Opinions

I would say it is pretty good. It also is graphically amazing.

My only issues with it are camera/control issues that come up, but rarely.

Also, I did all the stuff for a platinum but one of the trophies bugged on me. But it sounds like that bug is very rare.

So, enjoy it! Certainly feels like an under appreciated game.:D

I have read a lot of negative feedback on the game regarding the camera and controls. But I haven't encountered any that hindered my enjoyment of the game.

I am really enjoying this game thus far (I am in Chapter V at the time of this post.) I have never had so much fun going back to replay the levels since my Super Mario days.

Patrick Stewart's voice acting is great albeit a little melodramatic at times. I like Gabriel's character and his inner turmoil and how is becoming a super powerful warrior. I do not trust Zobek however. I sense there will be a plot twist regarding him.

The combat and gameplay is fun especially when you vary your combos and utilize the two magic types. I have to work on my air combos but it seems that whenever I go into the air I get knocked down and reset my combo meter.

The graphics are really good, the enemies are varied in look but only seem to have 3 kinds of attacks (slash, unblockable slash, and ground pound) oh and there is a poison vomit from the ghouls.

This will be a challenging platinum and I look forward to playing the DLC Reverie.

I have read a lot of negative feedback on the game regarding the camera and controls. But I haven't encountered any that hindered my enjoyment of the game.

Yeah, like me, hehe. Many people say that camera in this game is horrible, which is not true imho. Maybe in few moments, but still the game is great and beautiful. I'm on second playthrough now, I'm trying to beat game on paladin difficulty. I was prepared for that, because I finished first playthrough on the hardest difficulty available. And also Final Light and final for shadow magic (I don't remember name of it) are veeery helpful. Using them during battles with bosses makes Gabriel the strongest baddas ever, hehe.

Edited by DawidekFCB

Just finished the game last night and boy was the ending awesome!

I would have to agree with spawnvader that the ledge grabbing detection was pretty bad but I didn't die because of it. It was more from jumping up from the ground to the ledge that would fail for the first time sometimes.

Other than that I was thoroughly impressed with the game. I am now going to start the Paladin/Trial completion run to get the platinum. I can't wait until the PSN comes back online so I can purchase the Reverie DLC.

• 4 weeks later...

not so much fun for me.

I feel it lacks some progression scale in the sense where it is VERY difficult to properly use the powers if you don't play perfectly. If you cannot fill the focus bar then you don't get enough orbs to refill and the game becomes way less interesting.

Bored me too quickly for me to hang in there...

EDIT: I thought I was replying to a thread about the Reverie DLC. Oops :)

The artwork and dynamic graphics effects are excellent. The music, voice acting and sound effects are also fitting and immersive. It runs at a reasonably solid frame-rate and is generally responsive to play.

Does that make it a good game? Absolutely not! It has a lot of really irritating problems and (as with the first 12 chapters) one huge flaw.

1.) Many checkpoints are poorly chosen, meaning that you'll often have to watch (or manually skip) dialog and tutorials repeatedly where you fail a section often. This happens too often to be excused.

2.) There are too many parts of the game that fall into the horrible trend of killing you repeatedly until you work out what you're expected to do. One section expects you to scramble from one perilous hand rail to another, whilst the previous rail crumbles into dust. I failed this section over a dozen times because I struggled to find the next ledge. Not fun! When the ledge then crumbles and plunges you to your doom, you have to sit through another drawn out cut-scene. Then a second cut-scene on restarting the section! Argh!

If felt a lot like these problems (1 and 2) were almost intended to pad out the duration of the DLC.

3.) The biggest problem with Lords of Shadow is that it only pretends to have deep and varied combat. You have lots of moves on paper but they're worthless in practice (particularly at the Paladin skill level). There's barely ever the opportunity to bust out an elaborate combo or an aerial attack sequence because the enemies are onto you in a second, you have no breathing room and they rarely go into hit-stun. They retaliate, even though you're mid-way through beating the living crap out of them. That leaves you with 2 modes of combat; rolling away and hitting square - and that gets very tiresome indeed. Any sections where you play as Laura (especially on Paladin difficulty) epitomize this problem. Combat in this game is horrible!

All of that said, the puzzles were superb! I'd still rate this an 80%, but it underachieves entirely on the combat front :(

Edited by TurboSquirrel

• 7 months later...