Help with the final level 'Spider' thing

OriginalJedi

I feel like im going to break a dualshock over this! I just cant figure out how this thing goes down and ive been doing nothing but dying for an more than an hour now. What ive been doing is hiding in the corner next to the ammo stash by the door to the aircraft carrier. In the corner i am mostly in cover by a burnt out jet and ive been shooting rockets at this thing like mad and it doesnt go down. Is there a certain time its susceptible to damage? I keep firing rockets and bullets at this thing but I always die before I kill it. Ive watched a video guide and the player in the guide had the Spider thing all smoking from damage but the rockets and such doesnt even make mine smoke! Please give me some help on how you did it. It would be much appreciated!

Are you waiting until Helena "weakens" it before you attack it? I dont think you can damage it until she does that which doesn't take long. Im not sure what else the problem could be this thing isnt exactly hard to kill considering its not even the real boss. Maybe your just dieing too quick?

Edited by TheNukes

I was stuck on this part for a good amount of time.

First you get near that thing and 'weaken' it (the spider will start flickering).

After that get one of the rocket launchers. Aim for the mouth and shoot all 3 rockets. Watch out for the cannon as its blast radius is just ridiculous. When the spider is rising it's charging the cannon. Quickly run behind the crashed VTOL and engage armor. You should survive the blast. Be wary of the flying medusa aliens that shoot lasers at you. Take them down with the gauss cannon before engaging the spider again. Rinse and repeat.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I was stuck on this part for a good amount of time.

First you get near that thing and 'weaken' it (the spider will start flickering).

After that get one of the rocket launchers. Aim for the mouth and shoot all 3 rockets. Watch out for the cannon as its blast radius is just ridiculous. When the spider is rising it's charging the cannon. Quickly run behind the crashed VTOL and engage armor. You should survive the blast. Be wary of the flying medusa aliens that shoot lasers at you. Take them down with the gauss cannon before engaging the spider again. Rinse and repeat.

Thanks for the tip, this was driving me nuts!

I never thought to hide behind the VTOL and I kept getting snatched up by the big enemy :mad:

This was the hardest part of the game for me.

• 1 month later...

I'm currently having this problem as well, but the thing is, it kills me in one blast wherever I may be on the carrier. I once was able to empty a few rockets plus 2-3 minigun clips on it. And hiding behind the VTOL (or anywhere, for that matter) still couldn't protect me from its one-shot kill thingy. (And yes it was "weakened")

I don't think I'll try again, it's not worth the potential "Dualshock in the wall" moment. Unless someone comes forth with a earth-shattering revelation. Sad though, I thought I'd get my 7th plat from this game (the rest of the game was pretty damn easy, even on Hard/Delta).

I've just done this now, couldn't do it last night, so looked on here, it had checkpointed for me after it was weakend. Took about 18 rocket shots to take it down. But not once did it come close to killing me and I'm on Delta.

Not sure why you are having problems from the big shot he does, with my armor activated from 100 just as he hits, hiding behind anything a truck, a vtol, it left me with half health usually. The other attack he does you can just hide behind something and it can't touch you.

I even ran around it a few times trying to find more ammo, till I realised it was right in front of it.

• 1 year later...
I feel like im going to break a dualshock over this! I just cant figure out how this thing goes down and ive been doing nothing but dying for an more than an hour now. What ive been doing is hiding in the corner next to the ammo stash by the door to the aircraft carrier. In the corner i am mostly in cover by a burnt out jet and ive been shooting rockets at this thing like mad and it doesnt go down. Is there a certain time its susceptible to damage? I keep firing rockets and bullets at this thing but I always die before I kill it. Ive watched a video guide and the player in the guide had the Spider thing all smoking from damage but the rockets and such doesnt even make mine smoke! Please give me some help on how you did it. It would be much appreciated!

Run under the alien and shoot him everything you have 'till you get catched. Get your armor shiled before landing when you are throwed, re-fill amnos if you need, run again under the alien and repeat 'till you don't take him down. If you do this this 3 or 4 time he will die without any troubles, it's kinda a pretty easy tactic.