Can't get perfect Octa-Locks

Kingg

So I just beat the hard campaign and am moving on to gold star runs, but I can't feel the beat and when I'm supposed to be hitting. There's no distinct beat and I do better when I just randomly do it then when I try to time it. I've tried turning SFX all the way up and music down and vice versa and neither worked. Any help? I can't really even begin my gold runs until I get the beat down but I can't do it. I've never played rez or lumines or anything, so how do I do this?

I've gotten better but still find it hard to get to and maintain x8. I did level 4 and was able to only get a little over 400k points. I find it easier to just mute the game and count out 1-2-3-4 with the vibrations, but even then I feel many times I hit it right on and don't even get good, it just messes up completely. And times when it doesn't vibrate I have no fucking clue when to time it.

• 2 months later...

I got the platinum within a week earlier this year with Sajiko's excellent guide. Luckily I got the beat down pretty much earlier on with the 1-2-3-4-release combination. I then used 1-2-3-release, 1-2-release and finally 1-release since you have to be pretty quick with the Octa-locks to maintain high scores in the later levels. The tempo can increase at certain sections of each level, so make sure that you count slightly faster.