Is dc universe worth getting

Daroaster

I'm thinking about getting dc universe online in the near future. The problem is the monthly subscription. dc universe looks like a good game in terms of gameplay but is it worth paying so much for it. If anyone has played the game, would you kindly leave your review and the reason behind your review.

Is it glitchy? Graphics messed up? bad controls? Or is all that stuff ok and it's a really fun game?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm thinking about getting dc universe online in the near future. The problem is the monthly subscription. dc universe looks like a good game in terms of gameplay but is it worth paying so much for it. If anyone has played the game, would you kindly leave your review and the reason behind your review.

Is it glitchy? Graphics messed up? bad controls? Or is all that stuff ok and it's a really fun game?

Honestly I love this game, graphics are solid, controls are nothing to complain about and it is a really fun game my only complaint is that no one will group up with me to go do missions as a team. If you like mmo this is a good one. I have nothing to compare it to(wow, sc) cause I have never played them before but I really enjoy this one a lot.

I am on the fence, waiting for the trophy guide to see how many hours to Plat. Im gonna guess its 100+

About 150 hours, but it's incredibly easy to get and it's actually enjoyable, doesn't feel like grinding.

As for is it worth getting- Yes.

The gameplays good and enjoyable.

It has a couple of minor glitches, but nowhere near as bad as it was in the beta.

The graphics are good, they're not uncharted's standard but still good.

The controls are good and just feel really natural for the controller.

As for the extra cost, your getting monthly DLC for the game to keep givig you more to do.

I got DC Universe Online yesterday.I got home,put in the 30 day code,and waited through the very long install and update.The graphics are good and the controls are soild.However it doesn't change the fact that its going straight back to the store tomorrow.I think everyones all starry eyed over PS3s first "MMO" to notice how broken it is.Plenty of other people have being having the following problems.Freezing,data corruption,major lagging,and invincible NPC glitching to name a few.The character creation system is O-K-A-Y,but just.Pretty much every villian is a hooded,demon winged flier with fire powers.I really think they should have pushed the game back more.They obviously didn't do enough stress testing on the servers.I don't recommend anyone get this game.Seriously wait a few months and see what everyone says,and wait for reviews.Lots of people will argue with me and defend this game.Cause lots of people aren't having problems(or a least say they aren't)but just as much are.Continued below...

The game just isn't that great.I mean how many of you could play it for to long.Everyone will get bored eventually,and those of you "looking for an easy plat" don't bother seriously.Your just going to be flying around spamming square and triangle from $15 to $15.I was optimistic about this game.Some people were criticising it,and sadly they were right.I wanted this game to be great.It looked great on the shiny private server demos,but its just not.I might pick it up again in a few months when/if they've sorted it out.My advice for now is just don't get it.You may be one of the lucky ones that doesn't have any problems,but you probably won't be.Oh and to those of you who are going to return your copy remember to turn off the automatic subscription renewal.

Not to be mean, but you lost a lot of credibility on the topic right there. If you don't understand the depth of a combat system, you're probably not going to have fun. The game is built around combos and super-moves, not spamming so much.

I totally agree with Azgard. Its no different to playing a fps like CoD for 300 hrs getting by just by holding down R1 with the odd occasional toilet break in between. The game's combat system makes you think about what you have to be doing, what powers to use and when. I'm loving this game and will loving it a few months down the line as in my view the game requires skill to get you by.

I'm not saying thats all the game requires.Its just some are gonna trying gliding through to an easy plat.But they'll discover its not easy.In my time playing I saw thats what most people did which is why they were ultimately defeated by the use of combos,powers etc.Most or many of the people playing DC Universe will get to grips with the combat system and use it to their advantage and go on to progress through the game.But there are also going to be,and already are many trinket gamers who spend their time roaming around looking for quick fights.Look at the end of it if the game's working for you and you're joying it thats great,but its just not for me,and its safe to say many others.If you are unsure as to whether you should get the game or not,its safer not to,until you can make an informed decision.Its important to read reviews by websites or magazines not sponsored by the makers of the game they're reviewing.Some may think thats obvious,but some people's perception,or lack there of,will suprise you.

Wow. everyone has some real good opinions (both good and bad) about the game. I don't plan on getting the game for a couple weeks, i need to finish another game before i start on this one. Although creating my own superhero and villian does sound interesting. I'm impressed to find out about monthly add-on, i did not know this. I usually rely on g4 or ign to decide however i get the feeling that they already gave it a high score before they even played it. This post doesn't mean that i'm gonna buy or rent the game, however i will keep an eye on this post for further reviews and then make my decision.

Thanks to all who posted or will post in the future.

On Youtube check out the EventStatus channel.There are a few videos on there concerning DC Universe.The last one sums it up pretty well.The videos are pre-release but contain good,backed up arguements.However they address the pay to play factors and the games stability more than the technical bugs etc.

Alright, what to say about this game. First off, how many of you have experience with MMOs? Those who do, know that MMOs are vastly different from any game you've played on consoles.

First off, the issue with bugs. If anyone played any MMO during launch week, they'll know that bugs are common for MMOs. WoW (World of Warcraft), arguably the best MMO on the market, had plenty of bugs when the game first came out. Some people may say, "That's not an excuse." Well, actually, it is. Even with the beta testing, it is impossible to identify and fix every bug present in the game before launch for the simple fact that the game is so massive. Even with weeks of testing, there is still a great possibility that the developers won't catch your fair share of bugs, and there's also the possibility that beta testers don't report a some of these bugs. Now, as I'm sure some people have heard, there were still quite a few bugs at first. But a lot of those issues have already been resolved in the first few days.

As for gameplay, it is damn good. Anyone who played WoW knows that the combat is a bit slow paced. For warriors in particular, they attack automatically after the initial attack. Then along the way you input a few special attacks and wait for cooldowns and stuff. Well, DCUO plays much different than your conventional MMO. There is no auto attack. It plays very much like an action game such as God of War. This makes the gameplay extremely enjoyable and fast paced.

As for the major complaints brought up by Mc Pigeon. Freezing. Hmm, I tend to notice this is an issue for a lot of newer games. It's not something new with this game.

Data corruption. It's been determined that some people have got a message while loading up the game that the data is corrupt and to reinstall. One thing to make clear, it does not in any way affect your HDD. You save files are safe. I believe some people had to reinstall the game. Annoying yes, but I have not heard about people having this error message recently.

Major lagging. When I first played the game, about two days after launch, I was experiencing no lag until I reached Metropolis. It was super laggy in one Metropolis hotspot. Since that day, though, it has not been laggy. I still run in to some lag, but it's few and far between.

Invincible NPCs. I've heard of this issue before. I myself haven't experienced it, but I've heard complaints about it. The problem seems to have been resolved, though, seeing as I haven't heard complaints of it in a while.

Oh, that's one thing to make clear. Like with any MMO you play, DCUO developers are constantly on the lookout for any issues people are brining to their attention. They eliminated many of the bugs present during beta, and have eliminated many of the bugs during the first few days of launch. I can guarantee that in a few weeks time, most every bug will have been fixed. That's how things usually go with MMOs.

I definitely think waiting a few weeks will benefit people. By then, you'll probably only experience the good of the game. I regret a little not waiting a few weeks to buy the game. I mean, I knew what to expect from MMOs, so I knew if I waited a few weeks that I would have smooth sailing through the 1-month subscription included when you first purchase the game. But I like seeing the improvements take place before my eyes.

Oh, @Mc Pigeon. As far as I know, there is no danger in keeping your game until the 1-month included subscription is over. You already have one month in the bag, might as well stick it out. Or just put it down and come back in a week. You have plenty of time to try the game out and see if it's for you or not.

Are PC and PS3 players playing together on the same server, or did they really go for the decision not to do that?

If they aren't playing together I probably wont be getting this game.

Since the latest person didn't answer, i'm reposting. I dont want to make a thread over such a simple question.

And since this is the reason of whether the game will be worth getting to me, I may as well put it in this one.

Alright, what to say about this game. First off, how many of you have experience with MMOs? Those who do, know that MMOs are vastly different from any game you've played on consoles.

First off, the issue with bugs. If anyone played any MMO during launch week, they'll know that bugs are common for MMOs. WoW (World of Warcraft), arguably the best MMO on the market, had plenty of bugs when the game first came out. Some people may say, "That's not an excuse." Well, actually, it is. Even with the beta testing, it is impossible to identify and fix every bug present in the game before launch for the simple fact that the game is so massive. Even with weeks of testing, there is still a great possibility that the developers won't catch your fair share of bugs, and there's also the possibility that beta testers don't report a some of these bugs. Now, as I'm sure some people have heard, there were still quite a few bugs at first. But a lot of those issues have already been resolved in the first few days.

As for gameplay, it is damn good. Anyone who played WoW knows that the combat is a bit slow paced. For warriors in particular, they attack automatically after the initial attack. Then along the way you input a few special attacks and wait for cooldowns and stuff. Well, DCUO plays much different than your conventional MMO. There is no auto attack. It plays very much like an action game such as God of War. This makes the gameplay extremely enjoyable and fast paced.

As for the major complaints brought up by Mc Pigeon. Freezing. Hmm, I tend to notice this is an issue for a lot of newer games. It's not something new with this game.

Data corruption. It's been determined that some people have got a message while loading up the game that the data is corrupt and to reinstall. One thing to make clear, it does not in any way affect your HDD. You save files are safe. I believe some people had to reinstall the game. Annoying yes, but I have not heard about people having this error message recently.

Major lagging. When I first played the game, about two days after launch, I was experiencing no lag until I reached Metropolis. It was super laggy in one Metropolis hotspot. Since that day, though, it has not been laggy. I still run in to some lag, but it's few and far between.

Invincible NPCs. I've heard of this issue before. I myself haven't experienced it, but I've heard complaints about it. The problem seems to have been resolved, though, seeing as I haven't heard complaints of it in a while.

Oh, that's one thing to make clear. Like with any MMO you play, DCUO developers are constantly on the lookout for any issues people are brining to their attention. They eliminated many of the bugs present during beta, and have eliminated many of the bugs during the first few days of launch. I can guarantee that in a few weeks time, most every bug will have been fixed. That's how things usually go with MMOs.

I definitely think waiting a few weeks will benefit people. By then, you'll probably only experience the good of the game. I regret a little not waiting a few weeks to buy the game. I mean, I knew what to expect from MMOs, so I knew if I waited a few weeks that I would have smooth sailing through the 1-month subscription included when you first purchase the game. But I like seeing the improvements take place before my eyes.

Oh, @Mc Pigeon. As far as I know, there is no danger in keeping your game until the 1-month included subscription is over. You already have one month in the bag, might as well stick it out. Or just put it down and come back in a week. You have plenty of time to try the game out and see if it's for you or not.

Very good review buddy.

I have played about 4 other mmo's, and i really enjoy thins one. It is alot faster paced. And there really isnt any grinding like all the mmo's ive played. In DCUO, a LARGE majority of the xp you get is from doing quests. Other mmo's (like WOW) you spend HOURS sitting around grinding (attacking and killing monsters). If i want to level up in this game, sitting around and killing ncp's will not get you far at all. On one side, i like it like that because it doesnt force you to grind, but on the other side, it makes killing npc's pointless(in a way) unless its for a quest.

As for bugs, its a new game, of coarse it will have bugs. i haven't experienced any major ones. just the occasional freeze when alot of stuff is going on, and this can happen in games. Not liking a game cause of that is dumb. None of the little bugs/freezes/ect is making me not like the game. ya they can be a little annoying, but the everything else outweighs those little problems.

And again, you pay monthly, like almost every other mmo. So they will CONSTANTLY be fixing things and tweaking the game to make it better for everyone. When a company releases an mmo, they dont just release it and quit working on it. I can see in the near future, the menu will be alot quicker and less bulky feeling. As for "invisible" npc's, thats do to how fast you run/fly into an area. You get there before it has a chance to load. This happens in every game (unless you just cant move fast enough for it to happen)

The more i type the less people will read it, soooo.

Its a great game if you like MMO's. And if you dont, i think you will like it anyways. MMO's are a great ...catagory (if thats the right word?) of games.

i would recomend it to anyone. Although, if you dont have the time to play a game for more than 30 mins at a time,... then i dont know. It's a hungry hippo that eats hours of the day like a fat person at old country buffet lol

Since the latest person didn't answer, i'm reposting. I dont want to make a thread over such a simple question.

And since this is the reason of whether the game will be worth getting to me, I may as well put it in this one.

Sorry, forgot to answer your question. PS3 and PC have different servers. But just curious, is there a reason why it would be a deal breaker for you if it PS3 and PC owners can't play on the same server? It can't be a population issue since the servers are ridiculously packed. In fact,they're opening up new servers again, apparently, due to the great sales they've been experiencing.

If it's something about wanting to play with some friends who don't have PS3's, but do have PC's, then I can see the problem. I think it'll still be unfortunate to miss out on this game, though. So if you can, I would say at least get it for the PC is the above issue is your reasoning (if your PC is powerful enough).

Is this game laggy? i can deal with a little lagg but if its insane i want nothing to do with this game. I don't have a problem paying $15 a month if the game is good and if the game has little lagg.

I plan on getting this game or ME2.. Need a reply before 8pm CT.

Sorry, forgot to answer your question. PS3 and PC have different servers. But just curious, is there a reason why it would be a deal breaker for you if it PS3 and PC owners can't play on the same server? It can't be a population issue since the servers are ridiculously packed. In fact,they're opening up new servers again, apparently, due to the great sales they've been experiencing.

If it's something about wanting to play with some friends who don't have PS3's, but do have PC's, then I can see the problem. I think it'll still be unfortunate to miss out on this game, though. So if you can, I would say at least get it for the PC is the above issue is your reasoning (if your PC is powerful enough).

Yeah its a deal breaker because the peeps i play MMOs with dont have PS3. As for getting it on the PC, I'm tired of playin MMOs on the PC.

And if i did play one, I'd probly go back to a very good one like WoW (well that kinda sucks now though) Age of Conan, or wait for some other upcoming ones like Rift.

My only interest in giving this game a chance was the fact I could play on my PS3. I'm experienced with MMOs, and if not for playing with my friends on PS3 this game doesn't give me enough reason to give my time and money to it xD

Not saying its a bad MMO though, that's just my reason I would play it over another that peeks my interest more.

Thanks for answering my question though =)