The Best God of War Clone Award

leowtyx

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PlaystationMag won the best corrupted magazine of the decade award...

Did you hear about that?

This game shits on that kindergarden game you call GOW

Damn that game was so easy...

You call those puzzles?

Shit... my little sister could solve GOW3 puzzles...

And HOPE?

Are you kidding me?? Hope?? I was hoping fore something more like RAGE!!!

Castlevania did so much more for me..

Thank you.

Wasnt GoW a ripoff from DMC?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifz6I6EFrKA]YouTube - Devil May Cry 2 - Dante - Mission 01 Part 1/2[/ame]

Watch this. Then compare the gameplay.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9aN81G6BQw&feature=related]YouTube - God of War 1 Playthrough [set 3] [Part 13][/ame]

Edited by leowtyx

How amusing considering Castlevania has been around for longer than the whole God of War franchise. I really dont know what makes GoW more special than other better games.

Μan that magazine must suck major a$$. And to all GOW fanboys out there know this. Castlevania is a series that has been released years before GOW did. It was GOW that "stole" this particular style and not Castlevania.

That's why the award was given to Castlevania: Lords of Shadow alone.

PlaystationMag won the best corrupted magazine of the decade award...

Did you hear about that?

This game shits on that kindergarden game you call GOW

Damn that game was so easy...

You call those puzzles?

Shit... my little sister could solve GOW3 puzzles...

And HOPE?

Are you kidding me?? Hope?? I was hoping fore something more like RAGE!!!

Castlevania did so much more for me..

Thank you.

Hope was indeed left in the Pandora’s Box in Greek mythology.

i #$%&/ hate the fact that many publications/fanboys defend gow like is the very first action game ever made, that any other game is a clone of it, but no, castlevania was here before gow. i'm not going to say 25 years or so, i mean, those were plataform games, but the 2 first 3d castlevania were the basis for lament of innocence and then, gow arrive. just because gow is "the best" game doesn't mean every other is a clone of it. is like saying (on a rough example) Pro evolution soccer is a FIFA clone. both are soccer games, but that doesn't mean one is a clone of the other.

Few things everyone misses when having this discussion:

1. Its only Castlevania: LoS which is claimed to be a clone of GOW, not the other Castlevania games.

2. The clone comparison is brought up mainly due to the gameplay and combat mechanics along with the way boss battles are played out in both these games.

3. GOW did borrow mechanics (red orbs for power ups like in DMC, weapon based on Rygar's etc.) but they packaged it all very well with the presentation and execution done excellently which no or very few games had achieved till that time.

4. Very few games become staple icons of the genre they represent. Like DMC is an icon for being the defining action game genre even though Blood Omen / Kain series games were released earlier to it, GOW for defining the way an action/adventure game should be presented and execute, with simple combat mechanics, fluid gameplay, good story and an epic experience, Ninja Gaiden for its unforgiving difficulty and forcing you to learn the combat mechanics properly to survive along with its liquid fluid combat system and great enemy AI etc. This is the main reason why games in the same genre are compared to these iconic games.

Now keeping this in mind, I really do not see a lot of similarities between LoS and GOW other than the grab the enemy/boss and play the timed button sequence or button mashes. The primary weapon Gabriel uses in no way feels like Blades used by Kratos. The other things used in LoS like relics, secondary weapons etc. have been done in so many other games (even before GOW time). Even the giant bosses have been done in many other games (DMC/DMC3 had huge bosses even before GOW).

LoS has borrowed from a lot of games and it has done it very well, much like how Darksiders borrowed a lot of stuff from other games and packaged it well. I would rather compare these two than LoS and GOW. Both LoS and Darksiders have similar upgrades like the Gauntlet, the wings etc and then revisit old areas to use the upgrades to get other stuff etc.

LoS to me is a great game on its own (has its issues but ignorable) but is a pretty long game with lots of boss battles and exploration. I am eagerly looking forward for the DLCs.

Without the Castlevania franchise there wouldn't probably be any God of War.

Vampire killer = Blade of Chaos, Dracula "mythology" = Greek mythology etc etc.

So, Castlevania should be get the award "Best clone of a clone"-award.

Oh wait, that would be Castlevania it self.

I don't know why people are bitching about it being similar to God of War, Shadow of the Colossus and Uncharted.

I love GoW, SotC and Uncharted, believe me. But I don't see the reason to call Castlevania a rip off. Castlevania was here first, and this is the best way to get into the 3D-world of Castlevania.

It's like calling every platform game a Super Mario rip-off.

I love how everybody is so offended by this. The magazine didn't say that the entire Castlevania series was a GOW rip off. That would be ridiculous considering how long Castlevania has been around. It was simply stating that Lord of Shadows played similarly to a GOW game. As good as Lord of Shadows was it did go against everything that Castlevania game is supposed to be.

Justify this statement with details using comparison with weapon mechanics, mythological similarities, story, characters etc.

I was wondering the same thing. How come Dracula relates to Greek Gods?

And "Vampire Killer" is a whip; it didn't have anything attached to its tip. How come “Blades of Chaos” copy a whip?

Seriously? This is how Sony honors Castlevania? Fucking joke, just lost 5 respect points for Sony. Fucking amateurs.

Maybe you should vent your frustration towards the "amateur" that actually wrote the article and not the company that gave you a system to play on.