Story Discussion Thread *Spoilers*

ShadowAFC

http://www.ps3trophies.org/forum/members/fiftyquid-albums-image-storage-picture12706-attention-sign-orig.png WARNING! http://www.ps3trophies.org/forum/members/fiftyquid-albums-image-storage-picture12706-attention-sign-orig.png

SPOILER TAGS ARE NOT USED IN THIS THREAD!

You have entered a spoiler tag free zone about the game Catherine. This thread has been created to discuss anything Catherine related. You are permitted to discuss key plot points, boss battles and any part of the story openly without the use of SPOILER TAGS. Please note, this is not a "How do I..." thread. Any posts like this will be deleted.

In summary, this is a SPOILER TAG free zone. You do not have to use SPOILER TAGS within this thread. This thread is immune. A little reminder for you all, posting major spoilers without tags outside of this thread is punishable with a three day ban.

This game made me rage and laugh so hard. The Catherine True Ending was the greatest ending ever. When her dad appears in the bar had me and my friend rolling

YES! I love her ending to. Like you and your friend I couldn't stop laughing. Vincent's reaction to her dad was priceless. He nearly had a heart attack.

I just thought of a few things the other day about Catherine the developers didn't put into the game.

1) Online co-op play for tower of Babel or like an online portion to the story where you can either prevent other "sheep" from getting to the top or help other "sheep". It could start out with you in your own section of the tower then it combines into one about 1/3 of the way through.

2) create our own puzzles and upload them to let others play them.

I know it was probably out of their budget but think of how awesome that would be.

Edited by Qu1ck57r1k3

I've almost viewed all the endings except for True Freedom, and I've got to say Vincent isn't the brightest guy seeing as how he wasted $50,000 betting >_<. If I were him I would have invested in a business, a car, a better apartment, or something profitable. Well seeing as how he pretty much wanted to go to space that is still not that great, but seriously no wonder Katherine wanted to manage his bank accounts and he's always broke.

I really LOL when I think his money fail screwed Boss over though. xD

It's worth getting the Bad ends, I saw the Bad Cheater end and it was amusing when Vincent rushed back in the bar shouting "I got hit by a car, call an ambulance!"

The Golden Theater needs a theater mode to rewatch endings and scenes at one's leisure.

1) Online co-op play for tower of Babel or like an online portion to the story where you can either prevent other "sheep" from getting to the top or help other "sheep". It could start out with you in your own section of the tower then it combines into one about 1/3 of the way through.

The Demons' Souls thing... that would be pure hate.

One thing I didn't like was when Trish started explaining the meanings and symbols of the game. It's somewhat consistent with the ham handed strategy that the Twilight Zone went with, but it's better to be obvious ala Citizen Kane than to tell the audience.

By the by, what meaning did others glean from the ants? They toil endlessly for their queen and they lack individual will. I got ideas, but I'm curious what others think.

• 2 weeks later...

When Thomas Mutton was talking about his past, one of the stories he told to Vincent was about how HIS WIFE came home all out of sudden and saw him with another woman. She then "swings all kinds of improvised weaponry" at him. I've actually been wondering if he is talking about his wife when he was still human, or his wife after he became Dumizid.

My bet would be when he was human, and probably how he ended up cursed.

Saw all the ends: True Freedom was nice, True Cheater was the most awesome, and True Lover was the most satisfying.

If there's ever a direct sequel to Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne, I'd love to see demon Vincent make a cameo.

Just attempted Axis Mundi few days ago and was so surprised to find out the true identity of Trisha :o

p.s. My thoughts about the endings are:

True Lover - A very generic happy ending, also gives me a very rewarding feeling to see Vincent's most important moment of his life :)

True Cheater - LMFAO demons FTW !!!!!!

True Freedom - LOL wut? Some space colony thats usually seen only in gundam animes ???

Edited by doomgun

LOL Erica I mean Eric is a man!!

You know, I thought and pondered for a good 3 minutes, " I got 3 endings. I'm sure there's nothing that I don't know already."

And boom, this brain dart made my head explode!

For what it's worth, I find it extremely funny (now that I'm not salty about the spoiler). Because so many hints were dropped in the game -like when she started getting the dreams- but I was so into the main story that I didn't care for her ... or Toby for that matter until my second play through. And I still didn't catch on.

I can't believe I let that sneak by me. I'm usually good at figuring this kind of stuff out.

Something that was bugging me but was never really followed up on properly; Katherine and her baby and Jonny. In the late nightmare stages you meet Jonny and he says how he wonders how his friend could ever forgive him (or something along those lines). Couple that with Justin and his story about the woman who is pregnant with another man's child but will not tell her current partner the truth...

Anyone else think that Jonny and Katherine were secretly an item all along? And that she had the baby aborted or miscarried and then she ended it with Jonny. Out there theory, but kinda makes sense.

Katherine, in fact, knew all along that Vincent was cheating, or at the very least, suspected it. She lied about the pregnancy in order to value Vincent's worth and trust.

As for Jonny, he simply just had an interest in Katherine since the school reunion, the fact that Vincent got her first, and Jonny being a stoic, loyal to friends type of guy, was never going to directly intervene, he's wound up in the nightmare because his attachment to Katherine is, as far as Dumuzid and Asteroth are concerned, a futile lust towards another man's lover, and as such prevents him from being able to procreate.

As I thought, I didn't think she said she was lying. In fact reading that bio has convinced me my conspiracy theory is correct ;)

''While clues have been left that Katherine might have been lying about the pregnancy as a test for Vincent to pass, her reaction during the break up with him paints a clearer picture. She not only tells him that the knowledge of the pregnancy actually scared her, but admits to him she knew about the news earlier, but didn't tell him because she feared he would leave her''

If you read that in a certain way, it totally fits in with Justin's story too. The pregnancy scared her- suggests that she was actually pregnant, why was she scared? questions about her capacity to be a good mother, perhaps. Or maybe the child isn't Vincent and she is afraid of him finding out....

Obviously no way of definitively proving/disproving this theory, unless we have DLC :D

You're interpreting it differently to me.

As far as I'm concerned, the lie could have simply been created unintentionally due to a false reading on a pregnancy test. For all we know.

I still feel Justin's story to be completely unrelated as well, actually thinking about it, it may have been referring to Steve's Wife.

They could have at least made Katherine attractive, nice and at least seem somewhat in love with Vincent. She was like control freak bitch with no other interest in Vince but to have what her friends would think of as a proper family. Even in her true ending she was still bitching about it when everything was explained to her with witnesses and no cheating ever taking place. Even when it was her who wasn't all honest about her "pregnancy". And still Vincent was crying after her the last three days even with 100% chaotic karma.

Well I hate K. No wonder this game has the name Catherine and Catherine also in the cover art.

They could have at least made Katherine attractive, nice and at least seem somewhat in love with Vincent. She was like control freak bitch with no other interest in Vince but to have what her friends would think of as a proper family. Even in her true ending she was still bitching about it when everything was explained to her with witnesses and no cheating ever taking place. Even when it was her who wasn't all honest about her "pregnancy". And still Vincent was crying after her the last three days even with 100% chaotic karma.

Well I hate K. No wonder this game has the name Catherine and Catherine also in the cover art.

C and K are ment to represent a polar opposite of each other: C being the idea of "free to go, free to do" not thinking too much about life in general and only cares about having fun, whilst K is the more traditional, thoughtful and responsible woman. If the game designers made K look more "attractive" on the outside just like C, it would totally go against the type of person she is intended to be.

The designers want C and K to be totally different in every way, thats why you see K in modest clothing and C wearing revealing lingerie. They made their cloths in black and white respectively to push further this idea of "they are totally opposite"

I don't hate K, but I don't really like her either because she once said something like "I will be in charge of both of our money (her and Vince)" letting your partner handle all your income is the worst situation, she could dump you and take away all your assets, even during marriage it is still possible to divorce and take away all your assets. I know this may sound a bit cynical but I really agree with Orlando when he said "all that talk about ever lasting love is bullshit" this line really describes whats happening in the society nowadays, a lot less people are willing to commit themselves to another compared to the previous decades.

Also, if you haven't noticed, while the PS3 has Catherine as the cover girl, the Xbox 360 version has Katherine as the cover girl, but Catherine is obviously the more "fun" woman to be around with :)

Edited by doomgun
typo

Well, in my opinion K wasn't even interested in Vince in romantical or sexual way. She just wanted to look "proper" in front of her friends, wanted to advance her career and wanted Vince to behave so that she doesn't feel ashamed or anything. The only places where she acted like she was in relationship with V where the extended endings of K true and K good. Even her signatory sound on the cell phone was a tired sigh :p