What the Hell??

BigWeasel

Is this game going to be available in the United States? Settlers of Catan is my favorite board game, and I'd love to be able to play it on my PS3.

According to this Kotaku article, it's been submitted to the ESRB for rating (and received one), so at this point it's probably just a matter of time before it shows up in North America.

• 3 months later...

Well, the game was just released in the European PSN store.

And good grief, it´s worse than the PS2 version (or was it even PS1?)

The trading screen comes up for about two seconds and almost never gives you enough time to actually make an offer.

The enhanced tile set looks like utter crap. The original tile set is a bit better, but still everything looks like it´s in 320i or something and then badly scaled up.

Well i'm enjoying playing it but it is very very hard even on Easy setting.

The trading screen is very quick too as said above.

I reckon it might get a bit easier once I've played some more and got the hang of it as I dont really know what I'm doing yet!

Well I've been doing better now i've got the gist of the basics. Placing towns on good junctions, making use of ports and placing towns near high frequency numbered resource tiles.

Even got a couple of trophies! Don't think i'll ever get 100% on this one though!

• 5 weeks later...

I picked this up yesterday, and I'm happy with it. It's not as good as I was hoping it would be, but it is still fun and great to be able to play Settlers on my PS3. I wish there were more options, such as different boards and higher point values for the win, but it's great nonetheless. Glad it finally came out over here in the United States.

I got this last night with no history and knew nothing about it. I don't quite understand what's going on and the trade window popping up for no reason and then going away before i can do anything is annoying. I move the "robber" steal cards, get a soldier, and then can't do anything with it. Am i supposed to attack someone? What's the point of upgrading your city? I'm confused and I'm going to keep playing and try online, but this game is strange.

I got this last night with no history and knew nothing about it. I don't quite understand what's going on and the trade window popping up for no reason and then going away before i can do anything is annoying. I move the "robber" steal cards, get a soldier, and then can't do anything with it. Am i supposed to attack someone? What's the point of upgrading your city? I'm confused and I'm going to keep playing and try online, but this game is strange.

You should go through the tutorial and/or in-game guide, as all of that is explained (well, with the exception of why the trading goes by so quickly).

1) On a player's turn, s/he can initiate as many trades as time permits. The COMs do these very quickly, unfortunately.

2) You can't rob someone of a Soldier card - only resources (Lumber, Brick, Wool, Grain, or Ore). You can get a Soldier card by "building" a development card (which costs 1 Wool, 1 Grain, and 1 Ore). When used on your turn, the Soldier card lets you move the robber to a hex of your choice.

3) Upgrading your settlement to a city doubles your resource gain per hex. So normally you would get 1 resource per hex adjacent to your settlement, but with a city, you'd gain 2 resources per hex.

• 1 month later...

Also you can only "steal" using a robber on a later turn than when you purchase the card.

Upgrading to a city also gives you an additional victory point. Village=1 VP while Cities=2 VP

Finally if your having trouble trading with the computer when it inititates a trade offer... quickly look to see what the computer wants... and if you want to trade quickly press the SQUARE button (which sets your up to trade) and then the X button which completes the trade (either by having the computer accept your offer, decline your offer or accept an offer from a competing computer player).