How is this game?

Crazy1 81

So far I am kinda disappointed. I really liked the 1st one after the patches fixed the game breaking bugs. I was really hoping they learned their lesson. The worst problem I'm having are the infinite spawns on infected in certain areas. You can literally clear an area, turn a 360 and all the zombies will have reset... Really frustrating so far unfortunately

As others have said, it is pretty much the same as the first one except for all the bugs the first one had on release.

There are a couple of minor things that need fixing but nothing gamebreaking,

the private lobby invite system not working correctly, frame rate drops when there is a lot happening at once.

I have also had the infinite spawns, they become a bit tedious after awhile but you can get a massive amount of xp from them.

If you liked the first one then you would probably enjoy riptide.

As stated above pretty much like the first one with different bugs and 1 new playable character. Kinda a let down the fact that they didn't revamp their game engine and fix the mechanics that are still broken.

So far I think it was worth it the fact that is $10 less and I get $20 back from BBY and a steel case made it a no brainier to get on day 1.

I gave so much hype to my friends about the first one how excited i was for it.. All in all i loved the game minus the bugs (holy hell did they suck) but there are two games one is already out and the other is coming out, that ill wait for some inbetween time and pick it up at a sale price. Riptide lost my buy at release date after the problems with the first one.

Bioshock Infinite and The Last of Us! Anyways ill keep checking back here for reviews and updates

Quick thoughts and things I noticed:

• It's exactly like the first one. Not necessarily a bad thing, but it really is identical.
  • A couple of "new" zombies, even though they behave similarly to other types of zombies.
  • Defense missions are an interesting feature, but they didn't blow me away.
  • Brief freezes in the game every so often are annoying.
  • Zombie spawns can be frustrating at times.
  • I think they did a better job with the loot this time around. I'm finding better items more often. Guns seem to have a bigger presence as well.
  • For the most part, I've been pretty free of any major bugs or glitches.
  • I find the voice acting to be mostly annoying, especially when characters start repeating their lines when you're standing near them.
  • I've been playing solo and I find the difficulty to be pretty good. I've died a few times, but I was being pretty careless when it happened.
  • The spawns for weapon mod parts, food items, and everything else are pretty nice. You always have plenty of materials and health. Money seems to be pretty easy to obtain as well, so you can easily mod and upgrade your weapons.
  • A few audio issues at times, but nothing too bad.
  • Jumping down to attack an enemy from above is pretty satisfying. I don't remember that ability in the first game.

Bottom line, if you enjoyed the original, you'll enjoy the sequel. If you didn't enjoy the original, you won't enjoy the sequel. It's essentially the same game.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm really surprised by the replies here, it's mostly all correct, but not 1 person said that riptide better than DI1, everyone says they are 'the same', I think riptide is considerably better than DI1.

Don't get me wrong, the game is vastly the same, same engine, same graphics, same horrible voice acting, etc, but riptide is just slightly improved in all areas, especially glitches and playability.

I've found the maps to be much richer and dense with detail, textures are better, layouts are also improved, riptide seems a bit less expansive than DI1 and perhaps that's partly why it seems much more stable to me.

I think DI1 had the potential to be a great game, I got it at the start and the bugs, glitches and voice acting were just intollerable, but worst of all I just found it a bit uninteresting, which was a shame because it had massive potential. It's a well known dead island 1 was severely rushed, they completely changed the direction of the game when deep silver tookover and in roughly 9 months after deep silver took charge they just pumped it out asap as it was. That's not a critiscism on deep silver though, they are great, but the project was really struggling before deep silver took over and they did what they had to, which was 'release it now - fix bugs later'.

Unfortunately though in my eyes dead island was no where near as good as it should have been straight off the bat. I worried it was gonna be the same thing with riptide, but in my eyes at least riptide is everything DI1 should have been, so credit to deep silver this time for getting it right.

The game is just awesome fun as far as I'm concerned, and that's the most important thing, but also I've had a virtually completely bug-free run, the only bugs I've encountered so far was on a couple of occasions when I threw blade weapons at enemies I was unable to retrieve them, and I had 1 freeze but no problems after a reset.

It's worth noting that so far I've been playing with no patches, just single player as it comes straight off the disk. Yes there are some framerate issues sometimes when the screen is busy and I want to say again just how terrible the voice acting is, god... It's really, really... Really bad! But I'm Australian so maybe it's hitting me harder than others how fake those ausie accents are, but thankfully this game is driven by exploration and zombie killing, and those things it does very well.

It's far from GOTY winning material, but the best way I could put it is Dead Island 1 felt like a 6/10 to me, whereas Riptide feels like a solid 8/10. There are far worse ways you could spend your time than with Riptide, especially in this dry period before PS4 is released.

Edited by thedarknessof66

While the Australian accents are really poorly done (where did they get them from? the outback?) there is enough here to warrant purchase IMO.

The game is fun especially in coop, but it doesn't feel different from the original in level design and environment. It seems like they put DI in reverse and put boats in it. They did fix the god awful rendering load times from DI1and the online is MUCH more stable. I've playing coop exclusively with a mate and it has only dropped out once.

They have got to fix the third person animations, my god they are horrible, they make Bethesda games look good. But it's great for a laugh in coop I suppose (especially the attack from above animation and climbing ladders).

Edited by Furious Gargoyle

Is it just me, or do the guns work better and seem to do more damage now?

I think there are massive improvements in riptide over d1, however.. I don't like the fact that I bounce off of plants. I feel like some of the explorability was removed. however, xp seems to scale because I loaded up my Sam B from d1 and i have gone from 6- to 62 without feeling like i'm grinding. zombies give way more xp, missions seem to have increased xp.

as for weapons.. on the ship I was ok with what I got. then once on land Its like i'm hitting the zombies with a wet noodle! that is untill I found a weak staff, added some nails, and now I have a white weapon that's as powerful as my zed's demise from d1.

While the Australian accents are really poorly done (where did they get them from? the outback?) there is enough here to warrant purchase IMO.

The game is fun especially in coop, but it doesn't feel different from the original in level design and environment. It seems like they put DI in reverse and put boats in it. They did fix the god awful rendering load times from DI1and the online is MUCH more stable. I've playing coop exclusively with a mate and it has only dropped out once.

They have got to fix the third person animations, my god they are horrible, they make Bethesda games look good. But it's great for a laugh in coop I suppose (especially the attack from above animation and climbing ladders).

Yeah exactly this. I would be pretty bored if I wasnt doing coop with you so its actually pretgy fun and the trophies are all easy enough. Those jump kill and charge attack animations though are atrocious haha.

• 4 weeks later...