Temporary Crysis 2 XP Exploit

poetic_justice_

Due to a recent DDos (Distributed Denial of Service) attack on Crysis 2 servers (read here for more about DDos: Denial-of-service attack - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia), the Crysis 2 news servers have crashed and the multiplayer servers have had problems with the new patches. If you load up Crysis 2, your PS3 will still download patch 1.04, but for reasons beyond my limited technical knowledge, the servers now treat the game like you’re playing on version 1.0 (pre-patch).

As such, the XP exploit in Capture the Relay (that was once patched back in 2011) is now functioning again. This is NOT the Mossy Patch, so please don’t bring that up (discussing the Mossy Patch will get you banned from playstationtrophies.org).

Other players have told me this exploit has been available for the past four day, but it is unknown how long this exploit will continue to be available. Crysis 2 (2011) is one of EA’s older games, so fixing these servers may or may not be a priority.

As far as I know, this post is in compliance with playstationtrophies.org’s Terms of Service. If this post is not in compliance with the TOS, I welcome any input from the mods or admins about what needs to be changed or deleted. I do not advocate or support what this hacker group did to EA, nor do I encourage other gamers to attack EA servers. This is a criminal act and will be prosecuted should the hackers be identified. I am merely pointing out this attack has created an opportunity to level up quickly in Crysis 2 multiplayer. It is unknown how long this exploit will be available. Once the servers are repaired and the patches are reinstalled, the exploit will be gone for good.

How the exploit works is simple. Everyone on both teams can earn between 26,000-44,000 XP per match.

Teams huddle around their respective relay station. One person from each team runs over to the opponents’ base. This player stands in front of the enemy’s relay station, picks up the relay by holding :square:, and immediately puts the relay back down by holding :square: a second time. This retrieving player will receive +100XP for picking up the relay, and all the opposing players huddled around the station will receive +100XP for returning the relay to the station. This process is repeated over and over as quickly as possible for the 5-minute round. At the end of Round 1, both teams should have between 13,000-22,000XP. Teams switch sides automatically, and Round 2 begins. Again, follow the same pick-up/put-down pattern through Round 2. At the end of both rounds, everyone on both teams will have between 26,000-44,000XP.

It is recommended that players with a solid green 3-4 bar internet connection strength (press :select: in-game to see your connection strength) be the ones to pick up/put down the relay. There is less chance of lag interfering with the speed of retrieving & dropping the relay. All other players simply stand still beside their “Defend” relay station and press :circle:, :r2:, or :l2: at least once every minute so they are not kicked for being idle.

It is recommended to do this exploit on Capture the Relay Classic instead of Capture the Relay Standard. You are less likely to have randoms drop-in on CTR Classic, as no one plays that mode.

At any rate, I went from level 35 to level 44 in 4-5 hours. Another friend went from level 29 to level 48 in a single day. A platinum that once seemed far too time-consuming to complete (especially after the game glitched Dressed to Kill/Fully level the Nanosuit on me) is now within reach. Although I may be required to reboot and level the Nanosuit a second time for Dressed to Kill, this exploit allows me to earn enough XP to accomplish that in a day or two instead of a month or two.

Thanks to PRTM_CLUESCROL for the explanations and clarifications regarding DDos.

EDIT: For players looking to achieve Dressed to Kill, playing Capture the Relay on Standard or Pro will allow you to earn between 10,000-14,000 XP for the Power Mode of the Nanosuit much faster than playing on Classic. Just don't activate Stealth or Armor during the match to level up Power.

For leveling Stealth and Armor quickly, ironically enough, play the mode that has no Nanosuit: Classic. This will earn you around 10,000 XP for both Stealth and Armor, and approximately 3,000-4,000 XP for Power.

Regardless of which CTR mode you use, you will reach 12/12/12/Dressed to Kill on the Nanosuit before level 50. Playing a few rounds in Standard or Pro will just level your Power XP quicker.

Edited by poetic_justice_

Is this why when I log on to the servers the game always freezes? I tried logging on today and it never gets past the initializing squad part.

I am going to try for Tooled Up again.

I lack the technical knowledge to troubleshoot that question. Perhaps someone else on the site knows?

From my experience, Crysis 2 frequently froze, both before and after the DDos server attacks. I didn't notice an increase in freezing while using the exploit.

One thing that may help is restoring/rebuilding your file drive. It won't fix network issues, but it can increase your system performance if the freezing is related to buggy data on your console.

Restoring your PS3 File System & Database Helps to... - PlayStation® Community Forums

• 2 weeks later...
How many people do I need for this? I could sure save some time with this. If anybody wants to add me my PSN is Maven_
You need a minimum of six to start a match. After that your best bet to not be interrupted by random people is to play Classic. No one plays that because there's no Nano Suit.

I know Poetic mentions Classic in the first post, but people were constantly playing on Standard when I was boosting and it caused us to lose a lot of time. Randoms screwed up a lot of matches.

• 1 month later...

I got my account reset for boosting. This happened in like 2013 as well, long after the game had been out. The game would freeze anytime I tried accessing the multiplayer portion. That could explain why a3069namebke is unable to access mp. Not to say he was banned, but that he could just be having a problem connecting to their servers. It's not a very nice way of reprimanding someone for boosting, but that was the way it worked. I honestly thought my game was broken.

Oh and to add insult to injury, I was level 46 when I got my stats reset and I only joined one boosting session. Mother fuckers.

I got my account reset for boosting. This happened in like 2013 as well, long after the game had been out. The game would freeze anytime I tried accessing the multiplayer portion. That could explain why a3069namebke is unable to access mp. Not to say he was banned, but that he could just be having a problem connecting to their servers. It's not a very nice way of reprimanding someone for boosting, but that was the way it worked. I honestly thought my game was broken.

Oh and to add insult to injury, I was level 46 when I got my stats reset and I only joined one boosting session. Mother fuckers.

I hate when devs do this. Let me play the game the way I want to.