If you can beat Fume Knight solo, then DLC final boss is a piece of cake...

leowtyx

• 2 weeks later...

Fume knight was actually a lot easier then people claim he is, I had more trouble with Sihn. From the instant he lost his second sword (and just used that fire sword), he had less combo's, and my character is pretty strong against fire. I also had a shield equiped, and then used a spell on it to enhance my shield even more.

that being said, he was a pretty tought fucker, but just not as hard as people claim he is.

bring on the ivory dlc, I'm expecting a lot of awesomeness.

Fume knight was actually a lot easier then people claim he is, I had more trouble with Sihn. From the instant he lost his second sword (and just used that fire sword), he had less combo's, and my character is pretty strong against fire. I also had a shield equiped, and then used a spell on it to enhance my shield even more.

that being said, he was a pretty tought fucker, but just not as hard as people claim he is.

bring on the ivory dlc, I'm expecting a lot of awesomeness.

Well, it defeats the meaning of this boss fight if you use shield I think...

Like gyrm shield for smelter...

You are not answering my question, "Completely negate any damage", what's the point in that for you?

uh... it keeps you alive so that you can keep fighting the boss?

the game isn't about how difficult you can make it for yourself... if you want to fight bosses with your SL1 bare fist-only build on NG+++++++++ go right ahead... that doesn't mean that using a shield that blocks a particular type of elemental damage for a *boss battle* makes it "casual".

Edited by discostu668

I've beat him with and without a shield. Whats the difference? Nothing really. Its just 2 different playstyles. And as far as the boss fight go, there is no "defeating the purpose of this fight" by using a shield. If thats the case then well, why have shields in the game at all? Cause that would go for all bosses then. It dosent "defeat" anything. You can still die even with a shield.

I've beat him with and without a shield. Whats the difference? Nothing really. Its just 2 different playstyles. And as far as the boss fight go, there is no "defeating the purpose of this fight" by using a shield. If thats the case then well, why have shields in the game at all? Cause that would go for all bosses then. It dosent "defeat" anything. You can still die even with a shield.

exactly.

leowtyx just likes to brag about how good he is at this game, and looks down on people who don't play it like he does.

I should clarity that I think the Fume Knight is designed to force turtle players learn how to dodge. Not that you can't use shield.

But if you just went ahead to pump stamina and fire/dark resistance to absorb the damage so you could tank it, then it defeats the meaning to play this boss.

As for Smelter, Gyrm Shield really defeats the meaning of that fight by 100% negating hits.

Let's be honest here, if Dark Souls 2 were made by the A team, I bet Gyrm Shield would not be so powerful against Smelter.

But I suppose to each their own. Some might just want the Smelter Sword to look cool and could care less about fighting bosses.

exactly.

leowtyx just likes to brag about how good he is at this game, and looks down on people who don't play it like he does.

I don't make an effort to look down on ppl because it doesn't bring me any enjoyment, but my playstyle is exactly what Bloodborne will play like...

No shields :devil:

You can't deny the intention of Souls' creator isn't in alignment with mine.

Edited by leowtyx

I should clarity that I think the Fume Knight is designed to force turtle players learn how to dodge. Not that you can't use shield.

But if you just went ahead to pump stamina and fire/dark resistance to absorb the damage so you could tank it, then it defeats the meaning to play this boss.

As for Smelter, Gyrm Shield really defeats the meaning of that fight by 100% negating hits.

Let's be honest here, if Dark Souls 2 were made by the A team, I bet Gyrm Shield would not be so powerful against Smelter.

Again, if you re-read what i said; it dosent defeat any purpose. Why put items in a game if they shouldnt be used? It's all about different playstyles. There is no "correct" way to defeat the bosses. You do it the way you want to. No way in the game, or in the game manual does it say "You cannot use shield for this and this boss, cause its not meant to be beat that way". Some people play the game to enjoy it. Not to make it the harder then it has to be. The shields are in the game for a reason. It was the exact same in DS1 with the shields. Some allowed you to block powerful attacks, just like in this.

Bloodborne wont have shields. Cause thats the way THAT is meant to be played. Been stated by Hidetaka Miyazaki himself. Dark Souls and Demons Souls are a completely different case.

Again, if you re-read what i said; it dosent defeat any purpose. Why put items in a game if they shouldnt be used? It's all about different playstyles. There is no "correct" way to defeat the bosses. You do it the way you want to. No way in the game, or in the game manual does it say "You cannot use shield for this and this boss, cause its not meant to be beat that way". Some people play the game to enjoy it. Not to make it the harder then it has to be. The shields are in the game for a reason. It was the exact same in DS1 with the shields. Some allowed you to block powerful attacks, just like in this.

Bloodborne wont have shields. Cause thats the way THAT is meant to be played. Been stated by Hidetaka Miyazaki himself. Dark Souls and Demons Souls are a completely different case.

I did just edited my post while you post so if you could read my last sentence to you. But still, I don't think Gyrm Shield would be in Dark Souls 2 like that if Hidetaka made the game himself.

Edited by leowtyx

no it's not. what gave you that idea?

no it doesn't. just because it doesn't fit your play style doesn't mean it defeats the purpose/meaning to play this boss by having a shield or pumping stamina/fire/dark resistance.

for the third time, maybe for you...

you can't be so arrogant by assuming that that particular shield wouldn't be in the game if the "A" team was working on the game - there are shields that negate/block 100% damage in the other souls games, no? i'm not entirely sure or understand your attitude towards people who want to use a shield to fight a boss...

I don't make an effort to look down on ppl because it doesn't bring me any enjoyment

that's a flat-out lie, and you know it... why else would you refer to people who wear havel's armor negatively, and gloat about pankcaking them into the ground with your smelter hammer?

no it's not. what gave you that idea?

no it doesn't. just because it doesn't fit your play style doesn't mean it defeats the purpose/meaning to play this boss by having a shield or pumping stamina/fire/dark resistance.

for the third time, maybe for you...

you can't be so arrogant by assuming that that particular shield wouldn't be in the game if the "A" team was working on the game - there are shields that negate/block 100% damage in the other souls games, no? i'm not entirely sure or understand your attitude towards people who want to use a shield to fight a boss...

that's a flat-out lie, and you know it... why else would you refer to people who wear havel's armor negatively, and gloat about pankcaking them into the ground with your smelter hammer?

1. Because normally you won't be able to just block all his attacks and not die?

2. So you are saying even pumping to level 800 and fight Fume Knight on NG is quite meaningful?

3. For the forth time, what's the point for you? Why don't you answer the question?

4. I said it won't be this powerful not that it won't be in this game, humbly.

5. Wait, so you refer them positively?

I soloed Fume Knight and didn't have too much trouble. It took several tries of course but I realized if you constantly stay up on him, he will not buff himself until very late in the fight. It's kind of an exploit of his AI but if you are within his attack range, he will focus on attacking you instead of buffing himself. Eventually, he'll jump back and buff himself. I did a video on this strategy actually.

Now with all this being said. I've had a lot more trouble with Sir Alonne than I ever did with the Fume Knight. I still haven't beat him but I haven't really tried that many times either. Because I went back to playing my other character who I enjoy playing with more and who is about to enter that DLC anyway. I really didn't think this DLC was that bad though on the difficulty front. I think the Crown of the Sunken King is actually a bit tougher. Elana is harder than both the Fume Knight and Sir Alonne. I eventually had to summon to get past her. I won't do it this run. I'll just keep at it until I beat her. The area with the Drakeblood Knights before her is not easy either.

1. Because normally you won't be able to just block all his attacks and not die?

2. So you are saying even pumping to level 800 and fight Fume Knight on NG is quite meaningful?

3. For the forth time, what's the point for you? Why don't you answer the question?

4. I said it won't be this powerful not that it won't be in this game, humbly.

5. Wait, so you refer them positively?

1. That's the point of using a shield - to block his attacks and not die.

2. If that's how some people want to play the game, then that's how they want to play the game. It's not your place to decide how high people level up their character, and you needn't worry about how meaningful the gameplay is for someone who does level their character to that extreme.

3. The point of what? Using a shield? I've already answered that question.

4. Either I misinterpretted or you stealth edited your comment. Either way you can't assume something would happen if X person or X team was involved in the development of the game.

5. No, that's not what I said. You said you make no effort to look down on people despite the concerted effort you put towards looking down on people that wear a specific armour set in the game. Who cares what armour people want to wear. Why does it bother you so much if someone wears havel's set?

1. That's the point of using a shield - to block his attacks and not die.

2. If that's how some people want to play the game, then that's how they want to play the game. It's not your place to decide how high people level up their character, and you needn't worry about how meaningful the gameplay is for someone who does level their character to that extreme.

3. The point of what? Using a shield? I've already answered that question.

4. Either I misinterpretted or you stealth edited your comment. Either way you can't assume something would happen if X person or X team was involved in the development of the game.

5. No, that's not what I said. You said you make no effort to look down on people despite the concerted effort you put towards looking down on people that wear a specific armour set in the game. Who cares what armour people want to wear. Why does it bother you so much if someone wears havel's set?

1. have you played the DLC yet? you suggest blocking his attacks?

2. it means something to them, but it's not meaningful.

3. Of using a shield to make smelter demon a piece of cake, no skillz required, you like that?

4. You misinterpreted. I could assume that for sure.

5. Yes, I don't put effort to look down ppl, they are looked-down ready.

I beat Fume solo on NG+++, but I also feel that Sinh and Sir Alonne are more difficult to solo, well I haven't tried to defeat Sihn solo, I'm a pure melee build.

Using a Greatshield is very helpful against Fume, as I choose to do, but I guess it would be more challenging to go without a shield. But still you can't just stand there and try to block all of his attacks or you will be dead anyway. You still have to dodge and if you slip up your Greatshield can save you from being one-shotted.

Anyway, SL means nothing in this game like it did with Dark Souls. With SM and eventually reaching it's top tier, you may as well level up as much as possible. I still see a little variety in builds too. Sure you have people in Havel's and thats cool with me.

Although my one build is at a high SL and could do pretty much everything, I still find ways to have fun and be creative with it. I can try different armors and weapons. I have the stats to use spells but don't use any.

Now I did prefer the SL meta in Dark Souls, but it is what it is. You also have to choose to challenge yourself, like by not ever using the Ring of Life Protection and stuff like that.

I know with my high SL build, I get bored and use a Soul Vessel sometimes to change things up. I can go Faith build one day, Hex build the next, but I myself find that I enjoy being a pure melee build the most.

Also with the talk of A-Team or B-Team, I think one of the mistakes they made with this game is the farming of the Giant Lord.

I mean there is an emphasis on enemies not respawing after a certain amount of times. Then you have to use a Bonfire Ascetic to make them respawn again. I guess I'm fine with that, but what is the point. Do they not want you to farm souls or do they feel a player should get a pass if the area is too difficult.

Then you have the Giant Lord. I mean you could farm any boss over and over again, but you would probably run out of Bonfire Ascetics. But with the Giant Lord, there's a Bonfire Ascetic in the memory itself. Plus this boss is way too easy to cheese to death.

Anyhow without that farming method, you wouldn't have many players running around at SL838.

Edited by blevensp

I beat Fume solo on NG+++, but I also feel that Sinh and Sir Alonne are more difficult to solo, well I haven't tried to defeat Sihn solo, I'm a pure melee build.

Using a Greatshield is very helpful against Fume, as I choose to do, but I guess it would be more challenging to go without a shield. But still you can't just stand there and try to block all of his attacks or you will be dead anyway. You still have to dodge and if you slip up your Greatshield can save you from being one-shotted.

Anyway, SL means nothing in this game like it did with Dark Souls. With SM and eventually reaching it's top tier, you may as well level up as much as possible. I still see a little variety in builds too. Sure you have people in Havel's and thats cool with me.

Although my one build is at a high SL and could do pretty much everything, I still find ways to have fun and be creative with it. I can try different armors and weapons. I have the stats to use spells but don't use any.

Now I did prefer the SL meta in Dark Souls, but it is what it is. You also have to choose to challenge yourself, like by not ever using the Ring of Life Protection and stuff like that.

I know with my high SL build, I get bored and use a Soul Vessel sometimes to change things up. I can go Faith build one day, Hex build the next, but I myself find that I enjoy being a pure melee build the most.

I went at Fume Knight with no shield. I had the Shield of the Insolent equipped for extra stamina regen but I tossed it on my back and two handed a +10 Flamberge. I also rocked a Chloranthy Ring and popped a green blossom at the beginning of the fight. My thought process here was I want to be able to stay really close to him and have enough stamina to dodge 3 or 4 attacks in a row. The slashing, bleed damage of the Flamberge is a really good damage type to use against him. IGN's Jared Petty marked points or rather fractions of a point off of the review score for The Old Iron King because the Fume Knight was so hard. He said he attempted the fight over 100 times. He said he knew his patterns but simply could not do enough damage to take him down. But, in all of the footage he showed he was using a Rapier. I was thinking "maybe try a different weapon? Maybe switch things up until you find a damage type that works?!"

I came in with that Flamberge and hit him and it took a pretty decent chunk of his HP and I thought "this is totally doable". Fucking IGN sometimes, I swear. Marking off on a game because you don't know how to play it. Ridiculous.

I fought the Fume Knight, Sinh and Elana. Pure Melee also. I was using my quality build on NG because my other character was at the beginning of NG+ when the DLCs started coming out. I summoned another player to help me beat Elana as well as the Ganksquad boss. I used the NPC summons for Sinh. Which doesn't really count as a summon in my book because sometimes they can make a fight harder actually. I felt that was the case with the Fume Knight. So I went completely solo on him. My other character is a INT/FTH build. I use sorceries, miracles and hexes all off the Black Witch Staff. It's a lot of fun. I melee too with an Enchanted Bastard Sword and a Magic Roaring Halberd. For awhile I was dual wielding two maces. One Magic, one Dark. But, I got tired of that. I really enjoy that build though. So versatile. I'm just about to take on the Fume Knight with that build which is going to be interesting to say the least.