I don't like it.

I played the demo and got suckered into buying this game because I loved the controllers and graphics from the demo it gave me like a sort of a god of war feel to it and I love the God of War franchise.

Anyways this game fails to capture my attention since I am repeatedly bored while playing I am also playing it on the hardest level possible before Paladin is unlocked and it sucks getting easily killed and my repetitive button mashing is annoying.

This game is also choppy I'll have to press a button twice some of the time for Gabriel to even do it and he doesn't move as easily as Kratos.

One more huge dislike is the loading screens they are too frequent and I hate the fact when I die I have to select to start again like wtf can I just come back to life without being having to be asked twice?

Then I have no idea what's up with the book? Can I just go with the flow without having to level select after every stage?

I've only beat the first chapter so far and i'm halfway through the second one but it feels like a chore when I put the game in which I know we all hate.

I figure i'll have fun if I lower the difficulty and engulf myself in the story and just run along with it but I don't recommend anyone should buy this game unless your a Castlevania fan.

PS-Not a good trophies game.

I played the demo and got suckered into buying this game because I loved the controllers and graphics from the demo it gave me like a sort of a god of war feel to it and I love the God of War franchise.

Anyways this game fails to capture my attention since I am repeatedly bored while playing I am also playing it on the hardest level possible before Paladin is unlocked and it sucks getting easily killed and my repetitive button mashing is annoying.

This game is also choppy I'll have to press a button twice some of the time for Gabriel to even do it and he doesn't move as easily as Kratos.

One more huge dislike is the loading screens they are too frequent and I hate the fact when I die I have to select to start again like wtf can I just come back to life without being having to be asked twice?

Then I have no idea what's up with the book? Can I just go with the flow without having to level select after every stage?

I've only beat the first chapter so far and i'm halfway through the second one but it feels like a chore when I put the game in which I know we all hate.

I figure i'll have fun if I lower the difficulty and engulf myself in the story and just run along with it but I don't recommend anyone should buy this game unless your a Castlevania fan.

PS-Not a good trophies game.

I was never really a castlevania fan and I really loved this game. Its probably one of my most favorite games of the last year or two. And as for trophies, they were reletively easy once you learn how to play the game properly. Its not at all a button masher, you have to dogde and block a lot more than mashing attacks over and over like the GoW games. And as for the book, the story is told in a chapter by chapter format so they split the levels up by chapter/level, much like the original castlevania levels were numbered 1-1, 1-2 and so on. They were trying to capture a more old school, level by level format but also allowing you to choose when to quit more easily. Its also for returning to previous chapters/levels since this game allows you to return to earlier points with all your upgrades in order to discover more upgrades using said upgrades.

Edited by snake2410

I was never a fan of Castlevania games either and I loved this game. As stated above, this isn't a button masher. The reason you are dying so much could be because you are playing the game this way. Also, the trophies are not really hard to get. Nothing is online and all are achievable within ~30-40 hours. How is this not a good trophy game?

I did not mean to bash the game it was not my intention but you guys may possibly be right I do try and fight alot of head on and i'm still not really comfortable with the controls since I only play about an hour every two months until I realize why I stopped playing in the first place and don't touch the game for a couple more months.

It fails to capture my attention and don't get me wrong I do try and dodge and block but on my game he isn't quick to react for me for some reason.

I recently read on another post that this game has a really slow start to it and since I'm only halfway through the second chapter I'm assuming I'm still at the slow part.

Whenever I'm done working on these games I'll be sure to give my full attention to Castlevania hopefully then things will change.

I did not mean to bash the game it was not my intention but you guys may possibly be right I do try and fight alot of head on and i'm still not really comfortable with the controls since I only play about an hour every two months until I realize why I stopped playing in the first place and don't touch the game for a couple more months.

It fails to capture my attention and don't get me wrong I do try and dodge and block but on my game he isn't quick to react for me for some reason.

I recently read on another post that this game has a really slow start to it and since I'm only halfway through the second chapter I'm assuming I'm still at the slow part.

Whenever I'm done working on these games I'll be sure to give my full attention to Castlevania hopefully then things will change.

The first two to three chapters are pretty slow, it'll start picking up around the end of ch 3 and he is somewhat slow compared to other games of this type. You do need to take a more defensive mindset into it rather than offensive.

You should play the game on a easier setting. This way you will learn the mechanics and the flow of the game. All your upgrades will transfer to your next playtrough which makes the most difficult setting really easy. The game, in my opinion, is magnificent and way better than God of War 3. The story, voiceacting, graphics and ending are superb but you must give it some time to ,grow'!

The game never really picked up imo. I went through the entire game waiting for *that* moment where the game would actually get exciting. Never happened.

Same. I got all the trophies but it's such a mediocre game. Platforming is crap, camera angles are annoying, QTEs and deaths are cheap, Paladin difficulty is ultra-cheap by just making it so that everything 3-shots you. I bought God of War 3 last week and the difference is night and day. Good thing I didn't buy GOW before Castlevania, otherwise I'd never have been able to play through the game. It's a pity that such a pretty game with a good story and great voiceactors gets so boned in the gameplay department.

This game is great if you go into it with the mentality of what you will receive: a good game that borrows heavily from outside influences to achieve the previously unobtainable goal - 3D Vania mania. The story is epic, the level layouts are linear but beautiful, and the gameplay is solid. The greatest frustration in terms of control for this game is the ledge-hanging situations (i.e. beating Titans by particular times and losing by only seconds because Gabriel refuses to jump grab).

The story will become canon obviously, due to he fact that [spoiler=1] they managed to make a likeable and awesome story for Dracula.

To play off this idea will be awesome to unfold. I can understand how someone wouldn't like this game, seeing how it slowly begins and how far spread upgrades are.

This game set out to accomplish two things, develop a grandoise story and accomplish the 3D set of things. PS2 Lament of Innocence and Curse of Darkness are decent, but it wasn't until Lords of Shadow that it gripped me to the point that I played this game as thoroughly as I did Symphony of the Night (the last Castlevania I've played to utter completion).

I hope Konami continues on this trend, as I know it will succeed. If all their stories are this indepth with beautiful (non-reused) settings and solid gameplay, they've hit their mark.

I like to think of Lords of Shadow as an awesome action game loosely based on the Castlevania franchise.

It was developed in Spain by Mercury Steam, and I really think that the team did an excellent job on the game.

But I really do think it should be compared to other action game, not other Castlevania games.

If you want a great Castlevania game, you're going to have to get a DS.

I grew up with Castlevania. Have all the nintendo releases and the PS1 and PS2 ones as well. LOLz of Shadow was one of the games I didn't care to get a platinum trophy on. It's fairly easy but it's NOT Castlevania! They changed EVERYTHING!!!!! The gameplay is so-so, sometimes the camera angle... Idk, there's something so wrong with this game. It was an adjustment for most gamers when CV tried to be 3D on the N64 more so with Lament of Innocence and Curse of Darkness on PS2... but this PS3 version...... :2walls:

Sure it's not bad if you compare it to most games nowadays but yep, I still have it on my shelf and I still contemplate on playing it again... But hey, for the sake of playing a game, it's all good... kinda:think:

Edited by EtherealSkye

Would it have been a better game if it had simply been called "Lord of Shadows" and not "Castlevania: Lords of Shadow?"

Maybe. But also like Enslaved, it would be probably much less played as well.

That was the plan, you even tell that his name Gabriel "Belmont" was just taked on to make it fit. However Konami wanted sales so they added Castlevania to the title. Also Eslaved although far shorted is that the FAR superior game

Also Eslaved although far shorted is that the FAR superior game

I don't know about that. I was undecided about which one to grab at first. But when I went with money in hand only LOS was available. I was pleasantly surprised with this REBOOT(thats right so all CV fans need to deal with that, me being a fan as well) and enjoyed it thouroughly. I then eventually picked-up Enslaved and felt a little jaded as I don't think it was half the game LOS was. It was much shorter, really didn't have much story to it, combat was shallow, and I didn't feel challenged at all. There wasn't much variety in the enemies either. In LOS the enemies constantly changed or was added to the roster and the boss battles were tough. When I finished LOS and I got my plat I felt a great achievement, but my Enslaved plat just seems meh.

I loved both games but I feel Enslaved fell short on more things than LOS did. IMHO.

Let's not turn this into yet another thread about how this isn't Castlevania. It's not important.

I agree completely with the first post. I think Lords of Shadow is extremely technically accomplished, but the gameplay is achingly tedious. I have the platinum and regardless of what I've seen other people say, I've found the most effective way to play is to constantly mash square and roll away. That leaves almost your entire arsenal of 'skills' completely redundant, because more often than not, the enemies will simply hit you back mid-combo, or mid-jump.

That leaves you with mashing square and rolling ...for the duration of a 20+ hour game. Some of the scenery along the way is amazing, but nothing makes up for how incredibly repetitive the combat and platforming in this game can be.

i remember back in the early days n nights on the nes when i were a nipper, it was amazing then and looks amazing now with the graphics n sound quality at a premium yet a far cry from 20 years ago thankfully.

So what if CASTLEVANIA has been added to the title to sell copies, it does not detract from the quality of the game as many guys appear to be basing their opinions on previous instalments.

Edited by Rob Madgwick
correction

To be honest, I doubt that I would have picked it up it it hadn't had the word "Castlevania" written on the box. But since it had, it was a day1 purchase. And I don't regret it one bit.

Sure, many elements from the older games are missing (Hearts, Porkchops, Dracula and unfortunately the music) but some are there: sub-weapons, fighting all sorts of monstrosities and bosses, the overall "horror feel" to it.

Overall I really like it a lot, it was probably one of my favourite games of 2010. I also can not understand why so many people dislike it so much, sure, it has flaws and borrows heavily from other games, but in that regard it reminds my heavily of Uncharted 2: It's not about Originality but Execution and LoS executes it's elements pretty well.

• 6 months later...
I don't recommend anyone should buy this game unless your a Castlevania fan.

Of all the things that you said, this was the only thing I disagree with. I didn't enjoy it much at all. One of the biggest reasons I didn't like it was because it handled sluggishly, as you mentioned, but especially because I am a Castlevania fan. The essence of Castlevania was no where to be seen. The mood was wrong, the story screwed everything up. It just wasn't for me. I would love a good 3d Castlevania though. Perhaps something like Dark Souls, with techno rock orchestra music ala the Castlevania series.

Here I am sitting here with Castlevania - one of my first PS3 titles (got my PS3 December 2010) and I still have yet to finish it.

I'm not one to leave a game unfinished but this game, grrrr, it FAILS on many levels for me; and from what I am reading I am not the only one.

1st - Pacing, did these guys intend to make a game with the most HORRID pacing ever? Why do I not care one iota about what is going on?

2nd - Uneven as HELL, the first few Chapters are LONG, then all of a sudden a "Chapter" consists of three levels that are ONE FIGHT - ONE PUZZLE - DONE. Really? 4 "Chapters" in the Vampire Castle? First you're at the supposed entrance, then the garden, then the foyer, then the kitchen, then the balcony, then the laboratory, then the refectory REALLY? How was the Vampire Castle not one Chapter?

3rd - Combat, the combat is supposed to be nuanced right? Wrong, some of you are saying it's not a button masher. However, button mashing is what this silly combat system is reduced to and it's not even fun mashing. When are you hitting the enemy? dunno, when am I going to be prompted to "finish him" oh yeah same color as when you are hitting them. LAME

4th - Controls, want to jump to that ledge do you? Ha Ha HA - NO, you must die, then you must die again, then once more. I have encountered better jump/platforming controls on movie tie-in games.

I am slogging through this game right now (more than a year since I touched it before last night) before I put it on EBAY with a couple other games. Disappointed doesn't begin to convey my feelings about this game.

Edited by Overtkill21

"...regardless of what I've seen other people say, I've found the most effective way to play is to constantly mash square and roll away. That leaves almost your entire arsenal of 'skills' completely redundant, because more often than not, the enemies will simply hit you back mid-combo, or mid-jump..."

What TurboSquirrel had to say about combat (above) is very, very apt, if someone asks: "Is this a button masher?"