Which is the best character?

I personally have been using Johnathan. He has access to the most sub weapons and he knows Martial Arts. The downside is it takes longer to "level" him up then it would Julius due to all his sub weapons.

The best, in my opinion, is Soma. With two Valmanways equipped and 9x Minotaur souls, he's unstoppable. But this takes countless hours of farming.

I'd say to experiment around with different characters until one of them suits your playing style.

Maxed Soma is a total beast, he can beat Origins in about 3-5 minutes.

Alucard is second, a few devastating weapons.

Shanoa is probably third.

Everyone else is pretty close after that.

If you want to go for the top ranks, it's Soma or nothing.

Other than that, go with who you like.

I prefer Fuma myself, because hardly anyone uses him. And he looks awesome in 8-Bit Pink.

I'd also recommend not starting with Alucard.

Now, I'm an Alucard fangirl (I hate his voice in this btw), so I tried him first but his damage was too low. Play around with some of the other characters and come back to Alucard once you have some better equipment. :)

Yoko starts with all her spells and they do some really good damage once leveled but she has no jump kick! And hearing "Holy Lightning" over and over again could drive someone insane. xD

@Mister Zurkon, lol I think the pink Simon looks badass too

Edited by KamiAmaya

Shanoa is definitely a powerhouse, but is ridiculously reliant on boss drops. Acerbatus hits like a fully-loaded semi, and Globus clears hallways in seconds, but good luck getting them to drop.

I've been playing constantly since the game came out last week and I only JUST got a Pneuma and 2 Lapiste. Ironically they all dropped one after another.

Soma takes a long time to farm up, but once you have him built up he's unstoppable. Alucard is right behind him. Really though, all characters are good.

I like Soma. If you're a strong Soma, you can clear maps fast. If you're a weak Soma, you get a bunch of souls (and get stronger) while everyone else is rushing ahead.

Personally, though, I like Jonathan the best for his ability to pass through fire and go flying off of ledges with his martial arts. Just sucks he has a million weapons to level up, and that you have to decide if you want to wear Simon's sandals or Winged boots (easy enough decision).

• 2 months later...

I have 9x EVERY SOUL with Soma. You'd better believe it took me a long time (40 days playing every free minute I had.) The only advice I can give is that 2x Soul Eater Rings seem to work with regular enemies, but not bosses. If you run for boss souls, do it in NORM and do it with 4-6 players online. It seems to drop more that way.

Get your 2x vals, royal crown, zerk mail, 2x chaos rings, bishamon raiment, and sonic boots. Keep a spare Mana Prism after going balls out for another round of fast & furious death dealing. Best souls: Yorick and Puppet Master for travel. Fish Head, Beelzebub, R.The Count, R. Black Leopard, R.Medusa Head, Final Guard. Use these depending on the situation. You can also go the Minotaur 2x Miser route, but always keep that zerk mail on.

Or your preferred character?

So far I've been mostly using Julius but I was wondering if there are more powerful characters I should be using.

I use soma alot, but i play co op and i do more support. My friends use shanoa and charlot alot. Those two characters "level" like the whip users, but they have stronger attacks (from what i can tell)

requires time to get them stronger, but just as good (if not better) than the others.

• 4 months later...

I am currently using Julius, his omnia vanitas is excellent in some situations. I always loved whip users in Castlevania. I didn't download Richter yet because I am not sure if there is a real difference between him and Julius.

• 1 year later...

Sadly, it is Soma. He has the biggest pool for rare items compared for the other characters. Plus, once you get the Valmanways he is pretty much unstoppable. I haven't played the PS3 version, but I have everything maxed out and every item,including DLC for every character, on the Xbox 360 version. Next in line would be good ol' John morris. Probably the best whip user for damage, and has a variety of items to use. Shona is very good if you can get the Stone fists or Twin Dog scrolls. Alucard is a tad weak, but still good from the good ol' days.

I have 9x EVERY SOUL with Soma. You'd better believe it took me a long time (40 days playing every free minute I had.) The only advice I can give is that 2x Soul Eater Rings seem to work with regular enemies, but not bosses. If you run for boss souls, do it in NORM and do it with 4-6 players online. It seems to drop more that way.

Get your 2x vals, royal crown, zerk mail, 2x chaos rings, bishamon raiment, and sonic boots. Keep a spare Mana Prism after going balls out for another round of fast & furious death dealing. Best souls: Yorick and Puppet Master for travel. Fish Head, Beelzebub, R.The Count, R. Black Leopard, R.Medusa Head, Final Guard. Use these depending on the situation. You can also go the Minotaur 2x Miser route, but always keep that zerk mail on.

Soma is the most overused character in HOD. Soul Eater rings do not affect boss chests, but if it helps you - use it. Miser Rings are really nothing too big as in time it gets old after awhile. Based on popular belief, Gamefaqs believes the Luck stat means nothing in HOD. However, it actually does work. After 200+ runs on Chapter 10, for example all the rare's for Soma were mine.

Chapter 7 is a tough chapter for Miser Rings, but can easily be achieved by dedication and hard work; all it requires is testing and error. As I have told my friends before who have this game and who I have helped on here, got Miser Rings like candy. Currently, I have 9 of every item in HOD and a firm believer in Luck.

• 8 months later...
All the characters are viable if played decently. If you enjoy a character; play them.

^ +10

If I'm feel like raiding with randoms, I pick Soma. If sh*peep*p hits the fan with the same team I pick Charlotte to support.

All characters has it's up and down (excl. glitches). Just play with your fav. If you feel like testing the waters, pick (or maybe buy) a different character :)

• 2 weeks later...

The Luck stat absolutely works, don't listen to Gamefaqs. They randomly get a very rare drop without Thief Rings (usually because they play very often) and then think that means Thief Rings aren't needed. I got 2 Miser Rings in 1 day with 2 Thief Rings equipped. Getting the first Thief Ring was the problem, after I had that, the second came shortly after, and then I was getting lots of rare drops. I think the only rare drop I got without Thief Rings was Sonic Boots. The only rare drops I found after getting my Thief Rings that I don't credit to said Thief Rings (even though I was still wearing them) are the 3 pieces of Fuma gear, which I farmed one night after getting tired of not finding them through normal gameplay.

I play as Julius the most, the only rare drops I'm missing for him are Ancient Armor and Retro Helm (edit: apparently I'm also missing the A- Rings. However, I don't think I'd use either of those on Julius anyway, unlike Ancient Armor and Retro Helm). I have gotten at least 2 Retro Armors, I know I got at least 2 pieces of the Retro set in 1 day. In fact I remember booting up the PS3 that day and getting my first Retro Cloak very quickly, possibly on my first run. I attribute all of that luck due to the Thief Rings.

Update: I got an Ancient Armor yesterday after a few runs with two Thief Rings. Either Thief Rings undoubtedly work or I'm extremely lucky. I've heard of people doing 200+ runs of Chapter 7 trying to get their second Miser Ring. I just checked and I've killed Ashtarte/Astarte 130 times. I've done lots of runs after getting the Miser Rings so I'd say it took me 110 kills, not all of them with Thief Rings either. I also have 9 Astarte Souls (I was wearing 2 Soul Eater Rings by the way. It's been said they don't work on boss chests, but I'm pretty sure that's bull), Robe Decollete, multiple Royal Crowns, etc.

Soma is easily the best character, or at least the easiest to use effectively. In other words he's the most overpowered. There aren't any bad characters, at least in my opinion. Some are more annoying to build though, that is patent. Some characters excel in certain chapters but aren't as useful in others. But Soma is almost always useful, if not the most useful. I don't think there's any place on the map that one character can get to that Soma can't, Soma being able to get to many more. He's usually the resident boss killer as well, the DPS with Valmanway +1 is insane. He's a complete powerhouse.

Edited by Sylvester191