Review This Game!

Rockets

How Good Is This Game?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. How Good Is This Game?

http://i628.photobucket.com/albums/uu10/jjjjjjj_photo/crossedgeps3.jpg Average Game Rating = 7.3/10

Screenshots

http://i628.photobucket.com/albums/uu10/jjjjjjj_photo/cross-edge-20090407044247157_640w.jpg http://i628.photobucket.com/albums/uu10/jjjjjjj_photo/xedge.jpg http://i628.photobucket.com/albums/uu10/jjjjjjj_photo/32093.jpg

How To Review

1. PLEASE DON’T post a review without having played the game first!

2. Please don’t post a review unless you have played alot of hours or have completed the game.

3. Only write about the multiplayer aspect in the ‘Multiplayer Experience’ heading.

4. Please put a description in each section & then rate it out of 10.

5. Do not review on the trophy aspect of the game.

6. Review what YOU think & don’t be influenced by others.

Reviewing Game - Cross Edge

Story:

Gameplay:

Controls:

Graphics:

Sound:

Wow Factor:

Replay Value:

Multiplayer Experience: N/A

Rent Or Buy This Game?

Your Personal Verdict & Your Final Rating: PLEASE VOTE!

Please Use the above as a template for your review. If you need help with anything please refer to this thread >>> http://www.ps3trophies.org/forum/user-generated-content/16959-how-write-review.html#post213134

*PLEASE NOTE: ALL NON-REVIEW RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED*

Edited by Rockets

Story: I give it a 7

Gameplay: 8 when the game is install everything run okay

Controls: This is a weak 6 since there nothing to help you

Graphics: a strong 9 simple but nice GFX

Sound: 7 this have nothing special

Wow Factor: Original game, many different compagnie working togeter 9

Replay Value: This is one of is strong point with the new game + 10

Rent Or Buy This Game? No choice here, buy the game over 100 hours of game play

Your Personal Verdict & Your Final Rating: i voted 8

I give it overall 8.

The game is very good in my opinion, but it may not be a game for Average Joe. Since its a litle complex and not exactly state of the art graphics.

But for true lovers of turn based RPG's who loves to spend countless hours of getting the best items, and that sort of thing its a must have.

• 1 month later...

Story: Some of the characters are interesting, but that's instantly where it ends. The story itself is riddled with cliches, and every single move is predictable. Story is definitely NOT a strong point. 5/10

Gameplay: Highly addictive, and where it shines. I love the complex gameplay, micromanaging and strategic challenge. It runs fine by me, none of the framerate hitches have hit me at all, and it all runs pretty well. Confusing at first, but easily overcome with some thought. 9/10

Controls: ... Same as gameplay. No idea why this is a separate category. 9/10

Graphics: Seriously. Whoever voted 9 in this category is blind. This game could've easily been put on a PS2, and then still most of the PS2's library would surpass it. The 3D models are low res, the sprites are small and lazy, and most of their animation is rigid and lifeless. The artwork is impressive, and there's a lot of it, but nothing is in the form of a cutscene, which is just lazy in the end. This game doesn't focus on graphics though, which is a good thing. Absolutely laughable. 2/10

Sound:Not bad. Some enjoyable tunes, mainly the starting battle music. About halfway through, the battle music shifts to this HORRIBLE tune, and I can't stand it. However, overall a decent soundtrack. Nothing you'd want to buy, but it does the job. 7/10

Wow Factor: Wow, as in, what the fuck there's a lot to upgrade, collect and gather. Other than the huge amount of items, slots, ??? and menus, there's nothing to wow at. Shadow of the Colossus had a WOW factor. This, does not. 4/10

Replay Value:High. There's a new game+, tons to collect, multiple endings, tons of characters, thousands of combos, possibilities and what not. If you're a completionist, you just found your church and bible. 8/10

Rent Or Buy This Game? Rent to see if you like it, then buy it if you do. You can't finish this in a rental. No way. (unless you rush and miss everything, but not plausible.) Rental only if you have something that allows indefinite rentals, such as Gamefly.

Your Personal Verdict & Your Final Rating: In all honesty, Cross Edge isn't a bad game at all. It's not a great JRPG that will go down in history either. It has a LOT of problems, repetitive elements, annoying characters sometimes and an uninteresting storyline. However, the gameplay is addictive, especially if you're a completionist. There's tons to find, synth and collect. If this type of meticulous treasure hunting/forging interests you, definitely check this out.

6.5/10

• 3 weeks later...

Story:5 Boring IMO

Gameplay:8 Combos save this game

Controls:7 Not bad but confusing when you first start

Graphics:7 Could be worse but I like sprites

Sound:5 I play my music while playing this game

Wow Factor:4 Not really

Replay Value:4 I think this game is redundant although I dont mind a little grinding

Rent Or Buy This Game? I bought for the lack of rpg's

Your Personal Verdict & Your Final Rating: I gave it a 7 for rpg alone. This game was fun for awhile now it feels like work and a little vague when it comes to the "endings"

• 3 months later...

I found this to be one of the most despicable RPGs I've ever played. I was so stoked for this game, and it was a huge letdown.

The story was blah, the fighting engine was incomprehensibly bad, the graphics were trash, and the overall game was insipid. Why do people in my PARTY charge me money when I am trying to buy equipment for them? Walking around on an overworld map hitting a button? Really?!? Even the menu system was a mess.

This was easily the most disappointing game I've played on PS3. I gave it about 10 hours, and then I gave up. I still own it, so I might come back to it one day, but it gets a 2 (I don't give ones, since you never know if a worse game will come along).

Thanks for Disgaea, NIS. Now, kindly take this $!@# and flush it down the crapper.

Story: 3 - Bad voice acting, and multiple pointless cut scenes

Gameplay: 5 - Has potential to be an innovative approach to RPG's, but seems to fall short of being memorable

Controls: 4 - Simplistic and not a burden, but gets repetitive

Graphics: 6 - Interesting style but sub par to PS3's capabilities

Sound: 5 - Standard but repetitive. Screeches from female characters as they attack really gets annoying

Wow Factor: 0 -Nothing I haven't seen a million times already

Replay Value: 5 - Multiple endings

Rent Or Buy This Game? If you know you like these kinds of games, buy because its very time consuming. If your not sure, save your money for a better RPG

Your Personal Verdict & Your Final Rating: 4 - This game was equivalent to the crappy movies on a plane, it's not that great but its something to do (especially if there is a drought of games)

• 1 month later...

Story: 7 due to the fractured story sequence. They do try to do something story related with every character, and to try and make it a fresh experience, and it's handled probably as well as you could expect, but it's a bit too inconsistent. It's not a horrible story but honestly the comedic value for people familiar and who are really big fans of the respective original series' for each universe, will get more out of it. All of the Makai Senki Disgaea References hit me directly even though that was the only familiar experience.

Gameplay: 8 It's very solid. Even though the overworld could have and probably should have been handled differently I feel that it's a decent enough experience and it handles itself well enough. The battle system is the best combo system ever done in a turn based JRPG from ANY game that I've previously experienced. I've never seen a better combo system and it far surpassed what I've seen from the similar games. The way you can combine different characters, attacks, etc... is amazingly strung together and once you get the hang of it it feels great.

It gets dragged down a bit however due to the complexity as well due to the fact that it's hard to decipher some of the attacks in a meaningful way making branching combos really hard to pick up without some sort of video or better explained text offerings.

Controls: 10. The controls fit the game just fine, rarely have problems, it's intuitive enough IMO.

Graphics: 7. It could be better, but i think it's good enough for what they're trying to do. It's not going for the Final Fantasy sort of graphics it's hitting a more retro look with a new vibe to it. I think it does a well enough job. Not every game has to be super articulated 3d polygons in order to have good graphics and I think that graphics whores really don't understand graphics themselves. If you're into the retro sprite based look and can't get enough of it, this game should be fine for you, and the monsters have some intersting 3D so it's an interesting graphical experience.

Sound: 8 It's pretty good dialogue (once again) considering it's premise. I liked a lot of the music, the sound effects were fun and interesting, and generally in RPGs like this I end up putting on a podcast while I grind because that's what I feel these games are great for. You work towards the longer stretches by listening to something you enjoy off of an MP3 player or PC and you just enjoy yourself and relax. If you can't understand that you'll probably hate the sound after 20 or more hours. I personally enjoyed it.

Wow Factor: 9 This game impressed me quite a bit and i feel it's a really good RPG the combo system is the best I've ever seen in any RPG. I mean if you compare games like this to Final Fantasy VII or Grandia 2 and 3, then you don't really understand what this game is going for. So in context to what this game is trying for, and what it is trying to be (which is heavy fan service of combining different characters from different RPGs in what if scenarios) then this game does a good job. If you want a completely new and unique story with amazingly breathtaking visuals and strong character development that gives you emotional attachment to each character then this game is not for you and you should have known that by now.

Replay Value: 6 The NG+ feature is nice, but I"ve beaten the game 2 times and haven't gotten the true ending and it's frustrating me so I really don't feel much like this game is heavy on replay value unless you're trying for EVERY trophy and endings and are a completionist.

Rent Or Buy This Game?

I don't recommend renting this game. I would try and get this game for the lowest possible price. On sale some where, buy 2 get 1 free at gamestop, etc.. I would try and get this game for 30 dollars if you could, and then if you feel like the game is worth while, maybe buy the DLC if you feel like the game deserves it.

Your Personal Verdict & Your Final Rating: PLEASE VOTE! 8

This is a VERY niche' game. It's not for everyone. If you love RPGs and you're leanient and you don't let minor details get to you, it's a great game. If you're nitpicky and you're not a huge japanophile and you want the best and greatest JRPG in existance... Then wtf are you doing here? Most of the fun in this game is the post game if you're ok with a lot of grinding. The combo system is amazing and if you don't believe me youtube it.

• 2 months later...

10 for me. I love being able to play as some of my favorite JRPG characters in a crossover RPG such as Ar Tonelico, Disgaea, Mana Khemia, Atelier, and Spectral series plus with the throw in of Darkstalkers characters(which is another series I enjoy which is a fighting game by the way) just makes me absolutely enjoy it. It even has some characters that were made just for this game as well to help build the story.

I also love the opening song which is done by Haruka Shimotsuki which does a lot of music for Gust games.

The game itself to me was so addictive that I basically went a couple of months just with playing probably a few hundred hours playing it with all of the times i've beaten the game so far.

Plus I love the DLC for this game and has helped me a lot. I also love the additional costumes it gave me to put on the girls.

It has a good English and Japanese dub too unlike that other crossover JRPG game on PS2 Chaos Wars.

• 1 month later...

Story:

Your typical JRPG game, with a hero (or in this case a bunch of heroes) joining together in saving the world. Its quite cliche, need I say more? ;)

Gameplay:

Perhaps the best part about the game, the unique battle system is perhaps the only part of the game that makes this title shine. I would give it more detail but you can always watch videos off of YouTube. The flashy-ness and ridiculous attacks makes the battles very enjoyable.

Controls:

Your very simple, generics controls as with most games. There's no camera control as everything takes place in 2D so no issues there

Graphics:

2D sprites, anime characters, defintely great visuals for JRPG fanatics! Fanservice and crossover from characters makes this an instant eye catcher!

Sound:

After playing the game for over 200ish hours, I can say the score is awful albeit mediocre at best.

Wow Factor:

Not necessarily "WOW", but considering it released during the time when the PS3 lacked JRPG titles I would say pretty decent.

Replay Value:

2 playthroughs? Once for fun and the second time to get the other endings. One playthrough can take a while as Hard is pretty forgiving,

N/A

Rent Or Buy This Game?

Rent it if you wanna try it out first. Otherwise a buy, too many things to do in a rental.

8/10

• 4 weeks later...

i give it a 10, this mainly plays a reason is that I NEVER EVER look at a downside of a game i have as long it doesn't affect my gameplay

so yeah basiaclly all my games are 10 IMO, which include terminator :D

aside from that, i Love NIS

• 1 month later...

Story: 7, not that much of a story or great story. The events are mostly just conversations that forces you to laugh. Did love the bittersweet true ending though.

Gameplay: 10, absolutely loved the battle system with its endless possibilities of combos.

Controls: 10, same as for gameplay.

Graphics: 6, old school rpg graphics.

Sound: 10 due to having Japanese voices

Wow Factor: 8, first time I had experience with this way of battle system. My first NIS rpg due to the years I played WoW on the pc and missed out on all the great NIS titles on PS 2.

Replay Value: 8 due to the different possible endings.

Rent Or Buy This Game? Buy cause this game takes way to long to end, especially if you're going to try to plat it.

8 mostly due to the battle system. Though if I have to rate getting the plat it would be 5 or less cause the synthesizing was extreme boring to the point that it almost driven me insane.

Edited by mugiwara84

• 1 month later...

So, in the interest of fairness and balance, I have decided to review the game again, now that I have beaten it and put many hours into the postgame.

Story: 3

What story? I didn't know (or care) what was going on for 90% of the game. When the idea finally started to materialize (right around...the final battles), I really didn't care. 5 universes may have collided, but not one of them provided one moment of entertaining storytelling.

Gameplay: 3

Seriously, I walk around an overworld, hitting the square button hoping to trigger events to progress? The rest of the time, you fight a stable of about...15 monsters with 7 palette swaps each. I've seen fewer games with more insipid gameplay. In fact, it's hard to say that I was playing this game at all outside of battle.

Battle has some good ideas that are poorly implemented. I like the theory of the combo system, but did it have to be this confusing? Between the absurd rules for setting up combos (essentially requiring either a guide or a serious study of the Arcane Tomes found in the game...assuming you can decipher the nonsense found in them), and the assortment of useless gauges (one "Break" gauge would have been more than enough - did we really need "Down" and "Burst" as well).

In addition, the grid was just pointless. Essentially, it just made life for the player more tedious (the enemies never played by the rules here, just like with EX Skills). It's good enough to get a mention as having potential, but rotten enough to heap scorn upon.

Controls: 3

The controls are abominable. On the overworld, your character will get hung up on the most ridiculous things (forgetting the fact that my icon was as wide as...a river, why then can't I move past some...odd line that seems to signify nothing?).

Battle controls are slight better, but more shortcuts would have been delightful (such as an "escape battle" shortcut). Perhaps you can form these yourself, but it's very annoying when you are hunting monsters not to be able to just hit a singe button to escape. Add to this the horrible menu interface (you have to hit circle twice to get out of the item menu...but if you hit it a third time, you just wasted an attack!), and you have a major headache.

Graphics: 1

Embarrassing. The sprites look lazy (could they have at least had them change clothes?). The still cut scenes are a monumental bore. And the overworld? I might as well have been playing Zelda II on the NES.

Sound: 5

I liked the voices in this one (particularly prinny and Ayetane, or whatever his name was). The music has a few memorable tunes (I loved one of the dungeon pieces), but overall was pretty bad (the battle music, in particular, was just awful).

Wow Factor: 1

Seriously? The only wow I got from this game is, "How can this game have fooled so many people into pretending to like it? Come to think of it, how did it even get released? Wow!"

Replay Value: 1

There are three endings. After one playthrough, you won't care.

Rent Or Buy This Game? Destroy

That should be the third option here. Under no circumstances should you buy this game. Personally, I think you should avoid renting it as well. There's really little good to say about it. Hopefully, someone will create a website devoted to removing this abomination.

Your Personal Verdict & Your Final Rating: 2

As Charles Barkley would say,

"Turrible. Just turrible."

i gave it an 8, only because i really enjoy turn based rpgs. If i wasnt a fan of that, id pretty much hate this game.

The graphics are pretty bland, the menus are way way wayyyy too cluttered, ive never played a game that i could get lost in the menus but here it is..

I really enjoyed disgaea 3, and this game is nothing like that whatsoever. i can already tell the game is going to be a grindfest, which i dont mind too much since im not working on any other grindfest games right now.

I cant say id recommend this game tho, unless your just a fan of turn based battles. On a brighter note, the amount of customization you can do to your characters, skill sets, weapons/armor/etc etc is pretty scary... and possibly the only reason to trudge through the game.

Story sucks, i havent paid any attention to it whatsoever.

• 2 months later...

Give it a 9. Gameplay is addictive, combos are cool as hell, and I like the characters. After buying this Trinity Universe and Last Rebellion I have to say so far I have enjoyed all 3 games very much. In closing words I have to say fuck all the negative reviews, you just dont understand a good JRPG when it bites you in the ass.

• 7 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Story: 0 - non existent with uninteresting characters who use foul language for no reason.

Gameplay: 3

Controls: 0

Graphics: 1

Sound: 3

Wow Factor: 0

Replay Value: 5

This is a JRPG with not much going for it and this is coming from a huge RPG fan for last 20+ years. First thing that I have encountered is the difficulty understanding the combat system. It took me around 10 hours to actually get what was it the game wanted me to do and I couldn't have done it without a guide. Once I actually understood the system the game actually graced me with a few hours of fun which unfortunately culminated in me finding acquiring new skills painfully slow and when I actually have acquired them spaming the same combo over and over and over again for around 100 hours into post game. My main problem with gameplay is that it requires 0 strategy even though this is a turn based rpg with grid system ... Most of the combat revolves around killing stuff in one turn after acquiring reserve AP. Not only that the there are very few visually different enemies in this game instead every new area features exactly same enemy model just colored differently. Most of the combat also annoyingly starts with monsters spaming combos on your party for 30 seconds thats with animations off. I also find the game is impossible to play with animations turned on as it already takes forever to do anything as is without them.

The amount of grinding required to accomplish anything in this game can complete with any MMO.

The interface for everything in this game is atrocious. The most horrible interface I have ever seen. The game throws hundreds of items in a single list without any option to sort them and finding a single item you need is excruciating and every list is exactly like that and there are a lot of them.

Graphics are bad. Its managed to be much worse than Disgaea somehow not only that it manages to lag while displaying 2D sprites. Not only technical execution of graphics is bad but the art itself is poor.

The only thing this game has going for it is a huge time sync for your time if you enjoy endless grinding for stats. Thats about it.

Edited by asdfen

• 2 months later...

I would have to say 7.5/10.

I had fun with it but it is definitely not for everyone. There were some dubbing issues like with some of Miko's attacks and the near impossible to know without a guide true ending requirements, but still a fun game.

Also F*** that Pink Dragon.:D