How the F#%* do you beat Apocalyptic!!

Dave_bosoxfan

Seriously how can this be voted as a 3 or 4 difficulty game!

I have clawed and fought my way to the Archon fight but it has taken 25 hours so far and I reckon I have died way over a 100 times!

Now when fighting Archon all he does is stay in the air shooting me with his yellow bolts and I cannot damage him. I try to grapple him but none of my weapons do any damage when he is in this form.

I honestly think this is the hardest game I have played this year, but general difficulty rating seem to indicate that I suck. :mad:

See this quote from the stickied guide :):

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/614/986.jpg Clipped Wings (B)

Defeat Archon

This is story related trophy that will unlock naturally during your playthrough of the game. For additional information with potential spoilers, read the detailed description below.

After clearing the Ivory Citadel and defeating the Scribe you will have to return to the Crystal Spire, to confront the Archon about the key. Simply defeat him and the trophy will unlock.

Click the video below to see the entire boss encounter:

Credit for this video goes to

PowerPyx

Edited by Terminator
Attempting to fix embeding issue.

Some games just don't click for some people mate. I breezed through Darksiders on the hardest difficulty, but then games like Arkham Asylum combat rooms which got rated 6/10 for difficulty, had me swearing and rage quitting like I wouldn't believe.

Its definitely a hack & slash thing though mate lol. Throughout the ages H&S have always been the most difficult games to tackle for most people, even if the genre is there favourite.

And you can bet mate, once you beat a truly gut wrenching difficult section, you probably won't die for the rest of the game and beat bosses with your eyes closed.

I will be the first to admit that I am not the best at hack and slash games. I think my problem with this game is the combat system seems to be a bit flawed. The evade function I think could work better and some of the combos take to long and you always get hit doing them.

I think the batman games have a near perfect combat mechanical and if I rate that as a 10 then I would give this a 4.

Don't get me wrong I love the game Darksiders 2 and am glad I have played it but it just feels to be not quite finished.....

I have beat it now and have changed the difficulty down to do the side quests and mop up the Collectables so no more toys out of the pram moments hopefully. :applause:

• 3 months later...

I just finished my Apocalyptic play thru and it wasnt as Hard as I thought it was going to be. I had more of a hard time finding the collectables than I did with the Boss fights. Majority of the enemies I came across that I was able to hit 2-3 times before them completed their full-swing attack, were pretty easy to gauge and figure out they attack patterns. :cool:

• 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...

i too struggled with a couple of the early bosses, though by the end the final bosses were dealt with fairly easilly.

i struggled like hell with that construction boss, and had a bit of trouble with the Archon, but the 'toughest' bosses - the deposed king, Samael (spl?) and Absalon were ridiculously easy by comparrison - infact i didn't even know that that last boss, Absalon, was Absalon until i beat him and all the trophies started popping up lol - i ust thought that it was another new demon (i was playing with the sound down, because it was so late sigh :D

The end fight scenes with the Archon and Absalon were pretty impressive though - worth playing the game just for that :)

i think i was level 20 when i faught the deposed king, and 21 when i fronted up to Samael and Absalon - i've not hit level 22 yet (not far off though), and i think my best sycthes are hitting out at 160ish on damage - just finishing off a few of the secondary quests before re-doing the final boss fight and starting ng+

Am i right, or wrong, but does Samael just 'give up' after he's took his beating?

:D

Edited by yoda_squad

Additional to above:

Just started my NG+ (having beat the final boss by accident lol, i returned to Apocalyptic to complete the last of the secondary challenges - as the guide suggested* :))

After collecting the Guilotine sycthes (awarded for returning all the stonebites to Blackroot), i went back to the Apocalyptic maze armed to the teeth with ten x 10% Arcane Critical Damage boost (ten multiples of 2 Mystic + 1 Resistance - whose each trade gets 10% Arcane Critical Damage when fed to Blackroot).

With the guilotine and that 100% Arcane critical damage, in a build with Abyssal armour, and a high Arcane ranking Talisman, it made the final 2 chapters of the maze + the final Maze boss on Apocalyptic a total breeze.

Maybe i was quite lucky with my weapons builds through the game - i didn't really focus on Wrath or Health steel with the weapons, but got those through the skills tree and built weapons mainly with high end strength and damage stats, but it wasn't really till toward the very end of my Apocalyptic game that i focussed on building Arcane critical damage with the stonebites and weapons etc.

If i had any advice for playing through on Apocalyptic, i'd say play through on easy first, collect all the stonebites and decent weapons and stack up all your exp to max out the crows and ghouls, health and wrath steel, on the skills tree (+ using redemption to spam enemies once the ghouls and crows are working) and focus building Arcane critical damage on your weapons together with trading stonebites to your own style. Then go for Apocalyptic on NG+ and really enjoy the game because you will have awesome weaponry and skills :)

By spamming everything with Ghouls, Crows (they restore Death's health) and Redemption (restores Death's Wrath), i didn't use a single potion or lose a life through levels 8-10 and that Soul Arbiter boss in the maze - so looking forward to using it in the crucible on NG+.

For NG+ i changed my build slightly to gain more exp toward level 25 and 30, but the build with Guilotine sythes, possesed gauntlets, maxed out ghouls and crows, Abyssal armour and Arcane Talisman + the stonebite 100% Arcane critical damage from blackroot really is a perfect combo imho.

Currently in NG+ @ Level 23 and i have a pair of possesed scythes that i've built to have high damage with frost damage (even fed them a pair of possesed sycthes lol) - i think they cause 260 damage or similar, the Guilotine Scythes don't have as much damage @ 161-185, but they have +300% Critical Damage which s pretty awesome with that 100% (10 x 10%) Arcane critical damage and remain my weapon of choice.

Iv'e not really enjoyed the game that much tbf - the collecting stuff was a pain in the ass if i'm honest, but i'd love to plat' the game and start a NG+ on Apocalyptic just to play these weapons and upgraded stats** haha

And, if you enjoy this game and are playing it for fun, i really would advise playing the game through on easy first, as i say above, getting the weapons and stats up and then playing Apoc for max fun with kick ass weaponry and stats. i kinda wish i'd done that, and reckon i'd have enjoyed it a whole lot more....

* Thanks for that tip F8 Fool ;)

** But i think you can only play NG+ one time

Edited by yoda_squad