Darksiders sold to Nordic Games

F8L Fool

The Darksiders brand has been officially sold off to Nordic Games (source). I for one had been hoping and praying a major publisher or developer would pick it up, or at the very least someone with a good track record. If you've never heard of them there is a good reason why: they have never published a AAA title before.

Technically they did publish the PC version of Alan Wake last year, but that's just a re-release of a Microsoft product, rather than an original IP.

Furthermore, it should be noted that they are a publisher and do not develop games in house. This means they could still sign on a well known studio to develop the game for them, but that would still leave them with the responsibility of actually publishing, marketing, and getting the game out there.

What does this mean for the possibility of a third installment? I'd say it's grim unless they ink an amazing deal with a top tier developer or outright resale it. I personally would've rather seen it unsold at the end of the auction.

UPDATE: Their CEO just released the following statement

“First and foremost we are very happy about this deal which also turns over a new leaf for the entire Nordic Games Group. In the long term, we either want to cooperate with the original creators or best possible developers in order to work on sequels or additional content for these titles. A very important point for us is not to dash into several self-financed multi-million dollar projects right away, but rather to continue our in-depth analysis of all titles and carefully selecting different financing models for developing new installments of acquired IPs."

He said all of the right things but only time will tell how things play out.

Edited by F8L Fool
Update

Yes, let's cross our fingers...

Also I'm surprised Crytek didn't get it seeing that they said recently they were interested by the franchise after ex Vigil Games employees joined their team. They could have easily let the development of the third game continues (and the first details sounded promising).

Nordic Games is a good publisher and at least we can expect some great collector editions like they did for Alan Wake. They did a fabulous job on them. And the game wasn't a portage of the 360 version so it was a lot more than a simple re-release.

For the future game itself it will depend on the team who will be in charge of the project. I really hope they'll give the franchise to a talented developer company. So we'll see but at least I'm glad Darksiders is safe for now. ;)

EDIT : Look what I just came across : http://www.nowgamer.com/news/1897972/crytek_dev_to_nordic_wed_be_happy_to_take_darksiders_off_your_hands.html :)

Edited by Alex Fly

Yes, let's cross our fingers...

Also I'm surprised Crytek didn't get it seeing that they said recently they were interested by the franchise after ex Vigil Games employees joined their team. They could have easily let the development of the third game continues (and the first details sounded promising).

Nordic Games is a good publisher and at least we can expect some great collector editions like they did for Alan Wake. They did a fabulous job on them. And the game wasn't a portage of the 360 version so it was a lot more than a simple re-release.

For the future game itself it will depend on the team who will be in charge of the project. I really hope they'll give the franchise to a talented developer company. So we'll see but at least I'm glad Darksiders is safe for now. ;)

EDIT : Look what I just came across : Crytek Dev To Nordic: 'We'd Be Happy To Take Darksiders Off Your Hands' - NowGamer :)

This would be great, I would love it if Nordic and Crytek were able to work together and be able to at least get some of the "ex" vigil devs working on it.

Since yesterday, I'm keeping an eye on their forums. Fascinating reading. Looks like the publisher are big fans of the franchise and they are asking their advice to the players, they're taking part to the discussion too and I really appreciate it. That's why I'm glad it's a small but reliable publisher who got the license. Imagine what EA or Activision could have done to the franchise lol.

Fingers crossed for a partnership with ex Vigil employees. This would be a great idea indeed. :)

Well, okay, maybe not paint.

I had thought for sure this series was simply dead. While it is good to hear the right sweet nothings on the pillow, hearing that they might actually be fans, fans with a business sense? Okay, my dark little capitalist heart sings. Greed is only good when coupled with an interest in, love for, doing whatever it is people do that makes philthy lucre. Couldn't pay me enough to go to engineering school, for example. Labor of love or nothing, to my way of capitalism. Payoffs are just... one of the, if a favorable of them, end result.

Still, I'm cynical. Just a bit more hopeful. Hurry up already!

• 1 year later...

I know this thread is over a year old and what I'm posting here isn't breaking news material, but Joe Madureira (Darksiders' creative director) made a couple of comments on the future of the series on his Facebook page.

The first message was posted yesterday:

DS is not dead!!! The new owner, Nordic seems very committed to continuing the series. As far as my involvement, I can't say at this point. Hopefully we will all have exciting news about the franchise soon!!!!!!

As you can imagine, this turned quite a few heads, and he added this a few hours ago to cool things down:

Wow! After I saw all the news headlines about Darksiders today I literally had to come back and re-read what I posted! It's just been exaggerated to the point where I am seeing things like "Joe Mad confirms 3rd Darksiders game!" I ask that you please read my actual post, and not the stories or excited speculation that's cropping up everywhere!

My enthusiastic outlook on the future of the series is in no way a confirmation that it's happening!! ( Sorry guys, I hate being a wet blanket! ) My post was in response to the countless messages I get from DS fans that are mourning the 'death' of the series or asking me to 'bring it back' ( which it's not in my power to do! ). Many fans still do not seem to know that the series didn't end with THQ's demise, and that the rights were picked up by Nordic Games. What that means is that a 3rd game is still *possible*. ie. 'It's not DEAD!' And that Nordic seems committed to continuing the series. Again, this isn't a confirmation--just my own positive outlook based on what I gathered from speaking with them.

Only Nordic, as the owner of the franchise can make any official decision--or announcement, about the future of Darksiders. Not me! So I probably should've chosen my words more carefully. That said, I can't help but see the feverish excitement and support from both gamers and press as an encouraging sign that DS is indeed a beloved series, and that the demand is obviously still there! Thanks, and stay hopeful!

So, as I said, it's not much (and it is by no means a confirmation that work on Darksiders 3 has effectively started), but it still is good news right?

I know this thread is over a year old and what I'm posting here isn't breaking news material, but Joe Madureira (Darksiders' creative director) made a couple of comments on the future of the series on his Facebook page.

So, as I said, it's not much (and it is by no means a confirmation that work on Darksiders 3 has effectively started), but it still is good news right?

Very good news indeed im looking forward to seeing what they do with the Franchise, maybe theyve kept it quiet and we might see something about DS3 at E3 this year who knows but im def looking forward to it esp if its gonna be on PS4 :dance:

• 1 month later...

Just found a new interview from the E3 where Reinhard Pollice, the product development director over at Nordic Games, discuss about the future of the franchise. :)

It's really interesting, just thought I'd share :

Mases Hagopian (from GenGame.net): Two months ago you guys released the new Darksiders collection bundle. Has there been any new developments with where you are going with the series. Are you guys looking for a partner?

Reinhard Pollice: We’re right now at the stage where we are looking at all possible design directions for the Darksiders franchise. I think the Darksiders franchise is well lined out, in terms of what gameplay mechanics worked out really well. Darksiders I and II teased certain things and obviously we don’t want to disappoint people. So we really want to sit back a bit, take a look at what possible angles we can take for the next Darksiders game, and also work with the right people on that.

Mases: Are you guys still in contact with Joe Madureira, David Adams, and some of the guys that have moved on to Crytek USA?

Pollice: They still love Darksiders. I don’t know if they will tell it publicly, but they do. We are talking to those guys, but that’s all I want to say right now.

[EDITOR'S NOTE: It has been clarified that Nordic Games is in touch with team members that worked on Darksiders and not necessarily Joe Madureira and David Adams]

Mases: Do they have any input on it? Their long term plans, is that something you are encompassing?

Pollice: Actually, the thing is, they never had a fully lined out plan, it was just ideas. They tried to incorporate them into Darksiders I and II, but it was never fixed that they have to go that route. There was never really a concept for Darksiders III, in terms of gameplay. They are all pretty open to what it can be. I think there are multiple angles that are good, and obviously we want to find the right one where everybody is pleased.

I’m a fan of the series myself, so I picked it up in 2010. I didn’t hear too much about the game before a friend of mine told me I should pick it up. The game was awesome, it was exactly what I was looking for. I was also a big Zelda fan at the time and it has those certain gameplay mechanics… and I’m still a big Zelda fan… and by the way, the Zelda announcement they did, it just blew my mind. I’ll just get off the show, buy a Wii U, and wait for Zelda.

Mases: I know that David Adams had hinted at one of his endgame goals was to do a Fury, Strife, War, and Death in one game – Is that a vision you share at Nordic?

Pollice: I’m not saying that we should do it, but it is one possibility. I honestly would love it, but I think it shouldn’t be a fixed four-player thing, it also needs a good single player. A lot of Darksiders fans want to have a single player experience as well.

Mases: Is there anything we can look forward too? Are you close to any sort of announcement?

Pollice: Definitely don’t pull it off the radar. Just watch out. Check out what we’re announcing. There will be a future for Darksiders. There has to be a future for Darksiders…

Mases: There has to be a future for Darksiders.

Pollice: …and it will be awesome. Darksiders is always awesome and it will continue to be awesome. It’s a rule. That’s like a rule. In the rules of the world, it is written, Darksiders must be be awesome, or is awesome.

Source : GenGAME Nordic Games Talks about the Future of Darksiders and Red Faction