Worth owning? Thoughts? etc

mbh911

Since Datura just came out today I wanted to see if anyone bought this yet and if so is it worth buying? Right now it's $9.99 ($7.99 Plus Members) the video/trailer that i watched and downloaded from the psn store was interesting since it reminded me of the point & click games. I am also getting a Myst vibe from it but that's just my thought.

Anyone else care to share? Thanks!

Since Datura just came out today I wanted to see if anyone bought this yet and if so is it worth buying? Right now it's $9.99 ($7.99 Plus Members) the video/trailer that i watched and downloaded from the psn store was interesting since it reminded me of the point & click games. I am also getting a Myst vibe from it but that's just my thought.

Anyone else care to share? Thanks!

I'm curious to hear from some one who has spent some time playing it as well.

IGN has said its a pretty average game. Nice graphics, interesting story, but the experience is brought down because of the bad controls.

According to them it uses either the Move or the DS3 (along with the good old SixAxis) controls and neither works very well in most situations which can frustrate the player.

It's too bad if this is the case. I actually enjoyed Linger in Shadows, but I knew what it was going into it, and I was looking forward to see how Plastic could push the PS3 with their talent.

Well I 100%'d the game today and I loved it. It took about 30 minutes for me to be completely comfortable with the controls, I used two MOVE controllers and played it in 3D btw. Playing that way made it so immersive I was seriously drawn into the story.

Although, I'm confused about what the hell actually happened story wise I had emotional responses throughout the game. All I know is I really enjoyed this game and it was worth every :psn+: cent and I really hate the guy in the vest.

I also used two move controllers and I got use to the controls after a while. I didn't try to use a dualshock so I don't know if the controls would be better or worse. Overall the game is a great experience and I didn't mind paying $8 for it, but might suggest waiting for a price drop if you are unsure if you will like it. It is rather short, I completed it and went back and got 100% of the trophies in just two hours total.

I used one move controller and it didn't take me too long to get use to it, not sure how long, but I thought the use of the move controller was doe very well and made the game more fun. The story was strange but I think I got what was going on so it made for a very interesting and even stranger ride, I only got two black dots the first time through because wasnt sure what to do on one and the second one I thought i was going to do something else.

All in all it is a very fun game with a strange journey that is well worth the price even if it isn't that long, you should also play with the move controller if you have it.

It wasn't amazing, I found it boring imo. Played with dualshock, move is probably much better to play with. The camera is really shaky, felt a bit sick after playing. Its not a bad game, just not my thing.

I like the atmosphere in the game, but damn do the controls suck if you don't have a move controller!

In the driving bit my hand just wouldn't move and I drove the whole bit grinding into the left side of the road. Got a good laugh at the games expence at least. But now it's getting cumbersome. Turning a key or handle requires me to spin the controller about 1080 degrees (while 45 is actually animated and performed) and now I'm stuck. Can't use the crowbar properly and there's no way of telling if I'm doing it wrong or the controls are messing with me...

Just make it require move controllers instead of this.

Edit: Solved it by mistake. Flapped about with the controller in a last ditch rage atempt.

Edited by Blam-Blam-Kerpow

Care to explain on why you wouldn't recommend this game? Just curious since you didnt give any reasons :)

Since I was asked: I found this game did nothing exactly well.

Graphics - not ugly, but neither are they impressive or anything. This coming from a demoscene crew or how you call it is really weird. I remember Linger In The Shadows looking phenomenal back then. So if you look at it as a tech demo or something like that, it's rather poor. Only good point would be the amount of bugs, butterflies and leaves in the air, I guess. Rest looks average or even bad.

Design - Technics aside, yeah, the game is somewhat pretty, but it doesn't really show anything extraordinary. Could've been a bit weirder or more creative.

Move - the controls suck. Yes, you get everything done, but it still feels crampy and unnatural. What's the deal with the hand? I couldn't get it to feel right, it was mostly not even on the screen, I had to hold it to the very left to see it on the right off the screen, ect., totally unimmersive, it never felt natural. (I also tried calibrating it several times, no, that's apparently how it's meant to be.) Movement always feels slow and comlicated, even when you run.

Gameplay - no puzzles or riddles. Okay, but then give me something else to do. You basically just move through the area with little to explore and find and activate some minigames, "gesture recognition tests" and QTE cutscenes, all of them very simple to the point where you just follow onscreen prompts. I thought this was especially disappointing seeing how it's a Move game, but most of what you do is pretty much automatized - you can play it with a DualShock controller, that should give you an idea about how much Move there actually is in the game.

Artistic value and experience - now this is where it gets interesting, because that's the only aspect I would understand why anyone would like the game. It didn't work for me, though. I understand what it was doing, but the whole concept isn't exactly fresh and I found the execution to be mostly uninteresting and not touching at all.

Length - as I wrote in the other topic, a little over one hour? And aside from [spoiler=stone]throwing a stone into the well

I did everything, there was nothing else to be found and done. Granted, on the second playthrough, you can do various events slightly differently, but such replay value is only of value if you like to replay a game and it didn't really change much anyways except [spoiler=end]what stuff you see sitting or standing around in the final hallway.

That's my opinion on the game. Interesting concept, weak implementation.

I think it was really weird, but also really intense and was kinda freaking me out on several ocasion (while playing in a dark room with the volume turned up)

Just like journey, this game is definitely an experience, even tho it's quite short.

(dont wanna compare the two games, just saying :p.... <3 Journey)

Thank you all for the posts. Datura does have a weird vibe, but it was good to hear the Move controller(s) make the game more intuitive and fun. Linger in Shadows was definitely unusual, so I'm glad to see this developer is still pushing the envelope for game interactivity.

Since I was asked: I found this game did nothing exactly well.

Graphics - not ugly, but neither are they impressive or anything. This coming from a demoscene crew or how you call it is really weird. I remember Linger In The Shadows looking phenomenal back then. So if you look at it as a tech demo or something like that, it's rather poor. Only good point would be the amount of bugs, butterflies and leaves in the air, I guess. Rest looks average or even bad.

Design - Technics aside, yeah, the game is somewhat pretty, but it doesn't really show anything extraordinary. Could've been a bit weirder or more creative.

Move - the controls suck. Yes, you get everything done, but it still feels crampy and unnatural. What's the deal with the hand? I couldn't get it to feel right, it was mostly not even on the screen, I had to hold it to the very left to see it on the right off the screen, ect., totally unimmersive, it never felt natural. (I also tried calibrating it several times, no, that's apparently how it's meant to be.) Movement always feels slow and comlicated, even when you run.

Gameplay - no puzzles or riddles. Okay, but then give me something else to do. You basically just move through the area with little to explore and find and activate some minigames, "gesture recognition tests" and QTE cutscenes, all of them very simple to the point where you just follow onscreen prompts. I thought this was especially disappointing seeing how it's a Move game, but most of what you do is pretty much automatized - you can play it with a DualShock controller, that should give you an idea about how much Move there actually is in the game.

Artistic value and experience - now this is where it gets interesting, because that's the only aspect I would understand why anyone would like the game. It didn't work for me, though. I understand what it was doing, but the whole concept isn't exactly fresh and I found the execution to be mostly uninteresting and not touching at all.

Length - as I wrote in the other topic, a little over one hour? And aside from [spoiler=stone]throwing a stone into the well

I did everything, there was nothing else to be found and done. Granted, on the second playthrough, you can do various events slightly differently, but such replay value is only of value if you like to replay a game and it didn't really change much anyways except [spoiler=end]what stuff you see sitting or standing around in the final hallway.

That's my opinion on the game. Interesting concept, weak implementation.

Thanks for the response, great feedback and you nailed a lot of good points as well. Such as the length, gameplay, design, etc

I just finished it a few hours ago and JUST when the game was about to get more interesting, it ended. Total bummer and buzzkill way to end the game like that.

I did however enjoyed playing this game because of the lack of PS Move games. There was some cool triply stuff with the visuals/design in certain parts of the game but for the most part your basically outside in a creepy forest. I kind of wish this game was cheaper but I don't regret spending $7.99 (PS+) for this game. If this game was 14.99 then I would of regretted buying this game since I would just rather wait for a sale/price drop.

Despite the flaws this game could of been really cool if it was more of a retail game since this type of game was pretty interesting in my opinion. I would imagine something like a Heavy Rain and Datura type of game. I hope there's more games like this in the future with more content, puzzles, gameplay, etc. I was also thinking about how well the game would control if it was on the Kinect for x360.

Definitely worth a look if you want a slightly different gaming experience.

Support for titles like this will encorage devs to take more risks. Look at heavy rain, it was different but it worked.

I definitely agree with what you've said. Regardless it is short but I wanted something different, so it's worth a look in.

• 5 months later...

This game is really good, especially with motion controls.

It's not long wich is kinda dissapointing (but heck, I only spend 4 bucks on it since Halloween Sale so I can't really complain on that actually...)

I like that it dares to be different, it really stands out in style, gameplay etc. That's one of the reasons I love Sony. They want to take risks with Artsey-Fartsey game like these.

I really hope they'll eventually make a longer game in this kinda style. I see this game as a proof of concept.

Do try it, it's definitely worth your time. :)

• 3 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

How strange to see positive reviews after reading this LOL (or "My playthrough of Datura") - Datura - PSNProfiles Forums

Seems this site and the posted link are polar opposites (though a few like the game)

I've only played a little of the game (darn backlog of unfinished/unplayed titles) but it seemed up my alley with the pleasant soundtrack and surreal nature to it :) controls will take getting used to

But I've enjoyed games of this nature (flower, linger in shadows and so on)