All Journal Locations

Guttsu-87

Hope this helps. Feel free to use this info somewhere else, just be sure to give me credit. Thanks. :)

-Guts

Note: This list does contain some minor spoilers. You have been warned.

Note 2: There are no journals in the Prologue or The Tower of Return

--CRASH SITE--

1. After Ava and Will are seperated, you will come to a section where you must cross a fallen tree to proceed. Once you cross the tree, check behind the small stone wall ahead for a [JOURNAL].
  2. After you clear the area with the turret of all enemies, go down to the bridge. Stand facing the door you must enter, then turn left. Walk along the outter rail of the bridge to find a [JOURNAL].
  3. After you destroy the door with the turret, head through the tunnels until you reach an opening with the waterfall. There is an AMMO CACHE on the ground, and the [JOURNAL] is right next to it.
  4. After the first vertical cover fight, but before you cross the rope bridge, face the bridge, turn left and walk between the pillars. The [JOURNAL] will be behind them.
  5. After crossing the rope bridge, look to the left near the WEAPONS LOCKER. The [JOURNAL] will be next to it.
  6. After acquiring the grenades, destroy the door blocking your path. Inside the cave there will be a rope bridge. Cross it, turn right, and walk towards the torches on the pillars. The [JOURNAL] will be in between the two rightmost torches.
  7. As you exit the cave, you will come to a large swamp area. There is a large tree on your left. Behind the tree is a log, and behind the log is a [JOURNAL].

--THE VILLAGE--

1. As soon as you start the chapter, walk forward and keep the camera looking left. There will be a series of broken pieces of stone covered in moss. Behind one is a [JOURNAL].
  2. As you ascend the ramps toward the top of the temple, you should come across a fountain shaped like a lizard head on your right. The [JOURNAL] is behind the fountain.
  3. When you reach the top of the temple, Ava will say "C'mon Will" and ahead there will be a group of people. Just before the group of people there will be a door on the left, leading into a small room. A [JOURNAL] is inside that room.

--SPARE PARTS--

1. In the area where you first encounter the WATCHERs in this Chapter, there are some crates on the far left side of the area from where you start. Behind the crates is a [JOURNAL], along with some Tech Points.
  2. After Will and Ava have a conversation that ends with Ava saying "Everything is a test...", you will come to another vertical combat area. Take out all the Watchers, then go to the second to last platform of the area (if you're on the level with the AMMO CACHE, you went too far up). Look to your left and you should see a ledge with a tree growing out of it. Jump to the ledge and follow the wall around to find some Tech Points and a [JOURNAL].
  3. When you reach the FIRST giant pit you must hover down, hover to a platform with some airplane parts on it. The [JOURNAL] is on the platform in plain site.
  4. After the SECOND giant pit, the objective marker will be located on a ledge you must land on. The [JOURNAL] is on the ledge in plain site. When you land on the ledge, a short cutscene will play where Will says "Ava, I've recovered a copper coil." After it, turn around to pick up the [JOURNAL].
  5. After the short cutscene where Will says "Got a piston," turn around. The [JOURNAL] will be straight ahead.
  6. After the cutscene where Will falls from the mast of the USS Cyclops, look down at the lifeboat straight ahead of you. Hover to it to pickup the [JOURNAL] located inside.
  7. After the USS Cyclops has broken in half and Will is back on the outside of the ship, there will come a point when there is a large stack of crates in the center of the area, and Will must proceed on the right side of those crates. Once you can stand on those crates, look to your left. The [JOURNAL] should be sitting on a crate. This is right at the end of the Chapter. The yellow objective marker will only be about 10m away.

--VILLAGE ATTACK--

1. After defeating the Knight, cross the broken bridge. Follow the path until you must jump over the chasm to the left. The [JOURNAL] will be sitting on the ground near a torch and an AMMO CACHE.
  2. After the vertical combat area, you will enter the temple area. As you walk past the WEAPONS LOCKER on your left, look to the left for a ramp that goes up to a hut. There is a [JOURNAL] inside the hut.
  3. While fighting through the gauntlet of Watchers in the temple, you will come to a large area with an opening on the righthand side looking out onto the broken bridge where you fought the Knight. You will enter the area above the Watchers. Once you jump down, there will be a hut like structure ahead of you (its roof is on fire and there is a WEAPONS LOCKER on the first floor). Jump to the second floor of the hut and turn left. A [JOURNAL] is in a small room ahead.
  4. After jumping down into a large room in which you must walk up a fallen pillar to continue, you will encounter more Watchers. After you deal with them, look for an opening in the wall (a torch will be on the opening's rightside). A [JOURNAL] is inside the opening. If you go up the ramp and the objective changes to "Clear the Village Square", you've gone too far.
  5. Once you clear the village square and the objective changes to "Climb to the top of the monolith", stand in the middle of the square, facing the stairs to the top. There are two structures, one on either side of you. Use the ramp on the right to ascend the right bulding. At the top of the ramp turn left, and then follow the path left until the ceiling above you ends. Now turn right (you should now be facing the stairs to the top of the temple again). Look up and you can see a ledge. Jump to it. Ahead of you is a door that leads to a small room, which has a [JOURNAL] inside it.
  6. After the cutscene where Will enters the temple and the door shuts behind him, walk forward onto the bridge and turn left. There are two platforms ahead of you. Jump onto the bridge handrail and jump to the first platform, and then to the second. The [JOURNAL] is on the second platform.
  7. As you ascend the ramps to reach the top of the monolith, you will come to a small room with two torches. The [JOURNAL] is in plain sight between them. If you reach the small hallway with three torches on each side and an AMMO CACHE, you've gone too far.

--INTO THE VOID--

1. As soon as you start the chapter, turn right. The [JOURNAL] is on the ground in front of you.
  2. After you have cleared the first shield generator tower of enemies, go down to the lower floor and take one of the doors to get to the outter hallway (either side; it doesn't matter). Follow the hallway, jumping over some crates as you proceed. You will come to a room with an AMMO CACHE, and behind some more crates, the [JOURNAL], along with some Tech Points.
  3. After you have cleared the second shield generator tower of enemies, go down to the lower floor. Against the back wall is the [JOURNAL].
  4. When descending into the second shield generator tower's core to destroy the generator, look for the [JOURNAL] on the platform that follows the perimeter of the walls. It is on the same level as the "watery" door that leads to the tower's inside area, which is next to an AMMO CACHE.
  5. After the cutscene where the giant Watcher takes down the transport ship, fly down to center of the now open area. You should see two dead bodies, an AMMO CACHE, and a [JOURNAL] all bundled together.
  6. Towards the end of the level, when you come to a hangar and have to fight a bunch of Watchers, look above the hangar to see a large open space. There are several walkways in the open space. Fly up to them to find some Tech Points on one and a [JOURNAL] on another.

--PROPHESEID ONE--

1. As soon as you start the chapter, walk straight forward. The [JOURNAL] will be on the ground next to a bush. You will practically walk right over it.
  2. Once Atem and Will head up the fallen pillar from the first underground ruins and see the first Watcher turret, fly up to the ledge on your left. The [JOURNAL] is on the ground by some brown grass.
  3. In the second underground ruins, there is a torch on the ramp near the end of the ruins. Behind the torch is a [JOURNAL].
  4. After you take out the two turrets and Atem declares "My friends are not far", follow the path to the AMMO CACHE. From the AMMO CACHE, turn around and you should see the [JOURNAL] in between a pillar and the wall.
  5. As you reach the Survivors camp, look to the righthand AA gun. Infront of the AA gun on ground level are two small stone pillars and three bushes. In between two of those bushes is a [JOURNAL].
  6. Fly to the top of the temple at the Surviors camp. There is a Tech Point pickup on the roof. Look back out onto the camp, and then look slightly to the right. You should see the [JOURNAL] on top of a rocky plateau.
  7. After the battle with the Survivors and the Watchers, follow Atem into the temple. When you are inside, check the back left corner of the room for a [JOURNAL].

PLEASE DO NOT POST YET!!

Edited by Guttsu-87

(continued)

--THE SURVIVORS--

1. As soon as you start the Chapter, look out onto the camp. Eye level with Will should be a large green tent with two points in its ceiling. Fly over to it. There should be three guys crowded around a radio, along with the [JOURNAL] inside the tent on the left.
  2. In the center of the camp, there are two large stone structures that look like a piece of broken highway roading. Look at the taller of the two. There are two tents suspended by cables hanging from the structure. Fly up to the lower of the two tents to find a [JOURNAL].
  3. Fly to the top of the giant ship (the Ark). On top of the Ark there are two antennae coming of out a box. On top of that box is a [JOURNAL].
  4. Directly below the giant ship (the Ark) is a bridge. Fly down to it. In the middle of the bridge is a [JOURNAL].
  5. When you enter the Barracks building, head left before ascending the stairs. Straight ahead will be a table covered in electrical equipment, along with a [JOURNAL] on the ground.
  6. Once you reach the area where you fight the UFOs, look for a rock plateau with two bridges connected to it, near the center of the area. There is a [JOURNAL] located on that plateau, near some barrels and pipes.
  7. Towards the end of the mission, in the room with three survivors, the back left corner holds a WEAPONS LOCKER and a [JOURNAL].

--PRISON ESCAPE--

http://www.ps3trophies.org/forum/members/guttsu-87-albums-dark-void-picture5463-void-rock.jpg

1. As soon as you start the chapter, fly forward until you see the rock pictured above. Once you do, fly toward it, and then in between the two rock tower-like structures that are to the left of it. Once you fly between them, look down and there should be a plateau below you. The [JOURNAL] is on that plateau, but it is very hard to see. Land on the plateau and you should find it. This is easily the most out-of-the-way journal.
  2. In the room where you pick up the Magnetar, check behind some rubble on the left hand side of the room for a [JOURNAL].
  3. In the room where you must defend the prisoners while they board the transport, there is a large open space above the transport ship that has two towers. Fly up to and land on the tower closer to the hangar's exit to find a [JOURNAL] and some Tech Points.

--BREAKING CAMP--

1. As soon as you start the Chapter, turn around and fly toward the Ark. On the ground near the Ark are a series of tents. The tent closest to the Ark has a table outside with a [JOURNAL] on it.
  2. Stand on ground level infront of the Ark and look in the opposite direction of it. On your left you should see a wooden ramp in between two stone pillars. Walk up the ramp to finding a [JOURNAL] on the landing.
  3. Behind the Ark, there are a series of doors built into the rock wall. Fly to the righthand door (the first door above ground level), and the [JOURNAL] should be sitting in front of it.
  4. Behind the Ark, there are a series of doors built into the rock wall. Fly to the lefthand door (the second door above ground level), and the [JOURNAL] should be sitting in front of it.

--DEFENDING THE ARK--

1. There is a rock plateau just before the first set of Watcher AA guns (the plateau and the AA guns are at the same elevation). The [JOURNAL] is on the plateau on the left side. It is very hard to see.
  2. Once you reach the base with the three spires, look toward the Archon in that area. The [JOURNAL] is in the middle of the plateau between the base and the Archon. It is very hard to see. The best thing to do is kill the Archon, then stand on the plateau. Keep the camera level with the ground and slowly scan for the journal. Its shine will give it away.

--THE COLLECTOR--

1. As soon as you start the chapter, hover, look down and to your left. You should see a crashed Watcher transport ship. Fly down to it to find a Tech Point pickup, a WEAPONS LOCKER, and a [JOURNAL].

--THE REVOLT--

1. After clearing the initial room, Atem and Will will make there way into a blue room with several enemies. On the bottom floor of the room, back by the "Watery" door, is a [JOURNAL] on the ground. If you drop down into the lower hallway, you've gone too far.
  2. As Will descends the hangar, he will eventually have to jump down on a Watcher transport ship to continue. Once you jump down on the SECOND transport ship, you will have to drop down two more times to reach the next "main" bridge level. Go around the central pillar of the platform to a walkway that runs against the hangar wall. At the end of the walkway is the [JOURNAL]. It is on the same level as the fourth elevator you must use, on the opposite side of the hangar as the elevator.
  3. Once you get to the ground floor of the hangar and clear all the enemies, look on the opposite side of the hangar as the elevator for a stack of crates in the shape of stairs. Jump up them and then onto the platform adjacent to them. Behind the central pillar of the platform is the [JOURNAL].

Again, hope this helps.

THANK YOU! YOU MAY NOW POST.

Edited by Guttsu-87

• 3 weeks later...

I find 3 videos who show every Journals in the game

I think the guide is good, but for me, videos are better, and i think it should help some people ;)

The videos :

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uyh4NKhrFeE]YouTube- Dark Void Journal Locations - Episode 1[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8-BozqVNZM]YouTube- Dark Void Journal Locations - Episode 2[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LM26vA3KPJA]YouTube- Dark Void Journal Locations - Episode 3[/ame]

Edited by Boo-Boo

man! I should of scrolled down! now I see the videos ;p thanks for the guide! though I am still needing 3 journals. If anyone is feeling ambitious they could follow the guide or videos and write the names down of each journal so then we know which episode to start for those certain few.

EDIT! nvm watching the vids now I see their names are mentioned. I want to hug that guy! maybe even tongue action to the mouth ;p

EDIT # 2 - phew! done! last one I needed was the first one in Prison Escape. the blue icon never came on my radar until I was hovering above it. no wonder why I thought I'd gotten it already. cheap journal ;p

Edited by K-BAN

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

is the Bookworm trophy glitched? I have picked up all of the journals, but I am missing 2 of them from my list:

FT-91 (3 of 7)

A.E.W. (4 of 5)

I remember picking them both up, but they are not in the journal list, and neither of them are in the spot they are supposed to be. WTF? Has this happened to anyone else? I am going to be PISSED if I have to start over just to get the journals.

is the Bookworm trophy glitched? I have picked up all of the journals, but I am missing 2 of them from my list:

FT-91 (3 of 7)

A.E.W. (4 of 5)

I remember picking them both up, but they are not in the journal list, and neither of them are in the spot they are supposed to be. WTF? Has this happened to anyone else? I am going to be PISSED if I have to start over just to get the journals.

Oh, nevermind I'm an idiot. The guide I was going by (not this one) had a couple of the numbers mixed up. So the ones I thought I had, I didn't really. It's all good. :applause:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Great guide. Although you should look into naming each journal. It'd be nice to not only turn this guide into a step-by-step one, which it is, but also make it referential. That is, if someone got all journals, save one or two, and they know the names of 'em... all they have to do is come here and eek out the ones they got to find the ones they need.

Rather than just location, location, location. Just a thought.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
What really sucks is if you miss one at the very end of a chapter, like I did for the Into the Void chapter. Now I have to replay the entire chapter to get it. :mad:

same happened to me, but i replayed on casual, no big deal, i'm still halfway in the game tough, this guide and the other two, very helpful, thanks guys!!

Edited by alexyov1

• 3 months later...