Catan Trophy - Guide and Road Map

Takk_For_Maten

Overview:

-Estimated trophy difficulty: N/A (Only 8 votes so far, in my opinion 5-6)

-Total: 7 (B) , 4 (S) , 1 (G) (6 Secret)

-Offline: 5 (B) , 4 (S) , 1 (G) (6 Secret)

-Online: 2 (B)

-Estimated time to achieve 100%: 10 - 30 hours

-Minimum number of playthroughs needed: 0-1 (No campaign, only single matches both online and offline)

-Missable trophies: 0

-Glitched trophies: 0

-Cheat Codes?: No cheat codes available

Road Map:

Background Info:

The players in the game represent settlers establishing colonies on the island of Catan. Players build settlements, cities, and roads to connect them as they settle the island. The game board representing the island is composed of hexagonal tiles (hexes) of different land types which are laid out randomly at the beginning of each game.

Players build by spending resources (brick, lumber, wool, grain, and ore), represented by resource cards; each land type, with the exception of the unproductive desert, produces a specific resource. On each player's turn, they roll the two six sided dice, determining which hexes produce resources. Any players with settlements or cities adjacent to hexes marked with the number rolled receive resource cards of the appropriate type. There is also a robber token on the board; if a player rolls 7, they move the robber to any hex, which will no longer produce resources until the robber is moved again; they also steal a resource card from another player.

Players are allowed to trade resource cards among each other if both parties to the trade agree on the terms; players may also trade off-island (in effect, with the non-player bank) at a ratio of four of one resource for one of any other. By building settlements in certain spots on the edge of the board (ports), players may trade with the bank at three-to-one or two-to-one ratios.

The goal of the game is to score ten victory points (or less if you change the rules in the options) on one's turn. Players score one point for each settlement built, and a second for each settlement upgraded to a city. Various other achievements, such as establishing the longest road and largest armies, grant a player additional victory points.

Resource cards can also be spent to buy a development card. Three types of development cards include cards worth one victory point; knight cards (or soldier cards), which allow the player to move the robber as if they had rolled a 7; and a third set of cards which allow the player one of three abilities when played. Having played the most knights also earns the player victory points.

Trophies:

The trophies can be gotten in any particular order as there is no campaign mode in this game. Most of trophies are offline, with a couple of online trophies. All trophies can be gotten online if you prefer this, though. If you choose to boost, all trophies can be gotten in a few hours. So check out the boosting thread on this forum if that is what you want. I have chosen to give a description of the trophies and tips for the people that choose not to boost this game.

Boosting Thread: Trophy Boosting Thread (Read First Post!) - PlaystationTrophies.org

I recommend starting in single player to learn the ropes of this game. It is turn based and you can spend a very long time for each turn for everything. There is even a back button if you manage to trade something wrong. This is only the case if you trade with yourself though, NOT if you trade with the AI. The only thing that you have to do quickly is trading. Here there is a timer and until you experience it a few times it is very brutal. The AI will trade with each other very quickly, but if you are the quickest they will always trade with you. So always have a good memory of what cards you have and what cards you need, so that as soon as the trade screen pops up you know if you are gonna trade or not, you only have a couple of seconds to think.

The first trophies you should go for are Metropolis and Overachiever. These are the two easiest ones and will be gotten quickly while you learn the game. Then as you get better, do specific rounds towards the different trophies.

Capitalist and Fortune's Fool are nice ones to get at the same time, cause if you're gonna go bust more than 10 times you WILL collect over 100 resource cards. Just to go Bust 10 times you have to have 80 cards (8x10). And trust me, there wont be a 7 rolled EVERY TIME you have 8 cards. ;) A lot of other trophies can be gotten here as well, but if you try to go for too many trophies at the same time, you'll probably end up not winning and thereby getting none of the trophies :p

When it comes to the rest of the trophies I would just concentrate on one trophy per game, making it a bit easier for yourself. You might not get it everytime, but it's at least easier than going for more several trophies at the same time.

I will only discuss the tactics for getting these trophies offline as online tactics is highly varied and way more complex. I got all of these offline, as winning online by itself is a real challenge. ;) All trophies can be gotten online though, if you wish. To make life easier in getting the trophies put the AI level to EASY. In the settings, put victory points needed to win to 10. And leave game speed to NORMAL, don't go for the 'Quick Match' option. The AI get victory points proportionaly much quicker compared to you in 'Quick Match'. This goes for all of the trophies.

Go online when you feel you have learned the game pretty well. And try and knock off both of the online trophies at the same time. So only play quick matches. NB! This is not the 'Online Quick Match' option, but the 'Quick Match' setting!!! Game still needs to be played online though.

Edited by Terminator
Removed signature.

Trophy Guide:

Online:

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/370/03.jpg (B) Online Champion - Defeat three human opponents in a single online match.

As the trophy says, just win an online match against 3 human opponents. The maximum participants per match is 4, so this means every player must be a human. This can be any kind of online match, you can create one or you can join one. I'd recommend setting up the match yourself though, since then you can choose the settings you like best (which gives you a better chance of winning). If you set up the match yourself, it's also up to you to start the match so that the match isn't started without having a total of 4 human players in it.

-Confirmed that it still counts if 1 or more players leave during the game. (If they leave an AI will take their place)

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/370/04.jpg (B) Sprinter - Win a ''Quick Match'' online.

NB! This is not the 'Online Quick Match' option, but the 'Quick Match' setting!!! Game still needs to be played online though.

Several people have gone wrong here (including me). This just means that you have to win an online match starting with a settlement and a city (known as the 'Quick Match' setting) instead of the normal starting point with 2 settlements. This can be done as long as there is at least 1 human opponent, but can also be done with 3 human opponents. Therefore I recommend setting up an online game with the 'Quick Match' setting, with 3 human opponents and winning it, for both of the online trophies at the same time!

Offline:

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/370/06.jpg (B) Capitalist - Win a match where you have collected over 100 resources.

Collect over 100 resources AND win the match. This will more or less come as you are going for one of the other trophies.

Some tips include:

-Building settlements on the most frequent occuring numbers (8,6,5,9 - Dooh! ;))

-Building your cities on the best numbers, but also where the AI don't seem to block you (They usually only block 2-3 different tiles so you'll see their pattern)

-Using the 'Monopoly' resource card also counts as collecting resources, so use this on a resource that will give you at least 10, as this is will help you greatly.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/370/07.jpg (B) Overachiever - Earn 11 victory points in a single match.

This is pretty simple and was the first trophy I got in this game. All you have to do is get up to 9 victory points (using settlements/cities/victory points) and then either get the 'Longest Road' or 'Biggest Army'. One of these give you 2 victory points, thus giving you a total of 11 victory points.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/370/01.jpg (S) Fortune's Fool - ''Go Bust'' 10 or more times in a single match.

This was actually the last trophy I got and even though it is the only trophy that doesn't need you to win a game, it is pretty challenging and is based more on luck than skill. To 'Go Bust' a 7 has to be rolled and you have to have 8 or more RESOURCE cards on your hand, thus having to give half of your resource cards away. The only problem is that getting that many 7s rolled before one of your AI opponents wins is not very easy. Especially since the 7s often come in quick succession, thus not allowing you to reach over 8 cards again.

I see 2 possible methods to this: (I ended up doing method 2 for my trophy and it is by far the funnest method as well)

1. Don't build anything and hope that your two starting settlements on your 5-6 starting tiles will give you enough cards to 'Go Bust' 10 or more times. The problem here is that 7s in quick succession will never 'Bust' you since you won't have enough time to get over 8 cards again. And the AI opponents will win much quicker if you don't contest them with roads or settlements.

2. Get both of your starter settlements pretty close together and build the 'Longest Road' with strategically placed settlements (every 3rd corner), thus limiting the oppurtunities for them to build settlements and decreasing the amount of resource cards you need to build settlements (if you build every 2 corners). Also try and keep at least one resource away from the AI. Brick is a good one since they are needed to build roads and settlements, and since there are only 3 tiles with Brick (compared to 4 of most others) you can get lucky and be the only one with a good number on brick. Stone is also another option since there is a limit on how many settlements you can build (5 in total), and stone limits their ability to build cities. Stone is the other resource that only has 3 tiles.

When I finally got this trophy, I had more or less blocked half the map with my 'Longest Road', was the only one that got brick (the 3 brick tiles where in one bunch and I had both my starter settlements by them) and I was the only one with a good number on stone. Before this I had many failed attempts, but that round I capped the AI for a very long time at 5-6 victory points and I busted a lot of times. I ended up losing the match (cause one AI suddenly got a horde of victory point cards) and still got the trophy, so I can confirm that the match does not need to be won!

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/370/02.jpg (S) Revolutionary - Win a match where you have collected fewer resources than everyone else.

This is not a walk in the park, as getting lots of victory points usually gets you loads of cards. However, get as many victory points as you can, which does not get you more cards. This includes 'Longest Road', 'Biggest Army' and victory point cards. Other than that it's just hoping your opponents get their numbers rolled more often than you, but that they're too stupid to take advantage of their cards and win. What seemed to be the case for me was that one AI was usually much weaker than the others and I always seemed to collect the 2nd fewest resource cards.

Tips:

-After you have gotten yourself in a position where you can easily win, block yourself with the Robber. Every time you roll 7 put the robber on yourself, thus blocking you tiles and making you not pick a card from your opponents.

-Do NOT use the 'Monopoly' or 'Year of Plenty' development cards. The resources you get from these cards count towards the total as well.

Super Tip:

-Trade with your AI opponents, give them 5 of your cards for 1 of their cards for example. Give them 10 to 1 even. This will work as them collecting resources! Try and at least do this with the weakest AI and it should work out real easy!

Edited by Terminator
Removed signature.

Secret:

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/370/08.jpg (B) Metropolis - Win a match where you have built 4 cities.

One of the easiest trophies. Only one thing you have to be careful about and that is that 4 cities gives you 8 victory points. Therefore you can only have two other victory points, so if you pick up to many victory cards or 'Biggest Army' or 'Longest Road' you will get to 10 points and thus end the game before you get 4 cities.

Tips:

-Have good numbers on stone and wheat as these are needed to build cities.

-And remember you only need a total of 4 roads to get 4 cities. So concentrate on upgrading your settlements to cities before anything else.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/370/11.jpg (B) Road Builder - Win a match where you have built 15 roads.

This trophy isn't too bad either, but again there are some things to watch out for. You only have a total of 15 roads at your disposal so if you misplace a road and can't continue from there you are screwed. So be careful not to lock yourself in, always place your roads with multiple opportunities to continue if possible.

Tips:

-Have good numbers on brick and wood as these are needed to build roads.

-Concentrate on building your road of course, but you have to be careful that someone doesn't build a settlement into your road, so build settlements every 2 or 3 corners to prevent this. Nothing sucks more than having like a 15 long road and then having someone build a settlement into it and splitting it in two! ;)

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/370/12.jpg (B) Five Card Stud - Win a match with all 5 victory point cards in your possession.

This is pretty annoying and could easily have been a silver trophy in my opinion. The hard part here is that you have to get all of the 5 victory point CARDS (University, Marketplace etc.) and if one of the AI picks a development card and gets a victory point you are screwed. Also since you start with two settlement points and can't win until you have 5 victory point cards, this leaves you with only 3 other points to achieve. And to get enough resources so that you can pick enough development cards before someone wins is hard. There are 20 other development cards in addition to the 5 vp cards, so you could be picking 25 cards to get all of the vp cards. You could also get lucky and get them the first 5 cards, so this trophy relies a little more on luck. I got them all within my first 12 cards, so I was extremely lucky.

Tips:

-Put your starting settlements on good numbers for stone, wheat and sheep since these resources are needed to buy development cards.

-But more importantly don't trade stone, wheat or sheep to the AI cause if they pick a victory point card you are screwed. So try and never let them pick one if you can.

-Don't activate more than 2 soldier cards. Since there are 14 soldier cards out of the 25 development cards, you will probably get a horde of soldiers before you get all your vp cards, but if you activate at least 3 of them you get 'Largest Army' which gives you 2 victory points and since you are already limited to only 3 'other' victory points, this limits you even more in your building process.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/370/09.jpg (S) King of the Hill - Win a match with more victory points than your opponents combined.

This is also a bit annoying. It seems that as soon as you close in on victory, all the 3 AI players get a victory point each, thus making it impossible for you to beat them combined. You have to be a bit lucky with the dice, rolling your numbers in the start is a must. You start with 2 victory points and they have 6 combined. By the time they have 8 points you should also have 8 points, and then it is just a matter of who gets the last few points first.

Tip:

-The AI usually speed up their point gathering the closer you are to 10 points. So if you can get 'Longest Road' and 'Biggest Army' on the same turn, with maybe a settlement, for 5 points, thus needing only 5 points before that turn, you will most likely surprise attack them. This is what worked for me as there where so many times I had 8 and 9 points that they got like 3-5 points the round before I was gonna win, like they knew I was going for that trophy. ;)

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/370/10.jpg (S) The Last Crusade - Win a match with at least 10 soldier cards.

This is not too bad, and could easily have been a bronze trophy. There are 14 soldier cards and you need 10 of them. The only thing that is tricky is that you have to activate all 10 of the soldier cards. And since you can only activate 1 development card per round, activating all of them will take some time. Especially if you can't get a new soldier card every round.

Tips:

-Your aim should be at buying at least 1 development card each round. Hopefully you get a soldier card each round so that you can activate one each round, but if not don't worry, it shouldn't be too hard.

-Put your starting settlements on good numbers for stone, wheat and sheep since these are the resources needed for development cards.

-Also remember that you will probably pick up some victory point cards on your way to 10 soldier cards, so don't have too many points from before, as you might hit 10 points before you've gotten enough soldier cards.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/370/13.jpg (G) Miracle Worker - Earn 12 victory points in a single match

This might seem impossible at first, which is probably the reason that it is a gold trophy ;), but there is 1 way to do it, and ONLY 1 way.

The way to do this is to have 9 victory points and to NOT have the longest road. Then you have to build a settlement into the AI with the longest road, giving you 1 extra point for the settlement and 2 points for the 'Longest Road' for a total of 12 points. There are several things to consider here though.

The AI with the 'Longest Road' has to have at least 4 roads between his two houses/cities since there has to be two roads between each house/city. This is based on extreme luck as they usually have no more than 3 roads between their settlements. And the odd chance that they might have 4 roads between their settlements still means that you have to be close by.

Tip:

-Try and contest the AI for the 'Longest Road'. I have seen that if they are close to the 'Longest Road' they will prioritize to build roads instead of settlements. So you get ahead, let them catch up and as soon as they build some roads to pass you, hopefully you can build 1-2 roads and build a settlement in their road to claim victory.

-Be careful of the other AI's roads and not only the AI with the 'Longest Road'. I was so sure I had this trophy in one of my first games as my road was 7 and the AI's road was 9, I built one road (giving me 8) and a settlement into his 'Longest Road', only to find out that another AI had an 8 road as well. Thus giving me 10 points for the win as I shared the 'Longest Road' with the other AI.

The Trophy Guide is now done! And finally the Road Map is done as well. This is my first guide and roadmap so please comment and let me know what you like and what I can improve. English is not my first language, so if there is something unclear please let me know! I hope this helps you with this extremely fun game!!!

Edited by Terminator
Removed signature.

• 2 weeks later...

"You DO get the online champion trophy if someone drops out and you defeat the AI and the remaining players. This happened to me tonight."

Just happened to me too. Played a game in which all three human players were replaced with AI and I still got the Online Champion trophy.

Edited by jajajaja8

You DO get the online champion trophy if someone drops out and you defeat the AI and the remaining players. This happened to me tonight.

"You DO get the online champion trophy if someone drops out and you defeat the AI and the remaining players. This happened to me tonight."

Just happened to me too. Played a game in which all three human players were replaced with AI and I still got the Online Champion trophy.

Great guys, added to the guide! Did it work for the 'Quick Match' online trophy as well?

You might want to also add that the Road Builder road requires 15 consecutive roads, not just building 15 roads. The description does not mention them needing to be consecutive, but I think it is as I built 15 non-consecutive ones and did not get the trophy.

• 2 weeks later...

I just got Five Card Stud and Last Crusade in one game and thought I'd share my strategy. I put my two first settlements on good strategic numbers giving me a lot of ore and grain, but unfortunately no wool.

I did however get an edge space where I got 2 for 1 ports on wool. I got so much grain and ore I was able to trade for wool all game, and port it if necessary.

I drew a total of 10 soldiers, all 5 victory point cards and 4 development cards, all with only 53 resources. If Columbus hadn't had 45 I would have had the criteria for Revolutionary too, but I already have that trophy anyway.

• 1 month later...