Drugs? In Clannad? Whaaaat?

raspberrylicious

Okay, so on the back of the package, along with the other CERO rating symbols, is a syringe, which I assume stands for drugs. Is there any in the game or does the needle mean something else. If there is any, how bad is it? What type of drugs? Are they visibly used or just referenced, etc. Thanks in advance~

Okay, so on the back of the package, along with the other CERO rating symbols, is a syringe, which I assume stands for drugs. Is there any in the game or does the needle mean something else. If there is any, how bad is it? What type of drugs? Are they visibly used or just referenced, etc. Thanks in advance~

Pretty sure that the syringe implies "addictive/abuse-able substances" and not necessarily "drugs." There's alcohol in the game as well as cigarette smoking, but no hardcore narcotics or whatever. At least not that I can recall anyway. o_O

EDIT - Actually, I take that back... that symbol *does* mean "drugs," there is a separate one for alcohol/tobacco use. Hmm... I don't know then, I don't remember any sort of drug use. technole? :)

Edited by Aeliana

Pretty sure that the syringe implies "addictive/abuse-able substances" and not necessarily "drugs." There's alcohol in the game as well as cigarette smoking, but no hardcore narcotics or whatever. At least not that I can recall anyway. o_O

EDIT - Actually, I take that back... that symbol *does* mean "drugs," there is a separate one for alcohol/tobacco use. Hmm... I don't know then, I don't remember any sort of drug use. technole? :)

I'm guessing it's referring to the drug use in Yoshino's backstory. If so, then it's just alluded to briefly in a flashback.

Yep, keep in-mind that Japan is a bit more sensitive to different things than the US/EU territories and all it takes for a simple depiction or reference to drugs like in Yoshino's casual reference for CERO to slap the drugs (麻薬) logo on the case. Of course Clannad is rated CERO C.

Even the anime had some implied drug use as well with Tomoya.

Edited by technole

Yep, keep in-mind that Japan is a bit more sensitive to different things than the US/EU territories and all it takes for a simple depiction or reference to drugs like in Yoshino's casual reference for CERO to slap the drugs (??) logo on the case. Of course Clannad is rated CERO C.

Even the anime had some implied drug use as well with Tomoya.

Well that's because Tomoya was acting just like his father did back when his wife died and Tomoya with Nagisa's death.

Also, Nagisa's father smokes a lot of cigarettes.

Edited by Shuffle

Sounds like Japan is a lot more serious about drug use than other parts of the world. Thanks guise! :p

Well it's just all part of the CERO C rating it got besides the other reasons for that age rating. Having smoking in the game is not considered a call for the C (15+) age rating, but stuff like the violence, language(not real strong language and just language you would hear many anime or videogame series that are suitable for teens). Some scenes can also get a little suggestive with some older teen humor as well as scenes that can be depressing that are for a little more older audience. Or even like when Nagisa gets drunk with just a sip of Sake and the alcohol usage in Tomoya and his father's depression scenes.

Even in America, we see movies, games, etc. that can say use of drugs in the age rating even if it's just in 1 scene with having a person with a cigarette in their mouth or even just someone talking about smoking.

• 5 weeks later...
I thought I would just ask it here as to not start a new thread, even though it's a bit off-topic:

Does anyone know if the Dreamcast versions of Kanon and Air are voice-acted? Thanks!

Yes, I have both and they're both voice-acted (aside from the main character, of course). Both are also, of course, the all-ages versions.

I thought I would just ask it here as to not start a new thread, even though it's a bit off-topic:

Does anyone know if the Dreamcast versions of Kanon and Air are voice-acted? Thanks!

The PSP versions are better. The main character is voiced unlike Tomoya in Clannad, though Tomoya was voiced in Tomoyo After: It's a Wonderful Life. You can also save any CG image to your PSP Memory Stick.

Oh and in case you didn't know, All Ages Version basically means the hentai is removed when it comes to PC Visual Novels. It doesn't actually mean it's suitable for 2 year olds. When these companies release it on game systems, they take out that hentai. Then they make a new PC version that also has no nudity, etc. Though Clannad never had hentai to begin with unless you count Tomoyo After.

Edited by Shuffle

Yeah, Shuffle raises some good points. The PSP versions should be easier to come by, and will work on a domestic PSP (with a domestic Dreamcast you'll need a boot disc to run them). I don't have them since I'd already got them twice (Dreamcast + PC re-release).

Shuffle's also right about the 'all-ages' clarification. What it really means is that it is *legal* for anyone to purchase (as opposed to the adult versions which are actually restricted to adults). Looks like the PSP version of Kanon is rated CERO B (12 and up), while Air is rated CERO C (15+), the same as Clannad.

Yes, I have both and they're both voice-acted (aside from the main character, of course). Both are also, of course, the all-ages versions.

Thanks! ^_^

The reason I'm asking is because I don't want to get the PSP version of Kanon, which isn't fully voiced. I already have Air on my PSP. They don't look too hard to come by. I saw them for very cheap ($15-30) on ebay.

Edited by raspberrylicious