Japanese Trophies in US version? wtf!!??

leptonic

Ey, I'm starting this game (a great one btw) but when I earn a trophy the description and name shows in Japanesse?? is there any way to change this to english?? or I'm screwed??

I bought the US version, the case says BLUS 30428, so it is NOT the japanesse version!

Any help guys?

Yeah same thing happened to me. If your PS3's system default language is not English when you first boot up the game (I assume yours was set to Mexican?), Catherine's trophy list will automatically be set to Japanese. There's no way to change it to English or delete the trophy list so we're stuck with the Japanese list. Luckily the list is all in English on yourgamecard.net, so you can still check your trophies there.

Edited by whassupbun

Ey, I'm starting this game (a great one btw) but when I earn a trophy the description and name shows in Japanesse?? is there any way to change this to english?? or I'm screwed??

I bought the US version, the case says BLUS 30428, so it is NOT the japanesse version!

Any help guys?

Now, Stupid question, Did you have your ps3 language as Japanese or any other language when you first started up the game? I had this happen to a couple of my friends & the trophies were in Japanese because that's the games default if your language isn't set to English.

Edited by Yoda91192

Same happend to me with Blazblue Calamity Trigger..i've got a spanish PS3 in Spanish language (lol...) and when i putted the USA version of BBCT in it all trophies were in jap

SOLUTION: Do a system back up,format ya PS3's HDD,change language to ENGLISH then launch CATHERINE..let it install the game (if needed) and the trophies..once done,check the trophies and,if they're in english,restore your PS3 Backup and you're set :D

Now, Stupid question, Did you have your ps3 language as Japanese or any other language when you first started up the game? I had this happen to a couple of my friends & the trophies were in Japanese because that's the games default if your language isn't set to English.

correct asnwer.

how to solve this in the future:

-set your system language to english, launch the game first time

-trophies are now in english

-set the system language back to what you had before

-done

anyone can add me as a friend on ps3 than i can see the trophy list in english. Cause my trophy is in jap because my system is in french.

thanks

You must have read my other thread on this board, haven't you? Sadly it didn't work as planned, I added those guys but when we compare trophies, the list is still in Japanese. I don't know why it isn't working this time, cos I had a similar problem with some other games such as Portal 2, the list is in Chinese and I wanted to read it in English, so I hit up someone from PS3T and I could compare trophies with him while the list is all in English.

It's Done! problem solved... was not necessary to format my HDD just backed up my saves, delete my main account, after that just recovered my main account and sync with the server for the trophies, and for the LAST STEP, CHANGED the language to english in my console and REINSTALL the game =)

I'm sure that this is an issue ONLY in consoles without english language by default, so, beware everyone! if you do not want to see the trophies descriptions in japannesse lol...

It's Done! problem solved... was not necessary to format my HDD just backed up my saves, delete my main account, after that just recovered my main account and sync with the server for the trophies, and for the LAST STEP, CHANGED the language to english in my console and REINSTALL the game =)

I'm sure that this is an issue ONLY in consoles without english language by default, so, beware everyone! if you do not want to see the trophies descriptions in japannesse lol...

BEFORE you delete your main account and recover it, did you sync your Catherine trophies?

BEFORE you delete your main account and recover it, did you sync your Catherine trophies?

Yh, I tried but nothing changed, finally had to delete my account =( just took me like 45 mins to sync with the server again... almost 150 games trophies took a while lol

Edited by leptonic

To conclude, I also contacted Atlus about this issue, and here's what they answered me:

Hi Paul,

This function was intentional, so there won't be any patch to fix this. If you'd like to see the trophies in English, you'll need to set up a new profile and make sure that the language on your PS3 is set to English. Otherwise, the trophy data will show up in Japanese if your PS3 is set to any other language.

Rob Stone

QA Lead

ATLUS

A brand of Index Digital Media, Inc.

949.788.0455 x117

So yeah, they kinda fucked us on purpose but oh, well. It's weird for Atlus to do that though, I also installed Demon's Souls while my system was set to French and the trophies were displayed in English.

Edited by lepolohuevo

Yh, I tried but nothing changed, finally had to delete my account =( just took me like 45 mins to sync with the server again... almost 150 games trophies took a while lol

The reason I asked that question was because I thought once you've synced your trophies, the server will store your trophy lists with whatever language they were in, case in point - Catherine, the server will save this specific trophy list in Japanese, and even after you deleted and recovered your account, the trophy list would return in Japanese. But clearly I was wrong, and I'm glad I was, I'll try your method once I have time, thanks for letting us know.

To conclude, I also contacted Atlus about this issue, and here's what they answered me:

Hi Paul,

This function was intentional, so there won't be any patch to fix this. If you'd like to see the trophies in English, you'll need to set up a new profile and make sure that the language on your PS3 is set to English. Otherwise, the trophy data will show up in Japanese if your PS3 is set to any other language.

Rob Stone

QA Lead

ATLUS

949.788.0455 x117

So yeah, they kinda fucked us on purpose but oh, well. It's weird for Atlus to do that though, I also installed Demon's Souls while my system was set to French and the trophies were displayed in English.

I can see it now :p DLC patch - 5 $ - Change Trophy to English.

Would be strange, if they didn't fix this.

• 1 month later...

I got this Japanese trophy issue, so to be clear I need to (step by step)

Backup my saves (can I do that with PS+ cloud service?), delete installed game, delete main account, then create account as my main, then sync trophies (why now? not after language change?), change language to English and run Catherine then game will install and I will be happy with English trophies? Everything is ok? Or did I miss something...

• 2 months later...

Side note: My system language is English, and my copy of Catherine is in English, and the trophy I've unlocked also showed up as English on my ps3, but playfire still displayed my Catherine trophies in Japanese:

https://www.playfire.com/doomgun/game/catherine-trophy

Not to mention they also got some trophy pic mixed up .....

Edited by doomgun

• 1 month later...
Side note: My system language is English, and my copy of Catherine is in English, and the trophy I've unlocked also showed up as English on my ps3, but playfire still displayed my Catherine trophies in Japanese:

https://www.playfire.com/doomgun/game/catherine-trophy

Not to mention they also got some trophy pic mixed up .....

I had the same happen with my PSNProfiles card. It's odd, but at least none are going missing.

• 3 months later...

Hi Paul,

Rob Stone

QA Lead

ATLUS

949.788.0455 x117

Seriously man... That's the lamest answer Atlus could give to us, customers. WHY THE F#CK WOULD SOMEONE LEAVE THE TROPHIES DESCRIPTIONS IN JAPANESE ? (being incapable of reading japanese and buying the international english version) ? Also, why this damn glitch occur only in ps3 using other languages differents than english ?

If there's something that pisses me off, that's someone who makes a mistake and doesn't recognize the screw up. I bought my Catherine Region 1 (english), and I was surprised with the japanese/korean/aramaic/whatever descriptions of it. Luckily, I found this forum with the solution: I made a backup on my 16gb pendrive, deleted my account, then I created it again, restored my backup and re-installed the game.

However, I WILL send an email complaining about the glitch on the game, using the google translate to make everything in japanese, and send the message to them, just for them to know how does it feel.

Thanks everyone with the fix!

Best regards!

Rodrigo Oliveira

• 4 months later...

OK I need to ask this to be absolutely sure as I don't want to screw up everything. So I can just use Settings > System Settings > Backup Utility? No need to single-handedly back up every goddamn single save game or the countless games I have on my hard drive? So the steps are:

1. Backup Utility

2. Sync trophies

3. Delete Account

4. Uninstall Catherine

5. Restore my account

6. Install Catherine

Is this correct?

• 1 month later...
OK I need to ask this to be absolutely sure as I don't want to screw up everything. So I can just use Settings > System Settings > Backup Utility? No need to single-handedly back up every goddamn single save game or the countless games I have on my hard drive? So the steps are:

1. Backup Utility

2. Sync trophies

3. Delete Account

4. Uninstall Catherine

5. Restore my account

6. Install Catherine

Is this correct?

Did you try this, and did it work? I'm curious, because I'd like to switch my trophy language too (not for this game, but for Ni no Kuni).