I know covenant progress transfers over to NG+, but...

discostu668

I guess the easy answer is: So that you can re-acquire Darklurker Soul.

It's a good point though. I'm keeping this thread subbed so I can learn the answer too. The effigy cost is annoying.

there would be no reason to force you to use an effigy after you've already hit max rank, though... even if you wanted to defeat darklurker again.

shaded woods is my next destination after iron keep, so i'll find out when i get there, i suppose.

If I've maxed out the Dark Pilgrims, does that also mean no more effigies to get into the caverns in NG+?

If you acquired rank 3, the three Dark Chasms will be opened for free for the rest OF THE CURRENT playthrough.

In NG+, you have to start over.

I accidentally tested it myself; I defeated Darklurker and moved to NG+ after trading his souls for the hex, but I had to speak to Darkdiver Grandahl again in all the three locations to join the covenant.

And I used effigies again to defeat the Darklurker a second time, and have alll the chasms open for free.

So think carefully before moving on, try farming the chasms for ascetics as much as you can!

Now that you mention it, I forgot two things;

- If you kill all the mobs (dark spirits and ghosts) in one of the chasms AFTER lighting up all the braziers, you CAN'T use an ascetic to make them spawn again, you have to defeat the Darklurker first.

I tested this in Drangleic Castle Underground; I killed all the Havels, Ricards and other spirits twelve times, while farming ascetics and teleporting out with the feather, but I wasn't able to use an ascetic because I had to fight the Darklurker.

I defeated him two more times, it was amazing :applause:

- After reaching rank 3, the chasms are much more bright, it's like daytime now! It happened in NG and carried over to NG+. I still have to access them on NG++ (I just got to Drangleic Castle and bought the spells for the plat), but I'll check it soon.

do you know anything about the reward? i forgot to claim my hex and armor set after defeating darklurker in NG. now i'm in NG+, but covenant rank is displayed as 3 at the cat. can i get it asap or do i have to defeat darklurker a second time (what a nightmare)?

do you know anything about the reward? i forgot to claim my hex and armor set after defeating darklurker in NG. now i'm in NG+, but covenant rank is displayed as 3 at the cat. can i get it asap or do i have to defeat darklurker a second time (what a nightmare)?

you will apparently need to defeat the darklurker again.

I like having 99+ of everything.

But if I only need 1, then Dark Souls 2 isn't worth playing anyway, is it?

seeing as you allegedly spend most of your time trolling other players there'd be no need for you to actually play this game at all, negating the need to have 99+ (or any at all since you don't need effigies to invade).

seeing as you allegedly spend most of your time trolling other players there'd be no need for you to actually play this game at all, negating the need to have 99+ (or any at all since you don't need effigies to invade).

There is a logic flaw in your response, how can I not play the game to get better trolling gears if I don't play the game? ;)

you will apparently need to defeat the darklurker again.

No, you don't need to. All I had to do is visit Darkdiver again in all three places and join the covenant again. Then, upon talking to him he gave me the hex and armor set.

The defeat of darklurker is NOT required again.

No, you don't need to. All I had to do is visit Darkdiver again in all three places and join the covenant again. Then, upon talking to him he gave me the hex and armor set.

The defeat of darklurker is NOT required again.

good to know!

by the way, is the gate open for free or do you still need to pay an effigy?

• 3 weeks later...

I'm finishing ng+ and just did the first Dark Chasm of Old (from Shaded Woods) and I did not get the Resonant Soul after lighting the Abyss Beacon there...

Am I missing something? I did go back to the area afterwards and the beacon was indeed lit.

Edit: I reached rank 3 on ng.

Maybe he won't give the spells?

That's what I think but I read somewhere that you.can get two GRS per playthrough (can't remember where). Anyway, I moved to ng++ now and purchased another GRS from Felkin.