkpoint.

This also did not work for me, I could never get the save checkpoint. I tried it on an patched and unpatched game.

I did however get it to work a different way. Every time u except a new quest the game creates a checkpoint. You can drop ur bottles, die and reload the check point.

Indeed the trick is much wider than this:

Like the video says it works with everything, not just with champagne bottles, so what you really need is just 1 bomb (deobomb, granade, etc).

Simply load your game, drop whatever you want to duplicate (weapons, miscellaneous, whatever), tiss your bomb, reload the checkpoint (that's where you started), pick up your duplicated items, then save and exit (start, triangle).

Rinse and repeat.

I triplicated my zed's dead, so I still have the unmodified katana and one for both venom and electro mod.

And that way it works even during the prison act.

The only thing to watch out is to not drop more than 30-40 items: it wouldn't recognize them correctly.

Simply load your game, drop whatever you want to duplicate (weapons, miscellaneous, whatever), tiss your bomb, reload the checkpoint (that's where you started), pick up your duplicated items, then save and exit (start, triangle).

Rinse and repeat.

after picking up the duplicates you can just restart the checkpoint again (without killing yourself!) to save your inventory! it's obviously way faster than save&reload!

I've been doing this but the long way too...doesn't give me a checkpoint at Svet.

I'm on level 41 now...have something like 4,500 oleander (which is over half a million XP) so need to get them traded and probably get a few more champers duplicated. Don't forget, each drop gives you 1,000xp from the champers and diamonds. Each diamond is $1,500 which is 11 oleanders.

Each 100 champers you do and trade the diamonds for ole gives 233,333 XP. So, for me, I need to do about 500 more drops! At 50 drops a go on checkpoints, it'll be a good 90 minutes.

about the checkpoint thing... make sure you have the svetlana quest set as active quest. the game seems to always place you in a location near the next "goal" of your active quest, which in this case would be the quest-giver.

i also read about people exploiting this fact to kind of fast-travel to the quest giver to turn the quest in, instead of running back.

i think they even referred to it as "ghetto teleport", which made me laugh.

oh and you don't really need oleander for it. just farm a champagne bottle or to (abandoned house in act2 or the lab are good places as far as i remember) and just dupe them.

also i like to emphasize again, that it will be MUCH more efficient and rewarding, doing this in early NG+, since the XP will increase with your level. i think the last couple of levels to lvl60, the svetlana quest was worth 10k+ XP per turn in... so not even 100 bottles for 1 million xp. i reached level 60 very fast that way!

Edited by dernop
typo

I've been doing this but the long way too...doesn't give me a checkpoint at Svet.

I'm on level 41 now...have something like 4,500 oleander (which is over half a million XP) so need to get them traded and probably get a few more champers duplicated. Don't forget, each drop gives you 1,000xp from the champers and diamonds. Each diamond is $1,500 which is 11 oleanders.

Each 100 champers you do and trade the diamonds for ole gives 233,333 XP. So, for me, I need to do about 500 more drops! At 50 drops a go on checkpoints, it'll be a good 90 minutes.

just wondering why are going for the oleander? just make a new game with your level 41 save on chapter 3 run to svet girl make sur it checkpoints make it your active quest

then just dupe champs for 5000 xp a champ

ho id like to add when you dupe and level up dont forget to save inventory it saves levels also

did 2 levels from 41 to 43 then tryed the dupe thing die and restart lost my 2 levels lol

im level 45 now takes 35 bottles so im make sure i have more then 50 in inventory before leveling up , level up quick reload to save my level

now i have less then 30 bottle drop them die + reload

makes around 60 now i go for another level making sure i have enough to level up and save

That's where I'm making the mistake! Not having Svet as the active quest to make the checkpoint.

As for why am I doing oleander too...just to save on a little time but doing that also. Don't want to start anything new game or asuch...don't want it to bug on me (like I did with NFS:MW last week...lost 9 hours of play).

That's where I'm making the mistake! Not having Svet as the active quest to make the checkpoint.

As for why am I doing oleander too...just to save on a little time but doing that also. Don't want to start anything new game or asuch...don't want it to bug on me (like I did with NFS:MW last week...lost 9 hours of play).

it doesn't touch your current save it just makes a new one with your current equipement and level

im done with dead island yay

I'm very happy to see that this was of use to some people. Because grinding to level 50 without the thug-arm glitch was almost a platinum breaker for me personally :)

I didn't use this exploit to reach level 50 (indeed I reached it while still in the laboratory), but I enjoyed it very much for its weapon application! ^_^

So thanks to you, mate!

• 1 month later...

HOWEVER; I think it only duplicates the amount of bottles you had when you originally started the checkpoint (ie adds 1 to the inventory in this case, regardless how many you drop on the ground).

Thank you for this! I was trying to duplicate champagne because my level 60 Xian save file corrupted and I'm trying to get her back to level 60 for Riptide. I couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong and this worked perfectly! I'm getting 12,500 XP every time I give her a bottle. :applause:

Edit: I'm getting 17,000 XP now! :francis:

Edited by Harley Quinn

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello guys, I might come in too late for this. but this and the looting trophy is going to be my last for this game before the platinum.

Just tried this method out and it didn't seem to work with 2 champagne bottles. So you give one to that girl, and you drop one on the floor, so you have zero in hand! When I restarted at checkpoint i had 0 in hand, and just one on the floor. Can somebody explain how this actually works? (if it ever does work)

is the thrug method not working anymore on the GOTY edition? Many thanks guys, hope this question doesnt come too late in 2013...