Anyone have tips for using Analog controls?

DarqueDragon

I am trying this method because others here suggested and it and it is related to a trophy and challenges, but it seems impossible to me. Do people actually like playing the game with this method? Am I missing something, or is this combat mechanic just broken?

I just can't see how this method would actually be a good way to fight. When you are in "combat mode" (holding L1), you can't turn, so you have to "relax" before you can turn to a new attacker, or hold R1 to spin around to them.

Plus, I don't quite get how do attack with this method. I press the stick in a direction to attack, but all I do is a tiny swing, and have to swing in the other direction to actually attack? Am I supposed to just swing the analog stick left and right or up and down and hope I hit them? Plus, my weapons seem to break easier using this method.

The "tutorial" doesn't really give any useful information about attacking with this method, so any help would be appreciated. Until I can figure this out, I am dying a lot, and I am only at Chapter 1 (started over to get another character's Act 1 out of the way while preserving my "original" game.)

Before getting ylod, I was on chapter 2 and never used analog style but after it I started a new game and thought that I'll get the trophy done out of the way. I got it and stayed on my way, I couldnt even think about returning to digital controlling because analog felt so natural. You can choose which way to hit or which part..

At first I had trouble turning and sometimes accidentally threw my weapons but now its much funnier than digital. You must like "charge" the swing. If you want to hit zombie from left, first move analog to right, then quickly to left to get momentum. Its like in real life, you cant hit something hard if you dont have any speed behind the swing.

The short weapons loose their power more with this style than with digital. Its better to use long weapons to hit multiple enemies with one swing. Also you cant hit zombies from down to up or up to down with digital style. Doing so will almost always make walkers fall on ground.

Practice and you will like it. :)

I hate the Analogue controls! To me they feel clunky and awkward to use and now I've got the trophies for using them, I'll never use them again.

Back on topic:

The advice the above user has given is your best bet but if you're still having trouble getting the trophies for using this setup, start a new character as it'll be much easier.

I just got this game this weekend and just last night experimented with this a little.

What I have been doing is standing on a car (I'm on in act 2 right now) where they can't hit you, watch out for guys who throw weapons though, they can knock you off. Anyways, just stand safely on the car and blindly swing away at the middle of the screen. The zombies will walk in front and will get hit in the head and die eventually. I have a decent weapon right now with Sam B so its not to hard actually, despite me also having a horrible time controlling analog properly.

I loaded on a little ammo as well and used this same method to get the 10 head kills in a row. I'm hoping I can use it to get the 15 hammer kills without damage also.

Of course, this is only helpful if you just want the trophy, in terms of actually using it, I suck...

I hate the Analogue controls! To me they feel clunky and awkward to use and now I've got the trophies for using them, I'll never use them again.

Back on topic:

The advice the above user has given is your best bet but if you're still having trouble getting the trophies for using this setup, start a new character as it'll be much easier.

Terminator is right on all accounts. The later you do it in the game the harder it becomes as the monsters are stronger and can take more hits. I started a character and was using analog controls from the start. I got the analog trophy during a side mission (I believe retrieving the teddy bear) after getting the people to the lifeguard station.

As I said, I did start a new game with a new character to try it, but I keep getting killed (have just gotten to the lighthouse), but I have already died several times.

I tried the method of just swinging wildly, but it doesn't work. I keep getting swarmed and can't turn when attacking, so I have to stop attacking to turn. Digital is so much easier.

I am gonna try using digital, and just switching to analog when there is only one or two enemies around (and definitely NOT when Thugs are around).

Probably not gonna get Platinum on this anyway, as I can never find a decent online game, so I will just leave this one alone until I need it, if I get close to platinum.

Thanks anyways, all.

As I said, I did start a new game with a new character to try it, but I keep getting killed (have just gotten to the lighthouse), but I have already died several times.

I tried the method of just swinging wildly, but it doesn't work. I keep getting swarmed and can't turn when attacking, so I have to stop attacking to turn. Digital is so much easier.

I am gonna try using digital, and just switching to analog when there is only one or two enemies around (and definitely NOT when Thugs are around).

Probably not gonna get Platinum on this anyway, as I can never find a decent online game, so I will just leave this one alone until I need it, if I get close to platinum.

Thanks anyways, all.

I played through until you get to the lifeguard station. For that thug, I actually used the propane tank to take out the thug there (throwing one of weapons at the tank as the thug approached). Kick is also very useful when battling Infected. Once that was done, I did several quests. I did the two quests involving the clinic (breaking down the door and killing zombies, and getting paramedic bag), getting the car parts, and then getting the teddy bear (which during that quest is when I hit the required amount). I only faced that one thug and some infected.

Incidentally, you could try using the strat that is recommended for the analog trophy in the dlc (using guns as those controls do not change). The problem is you do have to wait til later in the game for that to be viable.

Incidentally, you could try using the strat that is recommended for the analog trophy in the dlc (using guns as those controls do not change). The problem is you do have to wait til later in the game for that to be viable.

Would that actually work? I have a character near the end of the game, so he has weapons. But, I thought the trophy was to "swing them sticks", suggesting it only works with melee. Does it work with guns, too? If so, I can just switch to analog when I use guns (usually only against human enemies or large groups).

If it does work, how do you fire guns with the analog controls? Is it still L1 to aim and R1 to fire, or is it different.

Thanks, Lintarius & Terminator. I'm gonna just do that, then. I'll use digital controls when using Machetes or whatnot, and change to options to analog when using guns. I usually only bring out guns when there are human enemies, so it's not like I'll have to change the options all the time.

I don't recall seeing the number go up in the stat tracking menu, though.