Fashion souls...

magifyre

Am I the only one that finds the constant talk in the Dark Souls community about "Fashion Souls" to be the gayest shit ever? I mean, this is an action RPG, not a fashion show. When did playing an RPG become about looking "cool" and not making the strongest possible character?

/rant

First off, "gayest shit ever" is kinda offensive, and second, since when was it not fun to look cool in an RPG? Most RPGs you start off looking crappy, then you work your way up to looking awesome as a natural progression.

Frankly with the way gear is set up versus stats in DS2, you CAN pretty well wear whatever you want and still be effective in gameplay. I don't see the problem. Let others play their way, and you can play your way.

First off, way to be overly sensitive. Purposely gimping your character. To look "cool", even though, lets be honest here, pretty much all of the armor in this game looks pretty ridiculous. It makes researching equipment annoyingly difficult because the only thing Dark Souls fans seem to care about is fashion souls. Try to find information on a quality armor set with bonuses that will actually help your class? You're a "tryhard", "gitgud" and play with ~~FASHION SOULS~~. Gayest. Shit. Ever.

Honestly though, I can't say I'm that surprised to get this kind of response. I just wanted to vent, hence the /rant at the end of OP. Try not to get to insert too many secondary definitions into what I'm saying and take it out of context.

Edited by FootballPsycho

Well..

games have always been about looking good.

Thats why Tomb Raider was so popular.

Its just more fun to look on a nice ass instead of a bulky ass if you play for hours. :)

min-maxing (term from classic p&p rpg's) to reach the most beneficial stats with least cost/negative effects was always popular in classic RPG's (where you only imagined everything) and framed upon at the same time by the "True RPG'lers".

So, yeah, this debate is pretty old.

I actually love it with J inspired games (f.e. Anarchy Online, old MMORPG) where some of the most slutty looking female armors gave the best boni too.

This resulted in pretty hilarious Armor combinations. :eek:

Anyway, just be happy.

You see someone with perfect loking hotpants armor?

Good, he has screwed Physical Res, let him feel it. :applause:

Thats what i do. :whistle:

i've found myself slowly changing as ive nailed this game. first few playthroughs it was all about the strongest/most useful equipment i could wear with my current equip load, appearance be damned. but now, on my 5th playthrough, i am actually starting to go mainly for the look of what im wearing. i want my guy to have a coherent look rather than be a mess of different sets, and to also have a unique look (how many drangleic armor/ head of vengaarl combos do you see? they're everywhere!) and also, as ive got better at the game, the less hits i take, the less the strength of the armor im wearing seems to matter.

but i also agree with you - a community of players discussing armor combinations solely for the look = hyper gayness.

I haven't seen too many "fashion souls" players recently tbh. They make a ton of youtube videos but I rarely see them PVP. Most PVPers are melee users in medium armor, turtles wearing Havel's set or mages wearing Havel's set.

Havel's Set is still the go-to armor for many despite being pretty average after the latest patch.

I haven't seen too many "fashion souls" players recently tbh. They make a ton of youtube videos but I rarely see them PVP. Most PVPers are melee users in medium armor, turtles wearing Havel's set or mages wearing Havel's set.

Havel's Set is still the go-to armor for many despite being pretty average after the latest patch.

Well, I wear Desert Sorceress for PvP. I don't win all the time, but I win about 50%. I refuse to wear pussy set like Havel's. It's all about skills.

Havel's armor isn't even the best. That dubious honor goes to the Jester's Set in my opinion.

RedHoodHunter said it best, in "his opinion". people just equip whatever they think is the best based on their play style. I've been invaded by people wearing almost nothing, but being a lot faster then my character. It just depends on what your preferences are. In Dark Souls there is no "best" anything, everything has it's advantages and disadvantages. That's why from keeps on retooling certain things in the game because they are either too powerfull or too weak.

And as for another statement I've overhead too often, no, the don't cater these games to magic users. Magic uses stamina, and because of the reduced lock on distance, it's a lot harder to use magic. In some cases, a simple dagger can be more effective then a soul spear. The only time when a magic user has a slight advantage is when you are doing mp, and the tank can draw the enemy towards him, allowing a magic user enough time and distance to use his magic. A magic user and a melee character will end up choosing different armor/weapons, based on what they want.

I use a mix of different types of armors, based on their weight and how well they work against certain types of attacks that you'll find on a specific area. when I'm PvP, it's pretty much 50/50 on the wins, people have won with "fashion clothing" and peole have lost with "thought out equipment". The armor doesn't even matter all that much in any case, if you have a good shield and great stamina/poise, then you'll do fine.