How many people's platinum was ruined by babel?

xMerkii

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mine was almost ruined by Babel. i had been working on Catherine for some time now. and maybe about a couple of weeks ago, I started Babel. I was stuck on Obelisk for sometime. I tried solo and pairs and just was not getting it. I think I just had really really really bad luck. It seemed to be worse every time I tried. I did get to level 8/9 like once. But most of the time, it tended to fall apart around 6/7, about the time that all the monster blocks show up and screw you over royally. :p

I actually finally managed to beat Obelisk in pairs two nights ago. Axis Mundi was definitely a lot easier by comparison. It only took me about two hours or so, compared to multiple hours/attempts at Obelisk. <_<

I swear, I was ready to give up and write Catherine off as a game that I would never get around to Platinuming. But thankfully, I managed to persevere and finally beat Obelisk. I think, really Obelisk is the bottleneck. Because Axis Mundi, while annoying, is much, much easier. The really late sections in Axis Mundi, you get a lot of normal blocks, and its very simple by comparison.

The thing that really sucks the most is, its not really just about skill. The majority of the time it has to do with luck. Sure, skill obviously helps, and being able to think quickly can aid in recovering from bad drops and mystery blocks. But, time and luck are overwhelmingly the dominating factors here. I dont care how skilled you are, if you get bomb after bomb after bomb, mixed in with cracked blocks, it can be extremely tough, if not near impossible to recover from some situations.

All I can say, is just keep at it. As most people have recommended, take a break, walk away, cool off. Take a few days, or even weeks. Then come back and tackle it. Maybe your luck will change. Mine certainly did. :p

Btw, I had trouble with Altar too. I beat it in pairs. But Menhir, I was able to do solo. I did Obelisk and Axis Mundi in pairs as well. It can be a pain, and it can get confusing, especially with the time whittling down, you might panic and get confused when swapping back and forth between controllers. Just pause, take a breath, and compose yourself, before getting back in there.

Ste

Patience, that's all you need. I felt like you once, i couldn't even beat Altar but i kept trying until i did then i got stuck at obelisk and rage quit the game, after about 5 months i came back and i did it, i finally have my plat. So keep trying you'll eventually learn the patterns and techniques you need to succeed.

Like many others, I was about to give up as well. Couldn't beat Altar for a long time. After a week I finished Altar and Menhir was surprising easy because it took me 5 tries. Obelisk took me almost 2 weeks. And Axis Mundi is relatively easy compared to Obelisk. Could just be me because I played Axis Mundi on pairs since it's bugged for single player and completed the other 3 babel stages on single.

Anyways, Just take a day or two break and try again. Obelisk was by far the toughest for me. And I would do around 5 attempts per day for two weeks and eventually beat it.

I would advise watching some Altar videos. I know they are random and you probably won't end up with the same pattern/blocks as they do but the techniques they use can be very helpful.

Good luck!

I actually really enjoyed babel mode, you have time to think and nothing chasing you up trying to kill you! Stick with it and you will get there in the end, after a couple of hours with the game I thought I would never get the plat and low and behold a little over a month later, ping, I got it!

Man.. I'm stuck on Obelisk, but it seems very doable for me. I got to 182 steps on my first few tries, and now I just died at 212 steps with the bell right above me... lol. That pissed me off. Now I'm taking a break to finish off the hard golds.

I never thought I'd plat this game when I first tried Altar and got my ass handed to me.. but you do get a lot better the more you play. Just like any other game. The plat seems definitely within reach now.

Babel mode made (more like icing on a tasty cake) the game for me and had it not been for that damn Axis Mundi glitch, I'd have done all the stages 1 player style. Using 2 controllers to cover the spread is cowardly. It's unfortunate Atlus hasn't gotten on top of that and fixed the situation regarding said glitch.

Okay, so pairs is easier? I'll try get the only person i know who owns this game to come over some day and try get this platinum once and for all, only babel and the final rapunzel trophy left :)

You don't even need another person. You can just play with the two controllers yourself. It's easier than it sounds. That's how other people and I have gotten the trophy.

finally got my plat. i was stuck on altar at first. i think i was so burnt out on the game, getting gold, replaying thru to get all the endings, i was kinda just tired. so i did the 2 controller method and got thru altar easily. i managed to do menhir solo once i watched some videos. then i got stuck on obelisk. i was ready to give up, because i was even having trouble in pairs. i couldnt get the rhythm going, and bad luck just screwed me over with bomb blocks, mystery blocks, and monster blocks. after taking a break for a week, i finally managed to beat obelisk in pairs. axis mundi was cake in pairs by comparison.

and i wouldnt say its "cowardly" to have to beat the game in pairs. thats pretty insulting. i woudlnt say using pairs is any more "cowardly" than using a guide to help you. <_< i suppose i could go back and try it in singles, but im too burnt out and tired of the game by now. i even got sick of rapunzel. i did most of the first 64 stages myself. i think i only needed two or three videos. but by the time i got to the extra stages, i was dead tired of playing the game. i did some of the early stages on my own, but if i couldnt figure it out after a few tries, i just went to the video. by the time i was about a third of the way done, i just started following the videos for the rest of them :p

i think the game is really great. and i think i really liked it, even in my 2nd playthru. playing on hard did make it challenging. frustrating sure, but i did enjoy that sense of accomplishment when i managed to get my gold trophies for each stage. but after replaying it multiple times, even just skipping thru everything, it kind of gets exhausting. so im kinda also glad to be done with the game.

Ste

finally got my plat. i was stuck on altar at first. i think i was so burnt out on the game, getting gold, replaying thru to get all the endings, i was kinda just tired. so i did the 2 controller method and got thru altar easily. i managed to do menhir solo once i watched some videos. then i got stuck on obelisk. i was ready to give up, because i was even having trouble in pairs. i couldnt get the rhythm going, and bad luck just screwed me over with bomb blocks, mystery blocks, and monster blocks. after taking a break for a week, i finally managed to beat obelisk in pairs. axis mundi was cake in pairs by comparison.

and i wouldnt say its "cowardly" to have to beat the game in pairs. thats pretty insulting. i woudlnt say using pairs is any more "cowardly" than using a guide to help you. <_< i suppose i could go back and try it in singles, but im too burnt out and tired of the game by now. i even got sick of rapunzel. i did most of the first 64 stages myself. i think i only needed two or three videos. but by the time i got to the extra stages, i was dead tired of playing the game. i did some of the early stages on my own, but if i couldnt figure it out after a few tries, i just went to the video. by the time i was about a third of the way done, i just started following the videos for the rest of them :p

i think the game is really great. and i think i really liked it, even in my 2nd playthru. playing on hard did make it challenging. frustrating sure, but i did enjoy that sense of accomplishment when i managed to get my gold trophies for each stage. but after replaying it multiple times, even just skipping thru everything, it kind of gets exhausting. so im kinda also glad to be done with the game.

Ste

I was stuck on alter for ages, I thought it would be impossible to do pairs as none of my friends have or know about the game so I tried it myself with two controllers, got it first try! :p

I'm stuck on menhir and obelisk now, I can get to around 70 on both pretty easily but then bomb blocks start screwing me over :( I havent even tried axis mundhi yet

Pairs mode is the way to go if you just want the platinum, because it is significantly easier than solo mode. Playing as both controllers is not an issue, as long as you can coordinate a path for both characters, which can take some getting used to. Obelisk was probably the hardest for me (and also the last one because of those bomb blocks).

It is a game where you have to persist and the right blocks will eventually fall into place. Having the belief you can do it and not getting frustrated also helps. It took me a few days with breaks in between to get it down pat, so if you feel like breaking a controller put it down go for a walk and come back to it again later. :)

• 2 weeks later...
Any tips for obelisk? just beat menhir :) so happy

Obelisk. Since you get 7-8 wide sections, the slider becomes useful as always. It is the middle section that will give most players the pain when monster blocks really start coming out. Try to make use of them as fast as-possible to prevent a solution from getting away.

I also prefer to go in with the assumption if you have use a mystery block, its 80% likely going to be a bomb. That helps to in-grain the low margin of error you have, and to get your focus to setup your foundation correctly the first, and only time you'll have. All this stuff sounds simple, but its intuition that helps, some luck with the pattern you get, and a little skill too.

Obelisk. Since you get 7-8 wide sections, the slider becomes useful as always. It is the middle section that will give most players the pain when monster blocks really start coming out. Try to make use of them as fast as-possible to prevent a solution from getting away.

I also prefer to go in with the assumption if you have use a mystery block, its 80% likely going to be a bomb. That helps to in-grain the low margin of error you have, and to get your focus to setup your foundation correctly the first, and only time you'll have. All this stuff sounds simple, but its intuition that helps, some luck with the pattern you get, and a little skill too.

Thank you so much! I started using your methods and guess what? "Cheers to you!" Unlocked :fyea:

[MOD EDIT: Offering to help with trophies and gamesharing is not permitted]

Edited by Johnny Bananas

• 2 weeks later...