One Of The Worst Fuckin Games...

jayremedy

...I have ever played.

Who thought the Construct Hulk boss fight was a good idea? Let's make it so that the player has to throw these explosives to weaken the boss, but let's also make it so that the explosives blow up every three seconds whenever the boss wants to attack. Also, when they explode, let's have the explosives spawn on the opposite side of the player so he has to run to them and by the time he gets there, they explode again. Oh, I got another idea, when the boss is weakened, let's spawn some more bad guys so that he can't get to the boss.

Not to mention the ridiculously horrible combat system. Holy shit.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I really disliked the first game, since it was clearly just a "God of War" clone...but done half-assed.

Then I started to play this game, and it made me wish that I was playing the first title.

NOTHING was improved in this game from the original. Whatever they took from part 1, they made worse.

---------------------SPOILERS BELOW------------------------------

- No double jump.

- Gun with limited ammo (and stupid "Cool down" time before reloading).

- RPG gameplay that CAPS your progress (forcing you to go NG+ to max out).

- Items that just clutter up your inventory, with only 10% of them being useful.

- WAY too many hidden items, and ZERO items to help you find them (the first game gave you two options to find everything without a guide).

- Storyline that has VERY little to do with Part 1.

- Game LOVES to lock up. It froze on me FIVE TIMES while on Earth, and has froze about 10 times in total so far.

- Puzzles that feel even more boring/tedious than in the previous game.

- Boss fights that feel cheap, and some will make you waste your time before finding out the hidden way to do damage.

- Checkpoints that pretend to save, but don't. I had to manually save after every item pick up, since if I died and was put back before I went there...the item was never picked up according to the game (I would test this, and the icon would be shown, but it never actually saved anything).

- Giving you ZERO experience for killing anything lower than your level. How many RPG's do this?

- Death wanting to GIVE LIFE instead of take it. Stupidest idea of them all.

Wow, This game is great what the hell are you guys talking about?

No double jump? You can run along the walls!

So you are bitching about the gun? You want to use the Gun a secondary weapon over your Scythes? Ones you can make yourself and are way bad ass. (Mine would freeze enemies and give me infinite health regen). Are you mental?

Caps your progress? You mean the skill tree? Well pick one or the other. Max out one and pick the ones that are good from the other.

10 percent of the items being useful? Have your weapons use them for experience man. I made BAD ass weapons and customized graphics on mine.

Its an adventure game? This has been this way since 1985, with Zelda man. Go bitch about not being able to find a heart container, Oh wait, we did that 30 years ago already.

Storyline has everything to do with 1. He is doing it for his brother.

I never had issues with any of the fights or the saving.

A lot of RPGs do this in terms of experience. It is called Graying of mobs. IE when you are higher level, the mobs name color will go gray instead of being green, yellow, or red. It has been this way for a VERY long time.

Red = Will kick your ass.

Yellow = Will give you a challenge and may kick your ass.

Green = Your level.

Grey = 2 levels or more above it and will not give you experience.

This is not a new concept man. You need to play more RPGs I guess. Some games even have elite mobs, where not only are they Red named mobs, but they have a shield around their name or portrait, WoW does it. This is not new man. Gray mobs have never given experience. Welcome to the 90s?

If you mean Death wanting to give life, to save his brother, or save the human race, I do not see the issue here.

The game was great in my opinion.

• 1 month later...
So much hate for Darksiders...

The Darksiders games reminded me a lot of the old Zelda games. It is a shame no one enjoyed these games, as they were my favorite.

I really enjoyed the first Darksiders but the second I really hated because of the bugs and gamebreaking stuff that came out along with its release. Other than that it was good though!

I really enjoyed the first Darksiders but the second I really hated because of the bugs and gamebreaking stuff that came out along with its release. Other than that it was good though!

I dunno, but I would not base my opinion on that. I say that because the game was fantastic and it was a shame THQ shut-down, or went bankrupt since I wanted a Darksiders 3. Nonetheless, the series is not dead as another company is making the third installment. However, I am afraid they will not be like the other two, at which I loved.

I absolutely hated this game. It was awful and had little to no redeemable qualities. I know this may sound like an overstatement, but it was truly one of the worst games I played on PS3.

Reaper Cloud gets a lot of it right in his post above, but I'll expand on a few points.

The story is non existent and it's delivered at the pace of a snail in a coma. It opens up with Death trying to save his brother, which is a good start, but for 30hrs it's nothing but non related fetch quests and silly errands with a passing mention of the brother here and there. You never feel any sort of tension and each area has zero connection to the overall plot. All you feel like you're doing in going from dungeon to dungeon. At some parts during the story I forgot what the point of it all was. I barely remember the ending and I only beat it a few weeks ago.

Gameplay is just a convoluted version of Darksiders 1 one with far weaker combat. In Darksiders 1 you take each area as a puzzle to be worked out there and then based on the skills you've learned. The rooms are laid out in front on you and it's up to you to solve each one. Why it works in Darksiders 1 is pacing. Each room is usually quickly solved and you move on to the next in quick succession. You're constantly on the move and feel like you're working to achieve something. Darksiders 2 puzzles in involve entering area and going all over the place, up and down floors trying to do it in the order they want. It's slow and often times you're standing still looking around trying to work out what to do. Couple with the absurd amount of collectibles hidden there's absolutely no flow to the game.

Combat is just...It's just...so uninspiring. Same enemies constantly, and it's more about your gear than actual skill. You can build decent scythes early that steal life and just mash your way to victory. Not many fights require anything other than dodge mash, dodge and mash. Death lacks far more combat options than War. I know they're not the same character's but War had more varied abilities like a move set to focus down and enemy by lifting them into the air, etc.

The RPG elements are tacked on and implemented poorly. Way too much gear thrown at you, with little thought as to its abilities. All random stats, all luck based on drop. No strategy to acquire gear you actually want. Death's abilities aren't particularly useful. I beat the game on apocalyptic and respec many times. Found all but Ageis Shield and the Teleport ability useful. Mostly relied on my OP health stealing scythes to just do everything. Despite having a conversation wheel it's completely useless. Extra conversations don't lead anywhere and it only seems there because Mass Effect made it cool.

Unless you use a guide, good luck getting any of the vast amount of collectibles, a lot of which are so easy to miss. Enjoy the 200 useless items they throw at you for your limited inventory. Enjoy the god awful lock on camera that changes enemy if you dodge or turn your head to cough. Enjoy the camera getting stuck if you're pressed into a corner. Enjoy the terrible art style of Death looking like a pile of scrap metal drawn by a 14 year old in what he considers cool.

TL,DR: Darksiders II is the gaming equivalent of ISIS.

The story is non existent and it's delivered at the pace of a snail in a coma. It opens up with Death trying to save his brother, which is a good start, but for 30hrs it's nothing but non related fetch quests and silly errands with a passing mention of the brother here and there. You never feel any sort of tension and each area has zero connection to the overall plot. All you feel like you're doing in going from dungeon to dungeon. At some parts during the story I forgot what the point of it all was. I barely remember the ending and I only beat it a few weeks ago.

This is similar to Darksiders 1 also, as you have to get certain relics in order to proceed to the next area. War does it the same way with requests, but they are story related. The only difference between Darksiders 1 and Darksiders 2 is the fact you are given more of a "RPG" layout aka quests in Darksider 2, than a linear story with War in Darksiders 1. Personally, I loved the idea as it gives you more to do than progress mindlessly, without some sort of achievement while you play.

I loved Darksiders 1 and 2, but overall you cannot compare the two as they literally play the same. Like I said, the only difference is the second game gives you more for your money by adding quests that benefit you when you complete them. The level-up system is great too since you are rewarded with better weapons as you play and do quests.

In Darksiders 1 you take each area as a puzzle to be worked out there and then based on the skills you've learned. The rooms are laid out in front on you and it's up to you to solve each one. Why it works in Darksiders 1 is pacing. Each room is usually quickly solved and you move on to the next in quick succession. You're constantly on the move and feel like you're working to achieve something. Darksiders 2 puzzles in involve entering area and going all over the place, up and down floors trying to do it in the order they want. It's slow and often times you're standing still looking around trying to work out what to do. Couple with the absurd amount of collectibles hidden there's absolutely no flow to the game.

I never had this issue, but that is similar to Darksiders 1. If you remember in LoZ, which the games dungeons is based off of, the Water Temple made you do go back and forth to raise the water level in order to reach a certain item. There were only certain locations where it would be an issue. It was not until Twilight Princess that Nintendo put more collectibles in dungeons. In a way, it is the same thing, but no one is forcing you to get the collectibles as you mainly have to back-track anyways.

Combat is just...It's just...so uninspiring. Same enemies constantly, and it's more about your gear than actual skill. You can build decent scythes early that steal life and just mash your way to victory. Not many fights require anything other than dodge mash, dodge and mash. Death lacks far more combat options than War. I know they're not the same character's but War had more varied abilities like a move set to focus down and enemy by lifting them into the air, etc.

Actually, I felt as the combat in the first game was crap. The second game made combat a lot more flexible and easier. At least Death can dodge a lot faster than War, as War 70% of the time would take damage unless you killed them first. I actually enjoyed playing as Death as it gives you more freedom than when you played as War.

This is similar to Darksiders 1 also, as you have to get certain relics in order to proceed to the next area. War does it the same way with requests, but they are story related. The only difference between Darksiders 1 and Darksiders 2 is the fact you are given more of a "RPG" layout aka quests in Darksider 2, than a linear story with War in Darksiders 1. Personally, I loved the idea as it gives you more to do than progress mindlessly, without some sort of achievement while you play.

It is also a valid criticism of Darksiders 1, I will grant you that hence why I didn't really mention Darksiders 1 when making the point. However, the art style of Darksiders and general pacing of the game and its overall length meant the story was never stretched too thin. The problem with Darksiders II is the constant shift in landscape and the really long drawn out fetch quests that make an already thin story wafer thin. You could easily spend 7 hours one of the worlds, get a 1 minute mention of the overall story and then spend many more hours doing the fetch quest that is practically unrelated to the story.

That and the fact War is hardly mentioned, he's hardly seen and there's no tension in the story. It all feels sluggish. No sword of Damocles dangling anywhere. It's utterly forgettable and no one in the story seems worried for War so I didn't either. I know Darksiders 1 story isn't anything special, but at least it unfolded over the game as opposed to the second where it was Objective: Save War, then 30hrs of faffing about, then fin. Nothing was really learned or revealed. Again, not saying Darksiders 1 had a great story, but it had its basics right at least.

I loved Darksiders 1 and 2, but overall you cannot compare the two as they literally play the same. Like I said, the only difference is the second game gives you more for your money by adding quests that benefit you when you complete them. The level-up system is great too since you are rewarded with better weapons as you play and do quests.

They do not play the same. A lot of people like Darksiders 1 and not 2 because they went with a different direction for the 2nd and I'm sure a lot of people like the 2nd over the first for the same reasons. Sure, the basic concepts are there, but the implementation in the 2nd is different and the game is poorer for it in my opinion.

Puzzles are more convoluted in Darksiders 2, the combat handles differently. You said yourself below you prefer the second game's combat so it has to be different. I think Death has less options in combat and with the poor RPG elements and unbalanced gear combat is pointless, especially later on in the game. The weapon drops are so badly implemented. Completely random, which rewards luck and not skill and are so numerous my inventory was full for most of the game, a lot of which was complete junk that was never used, but sold for money. Money that was meaningless because weapons were easier to come by in drops. It was a cycle that didn't really seem that well thought out.

As neat as it sounds with possession weapons and feeding them the developers never balanced it. The health steal and crit chance are so OP and given how many you find from drops meant you could easily get a scythe that could nearly always do crit damage and give you back health. I was invincible doing 2.5k a hit which meant all I had to do was spam. No other reason not to.

I never had this issue, but that is similar to Darksiders 1. If you remember in LoZ, which the games dungeons is based off of, the Water Temple made you do go back and forth to raise the water level in order to reach a certain item. There were only certain locations where it would be an issue. It was not until Twilight Princess that Nintendo put more collectibles in dungeons. In a way, it is the same thing, but no one is forcing you to get the collectibles as you mainly have to back-track anyways.

I would honestly have agreed with your last point here if it was just about collectibles for trophies, but the collectibles were the games main side quests. They rewarded massive amounts of XP and gear and to not do them would put you at a disadvantage. Even the stones rewarded characters stats like Critical Chance. Those were insane rewards that couldn't be ignored. I actually enjoy collectibles. Thrill of the hunt and all that, but not being able to make it 10 feet without checking a guide really ruins the experience.

As for the actual puzzles in Darksiders 1 my point was they were quick and kept the tempo going. In Darksiders II it would be puzzles for 20mins, then followed by a 30sec fight, followed by 25min puzzle. It completely killed any pacing the game had. Darksiders 1 was fight to clear room, short puzzle followed by fighting to get out of it. It was always puzzle, fight, puzzle, fight. In Darksiders II there was just too much disjointed action. You could go ages without fighting and then on Earth go ages just grinding past hoards with no puzzles. It had no flow for me. Too inconsistent.

Actually, I felt as the combat in the first game was crap. The second game made combat a lot more flexible and easier. At least Death can dodge a lot faster than War, as War 70% of the time would take damage unless you killed them first. I actually enjoyed playing as Death as it gives you more freedom than when you played as War.

I didn't think the combat in one was crap. Nothing particularly special about it, but not crap. I find Death's dodge is as bad as War's, which I agree was a problem in the first game. Problem with combat in Darksiders 2 is it's really dull. The poor RPG systems gives OP weapon builds that only benefit from spamming same move. I was always the same combo for me, over and over and over again. Worked on every enemy and I didn't even need to dodge. That's a broken flawed system and the game deserves no credit for it. I don't even think I used Death's abilities. No need at all. Not one of them really useful. Ageis Shield maybe and the teleport was good only for closing the distance.

Only time the game needed any combat tactics and skill was early stages of apocalyptic and only if you started on that difficulty and didn't go into it in NG+.

I just didn't think it was any good and it's a shame because I went in with the best of intentions. Despite its flaws, I thought Darksiders 1 was a decent game. :(

• 4 weeks later...

I'm indecisive about this game, though to be fair, i am verging on hating it more than loving it.

i really enjoyed Darksiders, it was the first game of the genre i'd played, after deciding to take on something different than FPS - and i thoroughly enjoyed it.

DS2 though, i don't think that i've rage quit a game so often.

I'm currently about 30% through it - none of the bosses thus far have given me any real concern, but Death has died about 100+ times so far due to the ridiculous wall-running - falling to his demise far more often than being bested by bosses.

After completing The Court of Bones, and being rewarded with the Soul Splitter, there's a section where Death has to battle a bunch of mini bosses - i think three wraiths are the first batch, with more wraiths hot on their heels, a bunch of shield things and finally 3 of the huge lumbering lads - breezed through that section, used hardly any health potions and only three wrath potions - move on into the next area, a nice wall running section, against the clock with rising spikey things to avoid - can i do this f****** stoopid area, can i hell.

ive not played it now for 3 days - simply because of that area.

Maybe i need some new controlers or something, but Death either wont let go or wont jump when i hit the button - and the timing is so tight, one error puts you back at the begining. Who in the world would think that would be fun, or a good idea?

Not at all impressed with the games gameplay at all.

War's double jump far outweighs Death's wall running (lack of) skills.

And as for that blue hand thing! Hit the damn target that i'm looking at center screen for hells sake, or, as is so often the case, fall into the bottomless pit... Grab what i'm looking at, it's just there, grab it... Oh ffs!

Over and over and over again. Or, as in this case, down and down and down into the abyss!

Death here isn't the same Death from Pratchett's world, obviously - else he'd have been replaced long, long ago!