Great but Brutal Game

ShinNefzen

As gamers we all have some fond memories of various games from our childhood. One of mine was as a kid at my local Target store and playing Comix Zone on their Genesis kiosk in the back of the store. I remember at the time how incredibly unique and creative the game was.

16 years later and I still have a lot of those feelings. I played through Comix Zone again about a year ago and still found myself enjoying this experience.

I'm definitely looking forward to snagging this for free on July 5 when it opens for PS+ members.

One thing that hasn't changed about this game is its brutal difficulty though. You get one life and 1 continue for the whole game (assuming you beat episode 1). No extra lives. No continues to pick up or gain through points. Oh yeah, and you lose life almost constantly because punching/kicking down barriers to continue actually HURTS YOU. Oh yeah, and there are bottomless pits later on that kill you instantly. Been playing the game like a pro for over an hour and a cheap flying enemy knocks you into a pit? You get to start the game over from the beginning. Thanks for playing.

There were cheats for the game to make life easier, but even with something like infinite life this game was no cakewalk. Infinite life can't save you from a cheap pit death.

Still, this was a fun experience and one I'm looking forward to experiencing again. Hopefully this version of Comix Zone will be like the 360 version and let you save on the fly. That will make life considerably easier and make this game more accessible for the casual audience who will probably be turned off by this game's difficulty.

I just hope the game has a good trophy list to keep me coming back.

For those who aren't aware, PlayStation Plus members will be able to download Comix Zone free from July 5th to August 2nd. Regular PSN users can pick it up for $4.99 US starting July 19th.

I look forward to having some good discussions about this game as people start picking it up in July. It'll be interesting to see how first time players receive this fun but difficult classic.

*marks July 5th on his calendar*

Edited by ShinNefzen

• 2 weeks later...

The cheats worked in the Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection version of Comix Zone, so I wouldn't be surprised if they worked in the PSN release.

And yeah, Comix Zone was a good example of an early game to have more than one ending. It was way too easy to get through the whole game then accidently screw yourself at the last minute and get the bad ending :2walls:

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I agree the original version was very hard, but now with the savestates feature, I thought the game was just plain easy. I mean; you can save anywhere, whenever you want, as much as you like. It would still have been challenging if you had a limited number of saves per episode or something, but as it is now, there's hardly any challenge left. I actually found it a bit disappointing how easy it is now.

I suppose I could make things more interesting by limiting myself to a few saves per episode, but... the mind is weak, I can't resist savestating during the harder parts. :p

This is easily in my top 10 games of all time. just got done with the 100% and loved every second of it. I do agree it's hard, but not too bad once you memorize where all the secrets are and know when to use the rat to rip hidden things out of the background. Really the hardest part about the game is the sections that require you to make jumps...ugh I hate though. The save anywhere feature makes this game a cakewalk though

I found the game very easy to 100%. I saved a lot and when I lost a lost of health from a certain enemy or got hit by the bombs. I just exit to the main menu and tried again. Took my time and followed the paths the video walkthrough had to obtain all the trophies.

Edited by Blaze Naruto Shippuden
lol walk was chaged to saved

I found the game very easy to 100%. I walk a lot and when I lost a lost of health from a certain enemy or got hit by the bombs. I just exit to the main menu and tried again. Took my time and followed the paths the video walkthrough had to obtain all the trophies.

Well yes obviously, if you're going to abuse the saves. But can you imagine playing this back then on your Genesis? This game must have been awfully brutal :scared:!

It's pretty damn hard without the saves, yes. I originally played the PC version and I would actually write down which routes were the easiest to take (I don't think I already had internet back then, because I didn't use any online guides).

The savestates feature kinda ruins it imo, makes things a little too easy. Despite what I said before, I have replayed the game again without using any savestates at all. I made it to episode 3, 2nd stage before dying in miserable ways. So close to the end! :[

Might try again one of these days. If I could beat it all those years ago without savestates, I should still be able to do it now... assuming my gaming skills haven't been decreased by today's generally easier games. I'm pretty sure that's the case, though. A lot of older games seem impossibly hard now. :p

IIf I could beat it all those years ago without savestates, I should still be able to do it now... assuming my gaming skills haven't been decreased by today's generally easier games. I'm pretty sure that's the case, though. A lot of older games seem impossibly hard now. :p

Thats the truth right there haha