Dark Souls III?

IsaacPlaystation321

The Souls franchise, whether in Souls or Bloodborne form, is here to stay. The sales are simply too good for FROM to ignore (which luckily they aren't).

I could see a game using the Souls template coming out bi-yearly from here on out (2015 Bloodborne, 2017 Bloodborne 2 / DeS 2 / DkS 3, etc).

• 2 weeks later...

They did release like 5 King's Field games after all. Dark Souls is their flagship franchise. I don't think they are just going to put all their eggs in the Bloodborne basket. Bloodborne is a new IP and it's exclusive to PS4 which is going to really limit sales expectations. It's a game for hardcore gamers that own a PS4. There are only around 10 million PS4s in the hands of consumers. Granted it will be more after this holiday season. But, even if there is 15 million, how many of those people are hardcore players that would get into a game like Bloodborne and how many are COD players and the like. Not to mention Bloodborne comes out in February. So, many RPG fans will be getting on The Witcher 3. I think From Soft will probably get around 1 million sales with Bloodborne in the first 6 months. Definitely more over time. As it will likely become a cult classic. But, at first I think sales are going to be a bit slow.

Don't misunderstand me. I am more excited for Bloodborne than any other upcoming game and I am a Sony man through and through. But, I just can't see From Software limiting themselves exclusively to one system from now on when it comes to their big titles. I think we'll see a Dark Souls III. Hopefully, they do not dumb the game down anymore than they have already. The game is easy enough to understand. I actually like a lot of the changes they made and I hope they make more changes in Dark Souls III. Differences are what keeps the Souls games fresh. New systems and stats to learn is part of the fun of getting into a Souls game. But, please From Soft, no more attempts to make the game more accessible. It's accessible enough in it's current state.

I do not think we'll ever see a Demon's Souls 2 however. Sony owns the IP and could always potentially have Japan Studios do it. But, I doubt that will ever happen. I think Bloodborne is the replacement for Demon's Souls. That why they refer to Bloodborne as a spiritual successor to Demon's Souls and not Dark Souls. Because Demon's Souls is over with and Dark Souls is not.

Absolutely there will be another one.

They did release like 5 King's Field games after all. Dark Souls is their flagship franchise. I don't think they are just going to put all their eggs in the Bloodborne basket.

After all they have two teams for those titles. At least two creative teams, probably with shared taskforces. There will be another Dark Souls for sure. It has to be.

And the Online aspects of both franchises seem to be different enough to justify two Bloodlines.

Edited by Cyphron

I'm certain that we WON'T see another dark souls game. While the first dark souls was good, the second was almost as good but i don't think they will care about sales in regards to this.

Think of it this way.

If they make another dark souls game, how will they tie it to the first? and the second? The idea of the second game is that drangleic is possibly in the same place as lordran, but we don't know, the souls cycle, but we don't know how. The idea of the lore is that WE REALLY DON'T KNOW MUCH. The storyline is almost non-existent (in the sense that you're never told much directly) in either story and really other than the souls, how do the games tie together?

So based on that, how will the second game tie to the third (enough to call the game another souls game), how will that tie to the first. If they just do another recreated lordran then it will be more of the same, and while they do it well, more that's similar and yet different (like bloodborne is) will be better.

Dark Souls III could always be a prequel where your character is a young Manus or something. Hell, they could always make you the Furtive Pygmy in the prequel where you witness the fall of the dragons and the rise of Gwyn.

Dark Souls II had weak lore and too many random places that were never fully fleshed out. All they need to make DSIII better is to place more emphasis on a cohesive world and stronger lore.

Dark Souls III could always be a prequel where your character is a young Manus or something. Hell, they could always make you the Furtive Pygmy in the prequel where you witness the fall of the dragons and the rise of Gwyn.

Dark Souls II had weak lore and too many random places that were never fully fleshed out. All they need to make DSIII better is to place more emphasis on a cohesive world and stronger lore.

And yet you really think they'd tell you that much? You're always going to be an "unknown" I think, and i don't even think that they want to tell you too much into the lore. They have thousands and thousands of pages of lore in their archives but they only ever give us enough to speculate. If they do give us another dark souls game, it will be just as confusingly sparse with details. But i'm pretty sure they won't as i feel they are the sort of company where when they make a sequel worse than the previous game, they just get on and make a new game they know will be good.

Honestly, i think dark souls 2 was actually an afterthought after bloodborne, and they just made that to fill out the space between Dark Souls and Bloodborne so people didn't forget about them :p

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed a lot of people saying about the exclusivity of Bloodborne. Don't forget that Demons Souls was a PS3 exclusive.

With regards to Dark Souls, I'd love to see a third. Hopefully it'll be more aligned to the first than the second. The world in DS2 just seemed, for lack of a better word, hollow to me. The lore just wasn't as inspired as it was in DS1.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'd like to see something that has the same medieval setting as Demon's and Dark Souls, but not a numbered sequel.

Demon's Souls is still my favourite of the three. Just the way it gave you next to zero story and felt more mysterious compared to the Dark Souls games.

In the same way Dark Souls had the bonfires and Demon's Souls had the Nexus, I'd like to see a new way of linking the game world.

I think a straight-up Dark Souls 3 would be a bit boring, to be honest.

We still haven't had Demon's Souls 2 because the story in Demon's Souls is done and the story after Dark Souls 2 is done.

What is left after Dark Souls 2? Dark Souls 2 only existed because it's meant to show you that after Dark Souls 1 the world will continue in an endless cycle. There will always be a chosen one to light or not light the flame. The sole purpose why they made DS2 was to explain that. There is nothing left to explain.

A prequel could actually be interesting.

So much of this series is Old Ones and ancient beings and allusions to things that happened long ago. Would be interesting to go back and see some of that unfold.

I found out there is going to be Dark Souls II in the PS4 upcoming games and I feel that If I get the PS4, I be tempted to buy this game which I've beaten on the PS3 and wouldn't want to go there and do it all over again. You have no idea how many painstaken hours I crammed up to fight the same enemies and farm souls to level up

I found out there is going to be Dark Souls II in the PS4 upcoming games and I feel that If I get the PS4, I be tempted to buy this game which I've beaten on the PS3 and wouldn't want to go there and do it all over again. You have no idea how many painstaken hours I crammed up to fight the same enemies and farm souls to level up

But you finally did it in the end Isaac! :applause:

• 6 months later...

and it's only for the PS4 and Xbox One *sigh of relief* - no PS3 version. I've checked it out with Amazon

I played and beaten Dark Souls II. I think that is enough of the soul series for me.

besides the one reason that I do not get a nex gen console is because you can't play online [for free] without paying and suscribing to the PS+ like you do with the PS3