Anyone else under estimate this game?

I was immediately impressed with the graphics on this game, but a little ho-hum about the gameplay. It felt a little generic at first and I wasn't a huge fan of the short levels. I put it down for a couple of months and did't play it. I just picked it up again a few weeks ago and DAMN! This game is GREAT. I am so glad that I decided to give it another try. I think I might like this even better than SOTN. Anyone who's a Castlevania fan needs to play this game at least through the first few chapters.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was immediately impressed with the graphics on this game, but a little ho-hum about the gameplay. It felt a little generic at first and I wasn't a huge fan of the short levels. I put it down for a couple of months and did't play it. I just picked it up again a few weeks ago and DAMN! This game is GREAT. I am so glad that I decided to give it another try. I think I might like this even better than SOTN. Anyone who's a Castlevania fan needs to play this game at least through the first few chapters.

Hmmmm, I just wouldn't say that "any" fan will like LoS. It doesn't feel like the generic Castlevania to me.

i have had this game a few week and i am finding it hard to get into but if what everybody says is true and things pick up later on then i am gonna push myself to reach these great parts of the game

You're going to feel that way until the final battle. The game just doesn't compel me or anyone I know who has the game for that matter to actually want to play the game more than a couple lvls at a time.

Just can't get into this game, I don't know why, but it all feels so...done...It's like Castlevania meets Lord of the Rings, and the whole fantasy setting is just boring me.

Everything looks great, the graphics are cool, but it all feels like such a single corridor, and it's almost like it's trying too hard. I'm way over fantasy settings now (after being over used waaaay too much in the last few years), and the whole JRR Tolkien stuff is becoming outdated as we speak. This game is almost like a relic overly polished.

The combat system feels outdated too, this game could have been soo much better, if only they wouldn't try to make it so epic. The story is a bore already, and Patric Steward, a fucking great actor, seems to be sleeping as he says his lines.

there's just nothing holding me onto this game. Gonna complete it, maybe I'm wrong, and the pace will pick up soon enough, but so far, nothing.

I think I know what's wrong with it, why it's not grabbing onto me, and sucking me in, the game lacks a decent mythos to connect to the character. When I think of castlevania, I think gothic, dark, broody, pointy, edgy, you know, with fire, dramatic water and moonlit paths.....

Think of Soul Reaver, the enviroment fits the story, as does for instance more recently, Enslaved, or even Final Fantasy 13, Bioshock, etc, it all fits the story, but this game seems more detached from it's settings, almost as if they were trying the make a new Dungeons and Dragons game, and then last minute decided to make a castlevania game.

Edited by Cold Fusion

It looks like LoS is one of those games which you either absolutely love or hate. I think it's one of the better games of 2010.

Think of Soul Reaver, the enviroment fits the story, as does for instance more recently, Enslaved, or even Final Fantasy 13, Bioshock, etc, it all fits the story, but this game seems more detached from it's settings, almost as if they were trying the make a new Dungeons and Dragons game, and then last minute decided to make a castlevania game.

It's interesting how you compare it to D&D. What features would give you such an idea? I for one find that the atmosphere (thanks to the visuals and the music) fit the story perfectly.

It looks like LoS is one of those games which you either absolutely love or hate. I think it's one of the better games of 2010.

It's interesting how you compare it to D&D. What features would give you such an idea? I for one find that the atmosphere (thanks to the visuals and the music) fit the story perfectly.

Let's see, medieval-ish setting, filled with magic, quests, and searching for stones, with over the top magic armors, demon beasts of any type, and the usual D&D setting.

I usually refer to fantasy games like this, to D&D type games, the reason being that D&D was modelled on JRR tolkien's Lord of the Rings, and as a result, all have a similar way of portraying itself.

don't get me wrong, I like games with magic, fighting, and cool settings, but this game doesn't match it's setting, the place should be more gothic, more castlelike, you know, as in Castlevania :)

But who knows (those who played this game to the end more then likely), I may be wrong, and only the beginning of the game feels slow and detached.

Non the less, this type of Fantasy setting is boring me to death. I am struggling to just make it through the levels.

Let's see, medieval-ish setting, filled with magic, quests, and searching for stones, with over the top magic armors, demon beasts of any type, and the usual D&D setting.

I usually refer to fantasy games like this, to D&D type games, the reason being that D&D was modelled on JRR tolkien's Lord of the Rings, and as a result, all have a similar way of portraying itself.

don't get me wrong, I like games with magic, fighting, and cool settings, but this game doesn't match it's setting, the place should be more gothic, more castlelike, you know, as in Castlevania :)

But who knows (those who played this game to the end more then likely), I may be wrong, and only the beginning of the game feels slow and detached.

Non the less, this type of Fantasy setting is boring me to death. I am struggling to just make it through the levels.

Well, once you get to actual vampire lands, that's when it gets dark and gothic) Though I personally found the first stage - the village under siege - pretty gothic too. It had this transylvanian feel to it, which is exactly what the developers were going for, I'm sure) It just rings of Bram Stocker's Dracula: terrified hillbillies - check, stormy night - check, evil spirits - double check. That's almost exactly how the novel begins.

As for the D&D/Tolkien feel that you got - well, maybe you're right. The second and third chapters of the game do kinda remind me of magical elven forests. But I think there is a reason for that - those are Pan's lands. They are supposed to be magical. And I don't think that this is necessarily a bad thing. It's just different.

Ok, chapter 4, and the game is starting to warm up, the combo's are working better, and the addition of a few items, has made the game a bit deeper. It's a bit like prince of persia meets shadow of the collossus meets lord of the rings, but it's starting to warm up, now just hoping for some god dang vampire slaying.

Still not to keen on the D&D feel to it, lets hope there be castles nearby, with dark, dank, moody, gothic impressions.

Ok, chapter 4, and the game is starting to warm up, the combo's are working better, and the addition of a few items, has made the game a bit deeper. It's a bit like prince of persia meets shadow of the collossus meets lord of the rings, but it's starting to warm up, now just hoping for some god dang vampire slaying.

Still not to keen on the D&D feel to it, lets hope there be castles nearby, with dark, dank, moody, gothic impressions.

Just wait till chapter 5) That's when it becomes super-dark and super-angsty. Abandoned monasteries, ghoul-creeping crypts and gothic spires included.

Just wait till chapter 5) That's when it becomes super-dark and super-angsty. Abandoned monasteries, ghoul-creeping crypts and gothic spires included.

Yup, that's where I am now, and suddenly the game has invited me in. Dark, broody, gothic like places, filled with vampires and demons, that's all I want. :)

I under estimated it after playing the demo, I thought the horse riding was going to take up more of the game then it actually did.

After playing the full game I absolutely loved it...It was a LOT better than I thought it was going to be.

And the ending, even though later in the game I saw it coming, was VERY nice...

Can't wait for a sequel

Edited by PrimalCarnage

• 3 weeks later...

I really struggled with wanting to play this game, I couldn't do more then a couple of levels 'cos I got to bored and uninterested. I since haven't played for a couple of months and I think I might give it another shot, even if it's just to platinum it.

I really liked it. It was one of the best titles of 2010 in my opinion.

Initially I was dissapointed when first-looks and previews compared it to God of War but I still descided to buy it day 1 - I mean it's castlevania for crying out loud. Luckily it wasn't like GOW and I was enjoying myself very much. The athmosphere, the puzzles, the music (although I missed the old school music), the combat, the art-style and the graphics all came together smoothly making it a great experience through and through...

Too bad that Gametrailers spoiled the ending... :(

The best level designs were in the middle of the game, basically the vampire lands, although the later few levels in the necromancer levels were cool as I enjoyed the hellish scenery.

The combat plays good, hard at first until you realise you actually have to kinda know what you're doing. After playing GoW so much I just expected to spam attack and roll a few times and that would carry me through but there are quiet a few different enemies that require different strategies.

All in all a great game, better than I thought, and while some might gripe about level design or what not it is all more than an acceptable price to pay for the best story I have played this gen, my jaw almost literally hit the floor at the end.

Only major flaw, invisible walls were sometimes very annoying and especially at some of the jumps where it would only let you jump from certain points of the platform.