Demo / Full game impressions?

I actually kind of enjoyed the demo for some reason lol probably because I am a sucker for western genre / culture but one thing that bothered me about the demo was that it looked like a bad quality vhs movie. The whole screen during the entire demo had millions of these small dotted dots / lines that would not go away, I am wondering if that clears up if you buy the actual full version of the game.

Anyhoo, what was you're impressions from playing the demo? Plan on buying it right away or waiting for a sale / discount in the future? I am going to wait for a discount / sale from this game in the future as I am already backlogged full of games right now.

Also, to anyone that bought the full version of the game, how do you enjoy it so far? any pros / cons, etc? Length, gameplay, thoughts? share away!

Just played the demo, it's okay.

I'm not a fan of the visual style. I think it works well for the genre and I can appreciate it for that, but if you're colorblind it really sucks. Very difficult to see enemies.

I do wish Gunslinger had multiplayer. Normally I'm all for a game leaving it out, but I really enjoyed the multiplayer for Bound in Blood. I bought that game late and really regret that I was unable to play it at its peak and before all the glitchers.

The kid speaking during the story is pretty annoying just like William was, so I hope he doesn't interject too often. The rewind at the end of the demo was unexpected/weird so I hope there aren't too many instances of that as well.

It's my understanding the campaign is only 5-10 hours. Anyone have any idea how long it will take to get all the trophies? I remember it took a reasonable amount of time to get all the single player trophies in Bound in Blood and The Cartel which also increased replay value.

I figure I might wait for it to be $10 since the style is hard on my eyes, no multiplayer, no platinum trophy, and I still have several games in my backlog, but we'll see.

Edited by Vapor_N4

Ok I bought this and heres what I think after an hour or so..

+ Killing enemies is satisfying

+ It has the Call of Juarez feel in it

+ Cool little features, like dodging bullets (and it doesn't happen too often)

+ New skills to learn

- Duels are complicated, more than in Bound in Blood

- Little bit too linear, pure shooting without too much breaks

Visual style can be good or bad, little bit like Borderlands. I think it's colorful and "alive" but sometimes somewhat messy too.

I would recommend this to western fans for sure!

I actually kind of enjoyed the demo for some reason lol probably because I am a sucker for western genre / culture but one thing that bothered me about the demo was that it looked like a bad quality vhs movie. The whole screen during the entire demo had millions of these small dotted dots / lines that would not go away, I am wondering if that clears up if you buy the actual full version of the game.

Anyhoo, what was you're impressions from playing the demo? Plan on buying it right away or waiting for a sale / discount in the future? I am going to wait for a discount / sale from this game in the future as I am already backlogged full of games right now.

Also, to anyone that bought the full version of the game, how do you enjoy it so far? any pros / cons, etc? Length, gameplay, thoughts? share away!

that's the look for the whole game. it's kind of like cell-shading but more like a filter.

I'm turned off by the duels. They're stupid. How is it that I have 92% lock-on Pat Garrett and yet my draw is slower than a hungover turtle, and then I have to re-aim all over again once my kinesthetically-challenged character finally clears his gun from the holster? Really poor design, and given the True West difficulty setting, it's not fun.

The gunplay and visual style are alright. The cel-shaded graphics are the best of this series, I think. And thank God Silas doesn't have an annoying brother like Jonathon following him everywhere saying, "Thou shalt not kill!" every 2 minutes.

mbh911, that is the funniest sig ever! [seven + Xbox One specs]

"Xbox One/Xbox won! Ha ha ha, take that Sony! We at Microsoft can't beat you at quality, but we have you beat when it comes to puns. That is what REALLY matters to gamers: wordplay, not gameplay! You guys are sooo 2013. Oh wait, it IS 2013?"

Edited by poetic_justice_

Overall i like the game and think it's solid but there's a few misteps

1) The Visuals - Although great, the colors are very vibrant and sharp and sometimes i find this to be a problem when trying to differentiate enemies from the environment. If it wasn't for the damage/warning indicator i wouldn't even know where they are half the time. The fact that the game even has a warning indicator as oppose to just a damage indicator is probably a reflection of this

2) The Duels - It's a western so there should be duels but i feel like the mechanics go out of their way to make it more difficult than necessary. You're focusing on 3 things (hand over your gun, focusing on target and being aware when they draw) and two of this things require you to use very floaty controls/mechanics. They should have just made it so that all you have to do is worry about ur hand over your gun and focus on draw speed or at the very least don't make the focus reticle inverted from my normal gameplay controls

Everything else about this game is pretty much top notch. The way the narrative weaves with the gameplay is just awesome

Huge fan of the game, great story that really feels like a Juarez game and I really liked the characters.

It also does play like a story that is at some points is getting added to, but you really can't tell what parts are completely true, what parts get added to and what parts are different due to forgetting all the facts, though some parts are obvious when the story is different from what you are doing in the game.

I also loved how at points of the game things could drop out of the sky or bloom from the ground as he remembers about them, or the different versions of some of the same story three times over.

Can't think of anything I really didn't like, getting use to the dueling could be abit annoying but after figuring out you need to keep your hand right above the gun for the fastest time possible in addition to having a high focus and being able to see what direction to dodge if you needed to it wasn't so bad.

This game is a blast :applause:

Ubi should have gone the retail way: more levels & an enjoyable multiplayer (like Bound In Blood was).

But I guess they lost faith in Techland after the fiasco the last COJ was.

Anyways: Highly recommended.

@mbh911: LMAO, the best GIF I've seen so far on this topic (and there's a lot of them out there) :D

Let's hope Gunslinger sells well. I remember well when five years ago everyone moaned at WW2 shooters and welcomed a new generaion of modern military fps.

Now we have the opposite scenario: There's no more WildWest / WorldWar shooters anymore - I'd like to see some of those again.

Maybe we can get another Call Of Juarez for PS4? :)

Just beat it, and really enjoyed it. Replaying on Hard. Haven't started on arcade mode yet. The story is told like a tall tale. Over the top stuff is excused as exaggeration. It is a great game for $15. I wanted something to play over the weekend, and this was perfect. If you like old west games, you'll dig it, just don't expect something on the scale of Red Dead Redemption.

I'm turned off by the duels. They're stupid. How is it that I have 92% lock-on Pat Garrett and yet my draw is slower than a hungover turtle

The draw speed has nothing to do with the lock-on, it's two separate things. You night have missed that you must use both sticks. Overall, I cannot understand the bitching the duels receive at all, I think they're done perfectly well. Controls feel right and it's not impossible to do, but still punishs faults strictly. And if they're still too hard, you can always go ahead and win them dishonorably by drawing too early.

It's also nice they put a bit of variation into the duels, so they don't get old as there's always a little something about them making them stand out.

About the rest of the game ... It's awesome. The story is really well told and interesting with a great twist towards the end I personally didn't see coming and that makes playing again through it an additional blast because you will see certain things with a different eye, then.

Gameplay is fun and yet the game's not too easy. (Personally, I'm having a really tough time on the final level on hard mode right now, aaaaarghl!) The sound when you shoot the enemies - as if something heavy fell into the sea - and the ridiculous blood fountains make it all feel even less serious than it already isn't. Levels are varied and look nice. It's clearly not AAA budget graphics, but still well done and the cel-shading (which I'm not really a fan of outside of cartoon style) is not too strong.

Overall, if you like shooters and/or wildwest scenarios, I can only recommend this game. I'm actually surprised it "only" got to be a smaller (not thaaat small, though) PSN download game. I blame The Cartel for it.

Well, I never played any of the previous CoJ games. While I was always slightly interested to check them out, I never got to it, but I'm glad I gave this one the well deserved chance.

There's a few things I think could've been done better, but nothing important, really.