Darksiders II: Deathinitive Edition - DEATHINITIVE Difficulty Guide (Walkthrough)

Shirrako

Darksiders II Deathinitive Edition includes a new difficulty mode, Deathinitive.

It's a slightly harder version of the Apocalyptic mode, If you're going for the platinium, you will need to beat this mode for the gold trophy.

So what do you need to keep in mind?

Using the charge attack on heavy weapons is one of the most OP attacks available from the start, you can start a combo with the scythes and hold triangle as Death performs the combo to charge up the attack faster and without standing in one place.

Use all the gear/chests wisely, you will need all the gear you can get so it's best to look for hidden chests as much as you can, chests are marked on your map so keep an eye out for chests.

Grinding XP will give you an advantage over the enemies so if you're up for it, grind all you can, restarting the game does respawn certain enemies in the game.

I find the ghouls to be much more useful than the other skills, simply because they also work as decoys and give you time to catch a breath.

Using the pistol for recharging Wrath is very useful, Ghouls can be used almost without stopping by shooting the enemy as the ghouls recharge Wrath and your pistol recharges Wrath in addition, great way to play it safe.

Here are video guides for the game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ftVUh5a8dk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6W0FC8XHG8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AcldtJFwmY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tlm1nE9-J88

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuFLT6jwmbM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1z61IoGtM7M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTOfC5a-QAQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVqihvXKfqg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqryaBG9jQ0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSSXHybCM4k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aIsvDaJRjo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mF05LgsBos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVmAHyoylMs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDBLmb6a76Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCQbh2E8nis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02QhK_uMgfM

Edited by Terminator
Unembedded the videos.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey I haven't picked this game up yet but I'm interested. Haven't played the normal version but it seems a bit easy after reading these forums. How would you rate the added deathinitive difficulty out of 10?

Hi buddy,

I got the game on release and was in the same boat as you.

Ive started on Deathinitive with the goal to complete as fast as possible, earn the Deathinitive Trophy, then change difficulty to Easy and collect all collectibles etc.

Im on the last Act now after 18 rs playtime, Level 16 and i will be honest, it has been quite difficult at times. I havent been exploring much so maybe my equipment is poor??

Its mainly the Bosses and the times when the gates close and you have to kill every enemy to unlock the gates, some of them are a pain. The first arena in Pschyamera took me 2hrs to complete, what a bloody pain.

But the other difficult arenas/bosses perhaps only take 30mins or less to master.

So to sum up, for somebody to start on Deathintive who has never played Darksiders 2 before, the difficulty will perhaps be between 6 or 8 out of 10 i reckon!!

Hope this helps

Not sure yet, I just defeated the Guardian, it seems like Normal mode rules are here, it's only much harder.

I think I'll start on normal JUST in case the level cap is still locked.

Did they do anything about the inventory space - like increase it?

I remember constantly having to get rid of gear because there was no space left.

I think I'll start on normal JUST in case the level cap is still locked.

Did they do anything about the inventory space - like increase it?

I remember constantly having to get rid of gear because there was no space left.

Completely up to you buddy.

Im sure it is still locked as the enemies levels are still based of the area you find them in rather than the level you are!

I personally chose to start on Deathinitive to prevent another full playthrough! Im glad i did now because its taking ages! However, choosing Deathinitive on NG+ may be easier due to you having pretty good equipment already!!

About the inventory space; im not entirely sure because i didnt play the PS3 but, i am having to drop/sell equipment due to having no space! I could sell it all, but i want to keep it to upgrade Possessed Weapons I find.gf

Hi buddy,

I got the game on release and was in the same boat as you.

Ive started on Deathinitive with the goal to complete as fast as possible, earn the Deathinitive Trophy, then change difficulty to Easy and collect all collectibles etc.

Im on the last Act now after 18 rs playtime, Level 16 and i will be honest, it has been quite difficult at times. I havent been exploring much so maybe my equipment is poor??

Its mainly the Bosses and the times when the gates close and you have to kill every enemy to unlock the gates, some of them are a pain. The first arena in Pschyamera took me 2hrs to complete, what a bloody pain.

But the other difficult arenas/bosses perhaps only take 30mins or less to master.

So to sum up, for somebody to start on Deathintive who has never played Darksiders 2 before, the difficulty will perhaps be between 6 or 8 out of 10 i reckon!!

Hope this helps

If you spend time grinding XP and finding every chest you can get as you progress (some on the main world seem like you need certain items) you could drop the difficulty to platinum by a few points. Even more if you decide to do a lower difficulty and NG+ Deathinitive.

If you spend time grinding XP and finding every chest you can get as you progress (some on the main world seem like you need certain items) you could drop the difficulty to platinum by a few points. Even more if you decide to do a lower difficulty and NG+ Deathinitive.

Are you sure about this, is this from playing yourself on PS4 and you have done Deathintive on NG and NG+ already??

Deathintive is more difficult than Apocalyptic!

I did grind a little, and to be honest what i might find from exploring perhaps wont be good enough to warrant all the extra time id have to put in. What gets you on Deathinitive is not really a single monster, them parts just take a few tries! Its when you have multiple enemies at once to face, you die in literally 1 to 3 hits depending on the enemy!

Your constantly dodging, but sometimes you get caught for a monster off screen and BOOM, your dead. Unless there are some item thats greatly increase your stats, wont make much of a difference im sad to say!

I agree that NG+ may be easier as iI said in an earlier post. However, it may not not, i dont know yet as ive not got that far, which is why i say MAY!

Honestly though, coming from a DarkSouls player, the difficulty isnt that bad!

EDIT:

I think you guys may be right who suggest completing Deathinitive on NG+! I may have made a mistake in picking Deathintive for the 1st ever time ive played this game :(!

The truth is, i thought i would save time, but honestly, i think most my time has gone on retrying!

Starting Deathintive from Level 0 is a nono i guess.

Best route would be.start on Easy, get everything you can as advised by Trophy Guide. But DO NOT open anything in the Death Tombs. Once you are Level 22, then proceed to the Death Tombs, 1st get the item that grants 90% chance of getting a Possessed Weapon from a rack. Then save and open a chest or rack, if you dont get what you want, quit and open the same chest again, repeat until you get what you want (may have to close application rather than quit). You want a Possessed Scythe with; lifesteal/crit chance/crit dmg/shock or whatever. Once you have awesome equipment, then proceed to NG+ and speed through on Deathintive.

Hopefully will be easier that way wont it, any suggestions?

Edited by optimusmart

Well you're definitely underleveled, I remember my Apocalyptic playthrough on PS3, I was like level 23 or 24 after the story. These few extra levels do make a difference. Deathinitive ain't much more difficult than Apocalyptic, but grinding is surely the way to go if playing on that difficulty on your 1st playthrough. I've only just started my Deathinitive run, (level 6, just reached Drenchfort). I'll totally grind one or two more levels on Stalkers before I progress any further. This might take longer, but makes your playthrough considerably easier.

And don't forget that (at least on PS3 edition), around level 17 you'll find lifesteal weapons in shops. This will make your playthrough even easier. I reached level 17 shortly after the Psychameron boss fight (Basileus and Achidna). The weapon you're rewarded for this fight (Achidna's Fangs) by the way is a great weapon to use just before you're able to swing your first lifesteal weapons.

Can you start this difficulty on your first run? And would you recommend it trophy-wise? So grinding seems the way to go, which isn't really an issue for me I quite enjoy it.

I just picked it up and can't wait to play it :) I'll have to do a little research about trophies first.

Yep you can chose any difficulty as your 1st playthrough, including Deathinitive. It is doable, if you do some minor grinding.

The advantage of doing a normal run-through and Deathinitive as a 2nd speedrun is that you have totally no difficulties in Deathinitive mode. Not much of a challenge but deathinitively an easier time on the hardest mode. It might be faster to do a normal run first and a Deathinitive speedrun 2nd, because if you start on Deathinitive, you'll end up somewhere around levels 22-25, meaning you still have to do either the DLC or at least half a 2nd playthrough to grind to level 30.

Your choice in the end. Going hardest on your 1st is definitely more rewarding.

Here's a small trick for those starting out on Deathinitive. In the Forge Lands, the weapons trainer "gives" you a quest to battle him. You'll probably lose big time early on. But after losing you'll respawn at the same spot you lost, with your health bar at full.

So if you're low on health and don't wanna spend a health potion or if you've even run out of health potions, return to the trainer, fight him and see your health restored. Wrath won't restore but you can hit the training dummies a few times to restore Wrath as well.

Not a gamebreaking trick but it might help you out of a tight spot. Just make sure you don't actually beat the trainer, but with low health on Deathinitive, that shouldn't be a problem.

Ive got to say, i definitely recommend beginning on easy, and then playing NG+ on Deathinitive!

I changed to Easy in the last Act and ive got to say, its so easier and enjoyable!

Now im sure beginning on Deathinitive is fine for the already experienced players from the PS3!

However, for the newcomers this is perhaps not a good option! I am lucky in that i am a newcomer so my perspective is not clouded by experience!

There may be some Newcomers that find Deathinitive easy, some that may not! However, starting on easy APPLIES to everybody!

Playing Deathinitive on your first playthrough is making the game unnecessarily diificult Why not play on NG+ and make it easier!

If you want a challenge, play on DEATHINITIVE on 1st playthrough after Plat! I Or why not just play through the game with only your starting weapons with no Skills upgraded (I know, thats not neccessary, but neither is playing Deathinitive on your first playthrough)!

Im all up for a Hard game! If I really like a game, the difficulty doesnt matter, however, i will not deliberately make a game hard for myself if given the option!

Also, it may seem quicker, but for a Newcomer to begin on Deathinitive, it will take longer overall!!

Thought it may be good for a newcomer to hear this from another newcomer!!

Changing the Topic briefly, i wish there was a complete collectibles tracker list. Which told you what collectibles you can acquire when you first enter an area, and which you will acquire Endgame! We could print it off then and tick them off as we went along, be so much more convenient! Everyone would be happy then with a video and text guide!

Is anybody working on 1??

If not, i may design 1 myself eventually!

Black Ops 3 soon............Zombies ;)

Changing the Topic briefly, i wish there was a complete collectibles tracker list. Which told you what collectibles you can acquire when you first enter an area, and which you will acquire Endgame! We could print it off then and tick them off as we went along, be so much more convenient! Everyone would be happy then with a video and text guide!

You mean this : http://www.playstationtrophies.org/forum/darksiders-ii/240527-collectible-tracker-spreadsheet.html by rennelf ?

I used it on PS3 and it's definitely useful. I recommend it to everyone. I plan to re-use it again when I'll replay the game on PS4. ;)

Playing Deathinitive on your first playthrough is making the game unnecessarily diificult Why not play on NG+ and make it easier!

Not necessarily. As mentioned above, you were way underleveled. That makes things totally difficult. I've started act 2 on level 13, just completed Gilded Arena (level 15), I'll hit level 17 still during act 2. Level 17 is where the game begins to ease up. That's where health and wrath steal items start to drop and you can also buy them from vendors. This is the moment to start on your first health steal possessed weapon. And trust me, this IS game breaking. Fighting against bosses and mobs without breaking a sweat on the hardest difficulty is a sweet moment!

Another great tip for new players on Deathinitive: Teleport slash heals nicely while doing damage to enemies (better results as you progress). Combine that with the "Skeletal Axe of Rending", dropped by the Hulk Construct boss in the Lost Temple (has health steal 10% which works great against mobs).

And me personally I have the impression that compared to Apocalyptic on PS3 version, there seem to be more potion drops now on Deathinitive. I just fought through the Gilded Arena and had so many health potion drops that I couldn't pick up...

Not necessarily. As mentioned above, you were way underleveled. That makes things totally difficult. I've started act 2 on level 13, just completed Gilded Arena (level 15), I'll hit level 17 still during act 2. Level 17 is where the game begins to ease up. That's where health and wrath steal items start to drop and you can also buy them from vendors. This is the moment to start on your first health steal possessed weapon. And trust me, this IS game breaking. Fighting against bosses and mobs without breaking a sweat on the hardest difficulty is a sweet moment!

Another great tip for new players on Deathinitive: Teleport slash heals nicely while doing damage to enemies (better results as you progress). Combine that with the "Skeletal Axe of Rending", dropped by the Hulk Construct boss in the Lost Temple (has health steal 10% which works great against mobs).

And me personally I have the impression that compared to Apocalyptic on PS3 version, there seem to be more potion drops now on Deathinitive. I just fought through the Gilded Arena and had so many health potion drops that I couldn't pick up...

True buddy, true!

I geuss Because im new to this game is why i didnt realise i may be underlevelled, playing Easy 1st would have prevented this!

I think bottom line is there are 2 ways to approach this game in difficulty terms;

1st approach:

1. Begin on Deathinitive (which will make it the hardest it can be).

2. Play NG+ on easy (which will make a already easy difficuly even easier)

2nd approach:

1. Begin on easy (it will be easy)

2. Play NG+ on Deathinitive (Which will make it the easiet it can be)

Choose wisely guys ;)

1st approach:

1. Begin on Deathinitive (which will make it the hardest it can be).

2. Play NG+ on easy (which will make a already easy difficuly even easier)

2nd approach:

1. Begin on easy (it will be easy)

2. Play NG+ on Deathinitive (Which will make it the easiet it can be)

Choose wisely guys ;)

To be honest, playing NG+ on easy after beating the game on Apocalyptic (on PS3) was hilarious. It was like them famous PC game cheats called Godmode...! Looking forward to do the same after beating Deathinitive.

But you're totally right, playing on easy first and NG+ on Deathinitive is deathinitively easier.

This is the moment to start on your first health steal possessed weapon. And trust me, this IS game breaking. Fighting against bosses and mobs without breaking a sweat on the hardest difficulty is a sweet moment!

I just passed this part in my playthrough, and my god that axe IS OP. Game is much more fun now, just swinging around with my axe not losing health on Deathinitive difficulty, made it quite a bit easier too! Really enjoying my first playthrough so far ! :)

I just passed this part in my playthrough, and my god that axe IS OP. Game is much more fun now, just swinging around with my axe not losing health on Deathinitive difficulty, made it quite a bit easier too! Really enjoying my first playthrough so far ! :)

Happy to hear that, thanks for the feedback!

deathinitively easier.

Hehe, like the.pun :)

I was the sucker who didnt find out about this until 20hr into Deathintive and perhaps 500+ deaths (yep, about 500, im a very patient man haha) and by then i figured id do Deathintive in NG+!

You mean this : http://www.playstationtrophies.org/forum/darksiders-ii/240527-collectible-tracker-spreadsheet.html by rennelf ?

I used it on PS3 and it's definitely useful. I recommend it to everyone. I plan to re-use it again when I'll replay the game on PS4. ;)

cant even view it pal, because he changed it into a PHP file

Edited by optimusmart