It became too easy?

Michelasso

I downloaded the DLC and so I decided to start with a new game. I had a level 5 warrior already out of the prologue and I went with it. A bit of training with the hollow soldiers and then I kept going. I managed to kill the first two Dark Knights in three battles?! I wasn't even level 10!

Now I am not sure with which patch I plat'ed the game (maybe 1.04? Starting with a previous one) but it has really been a walk. Ok, obviously I still die, even more than what I am supposed to, at this point (I am not here to brag), but I am kind of surprised. The enemies feel… weak? :confused:

I downloaded the DLC and so I decided to start with a new game. I had a level 5 warrior already out of the prologue and I went with it. A bit of training with the hollow soldiers and then I kept going. I managed to kill the first two Dark Knights in three battles?! I wasn't even level 10!

Now I am not sure with which patch I plat'ed the game (maybe 1.04? Starting with a previous one) but it has really been a walk. Ok, obviously I still die, even more than what I am supposed to, at this point (I am not here to brag), but I am kind of surprised. The enemies feel… weak? :confused:

The first few areas they always feel weak, Im a level 31 right now and in the forest and Im getting killed. I started a fresh playthrough with no glitches no weapons no nothing and just did a few things out of the box to get my guy going and now its like the first time I played, not to mention 90% of the community kept a low level toon that they just torture new players with.

If it keeps feeling easy there is a new ring called the Calamity ring where it doubles the damage you take when fighting. Get that and move to NG+ then come back in and tell us what you think. I could barely clear the burg without having to adjust my whole playstyle.

The 1.05 and 1.06 patches rebalanced the game and binned a lot of exploits :): http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/Patches

I do wish the BBGlitch was still there, taking a new char all the way to 100 just to try a new build is crazy, it is actually going to take away from the time I spend playing the game. Some glitches are good and can have good uses

The first few areas they always feel weak, Im a level 31 right now and in the forest and Im getting killed. I started a fresh playthrough with no glitches no weapons no nothing and just did a few things out of the box to get my guy going and now its like the first time I played, not to mention 90% of the community kept a low level toon that they just torture new players with.

If it keeps feeling easy there is a new ring called the Calamity ring where it doubles the damage you take when fighting. Get that and move to NG+ then come back in and tell us what you think. I could barely clear the burg without having to adjust my whole playstyle.

Huh? What's the point of that ring? Does it give more souls at least? Or anything else? If it is easier I don't see why I should make it harder on purpose! :D

Then I am starting to wonder if it is because the Warrior is a good class to start with. It's pretty kickass it seems. It has a lot of HP and.. the green bar (you see how much I remember now.. )

I also have the drake sword (that one I remembered!!) I could get it just with the bow, so I fought the dark knight in the tower with it. But the first one was a piece of cake. Even if i died once (wrong timing healing).

What I actually wanted to know is if with 1.06 the parameters changed again. Or maybe it's because I didn't play with 1.05 patch much. I remember people complaining the game became too soft.

As far as i know they didn't nerf the monsters, they improved the drop rate for certain items, made it easier to remove curses and increased the soul gain by killing monsters. While yes this things make the game easier it shouldn't affect the difficulty of killing a dark knight.

Your "problem" is a combination of two things:

1) The warrior is a terrific starting class if you plan to go melee, it has good stats and good starting equipment also if you do go melee the first half of the game is easy, it starts getting tougher when you reach ornstein & smough or well at least that's my opinion.

2) Even if you have some time without playing you know the game and surely when you find an enemy you start remembering what to do to beat it easily and well it just comes back to you. On your first playthrough you had to learn everything from scratch but in this one you are remembering so that makes it easier.

Well, yes, it makes sense..

1. I am obviously doing melee indeed. What else can I do with a Warrior at the beginning? :) Also I used the Estoc, which keeps the shield on. I didn't imagine the starting class could change the gameplay so much. Now I am level 22 and I killed the Taurus (?) in underburg. That took me few tries, solo. I had to use the Elite Knight armor. A bit heavy but it did the job. BTW I hate that battle… I feel blind.

2. Well, no argue with that!! But the Dark Knight has been a beautiful surprise. I thought "what the heck, I want the ring. Let's give it a try!". Piece of cake. Just a bit long with the Estoc.

Instead.. What the heck is wrong with my beautiful Claymore? I am on DEX and upgraded it to +5. So it is slightly more powerful than the Drake sword. It took me some deaths to realize that it sucks all stamina in a couple of shots. Useless at early stage of the game, I suppose.

Well you didn't mention that you were using the estoc. An estoc or spears are terrific for PvE and make it even easier since you can keep your shield up. Although they suck for PvP.

And yeah if you plan on using the Claymore or the Zweihander you better wait till you have 40 endurance. Also if you are going DEX you might want to consider using an Uchigatana instead, when upgraded the DEX scaling gets an A rank. They break easily but you will be inflicting a lot of damage and you can make enemies bleed as well so that's a plus. The earliest you can get one is by killing the merchant at the Undead Burg, after that someone sells it as well i just can't remember who.

Anyways, have fun with your game :)

The Uchigatana!!! My most favorite in Demon's Souls!! :D

But I'll wait for it. I hate to kill the poor merchants (but the witch in the tunnel. I wish I could kill her, she always escaped me when I tried!!). I feel guilty. And one always need them when less expected. Apart that now everyone sells everything. It is like a bazaar! Before 1.04/1.05 it was like Resident Evil: always short on everything. Especially arrows.

I'll check wikidot for it anyway. Thanks!

PS: One thing I must say. After what? One year and many games, Skyrim included, this still really is the most beautiful. Sub HD? Not noticed. Beauty is on the art, not on the pixel!!

Edited by Michelasso