Babel tips??

jmarx84

So I am pretty sure that I'm retarded, I cannot beat the first level of Babel, Altar, spent like 6 hours on it. I can consistently get to like 100-115 or so, then I can never keep my foundation and it gets all messed up and unclimbable. Anyone have any tips for keeping foundation strong consistently so higher up isn't all messed up? I feel really stupid I can't even beat the first level lol, don't even want to think about the other 3 :(

Thanks.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I got up there, I Remember it getting pretty hairy too.

Whenever I get up high, it's because I've created paths that don't ruin the foundation of the pieces that fell down. Whenever I die, it's because I don't have enough room to play around with. The only real advice to give is to maintain the structure and give yourself space to work with. Whenever that's untrue, i either pray i get to where it's better, or end up doing a restart. Obelisk is currently thwarting me for that reason, and Axis Mundi requires a brain I'm not sure I have.

Watch some vids of people going up, the ones who make it are good at maintaining a foundation.

EDIT: Oh, And I suppose it isn't really a tip persay, but I didn't go after Babel until after I'd gotten gold on the hard stages, through my own ability as much as possible. I'm not saying I didn't look at a vid after an hour of being stuck in the same area (I will say I only had to do it three times, but that's because I'm a braggart), but putting that time in to figure out how to get there on my own helped shape my brain to understand how paths work.

Edited by Maldron

For the most part, never push blocks towards the back unless you're certain that they do not Edge, leaving a block one further behind is often the cause of the walls becoming unstable and leaving you with little room to work with. I also find that when you've got a space of 3 blocks wide to work with, it's better to pull out the middle one, then push that off towards the left or right (whichever side has 2 blocks to pull out after it), effectively giving you another block of width.

It's how I cleared Menhir.

For Alter I tried to be as minimal as possible. If there was a way up using only 1 or 2 blocks I took that. Always look up the stage to see what side you should climb up on. Sometimes the way the blocks fall make it easier to get up on one side versus the other. Don't worry about the time so much. As long as you don't have to backtrack down because you can't go further up you shouldn't have to worry about the falling blocks.

Edited by PsienceWins

In General for Babel, as many said, you want to minimize collapsing blocks unless you seriously need to(And have the time to). Always try to create a footing and space for yourself to work with, but always remember to try to create a way for yourself back up. Also, try to move around...I mean, don't stick to one area of the tower. It usually leaves you dry in the long run...Obelisk...

Anyway, I'm currently working on Axis Mundi and I can see that it's pretty unforgiving. Though nothing a couple of hours or so won't help.

thanks everyone for the tips, i beat altar within an hour or so after watching some videos and paying more attention if moving a block will cause others to fall. just need to finish some more golds and then i'll try the other babel stages, thanks much :)

Obelisk seems to be VERY big on controlled demolition. It's a skill I don't quite know yet, so getting up there isn't as guaranteed as I'd like. But surviving relies heavily on being able to knock everything down in a favorable stack.

I can do it for the first series pretty nicely. The second series i don't quite know yet, the third series is just a huge sprawl, and the fourth series i'm lucky if I ever see.

Finished Obelisk, started Axis Mundi. It's... something else. You don't have to maintain footing, you have to create footing, otherwise you're left with little room. Takes me three minutes to get forty steps, and then I get swallowed.

Well, that's discouraging. I can't even beat The Altar. The highest I got was 106 but by 90 I am usually left with very little room to work with.

I did some research last night, and learned that everybody who has passed Axis Mundi reset the stage until they get a rare drop pattern at the beginning. Nobody starts in on it until they get that pattern.

This frustrates me, but also gives me more hope. It also makes sense, considering the videos of success all use a drop pattern i ain't never seen.

In general babel news, I've deduced that there are periods where the floor will fall faster than usual. I'm not sure if climbing or increasing level is the way to slow it down again, (nor have i pieced together how level increases, for that matter,) but it definitely starts at the same step level, and stops if you get high enough.

I did some research last night, and learned that everybody who has passed Axis Mundi reset the stage until they get a rare drop pattern at the beginning. Nobody starts in on it until they get that pattern.

This frustrates me, but also gives me more hope. It also makes sense, considering the videos of success all use a drop pattern i ain't never seen.

In general babel news, I've deduced that there are periods where the floor will fall faster than usual. I'm not sure if climbing or increasing level is the way to slow it down again, (nor have i pieced together how level increases, for that matter,) but it definitely starts at the same step level, and stops if you get high enough.

I've actually noticed that Axis Mundi drop pattern in several video sources I watched myself. I didn't notice it right away, but it was something that seemed consistent. I didn't even think twice about the resets shown but its makes complete sense, thanks for confirming.

I've only confirmed that there exists a rare pattern through secondhand gameFAQs tomfoolery and watching vids in the hopes of finding somebody who had a pattern I was using get through. I spent twenty minutes hitting retry and never saw it, so i decided to get the rest of the endings today instead.

I kinda feel like i'll get that pattern and fail all over again, but I truly believe that pattern is necessary. The speed picks up in steps 30-50, and during that time i'm still working in an area three blocks wide at best knocking down tall platforms to go two steps higher.

EDIT: Ugh. I keep trying to forge my way without that prime pattern. Furthest I've got is step sixty, and the quick pace continues to chase me at that level. I'm gonna keep trying this, but I don't quite like my chances.

Edited by Maldron

Alright. All credit to the trophy guide, but in case people still come in here:

If all else fails you, grab a second controller and do the pair version yourself. It was seriously just one attempt to get to the top with this strategy, and I didn't even feel rushed.

I still want to do the singles ladder at some point, but if you want the babel trophies a second controller is going to be an easier option.

Edited by Maldron
Facts!

@Maldron:

you beat Axis Mundi in co op mode? How many steps do you have to go in co op? I finally beat menhir and obelisk, and just finished gold prizes to unlock Mundi... and tried it about 3 times and cried, its ridiculous.

I didn't see the count at the end, but the "halfway" message came at step ninety.

My method was this: Use one character to make a path up until the camera strain wouldn't show the next area. Hang the character I was using off the side of a block, pick up the second controller, and continue building the climbing path with them. Switch off this way, making sure to move the hibernated character if they're in the way of progress. Slow and steady got it done no problem.

Wow. This talk of beating a noticeably easier Babel with a second controller is kind of encouraging. Hmm... has anyone actually recorded beating a Babel stage co-op using the method you suggested Maldron? That would likely be super helpful as a reference.

EDIT: JESUS TAP DANCING CHRIST I DID IT. I FUCKING DID IT. Decided to be a crazy bastard and try Axis Mundi first out of all the Babel Stages in pairs. Beat it within my first 10 tries. Final Step Count is 168. *Faints from joy*

Edited by Schnopps
Update

Wow. This talk of beating a noticeably easier Babel with a second controller is kind of encouraging. Hmm... has anyone actually recorded beating a Babel stage co-op using the method you suggested Maldron? That would likely be super helpful as a reference.

EDIT: JESUS TAP DANCING CHRIST I DID IT. I FUCKING DID IT. Decided to be a crazy bastard and try Axis Mundi first out of all the Babel Stages in pairs. Beat it within my first 10 tries. Final Step Count is 168. *Faints from joy*

Hold the phone! You can beat Babel with two controllers. I might have hope for platinuming this game yet. There aren't any videos of this method on youtube but I think I understand your description Maldron. If anybody finds/makes a video though, it needs to be posted immediately!

Fffuuu obelisk on pair mode is giving me trouble :p

After some many atempts I managed to get to the end button with 1 character but not the other, and she died http://www.boletinsei.com/foro/images/smilies/FFFUUU.gif

Only this and Axis mundi left for my plat... I have to do this or the nightmares won't stop! :D

EDIT: Got plat :)

Actually had to retry Obelisk a lot more than Axis Mundi, those damn bomb blocks suck :D

Edited by Dropeti