Need Duel help

kfree7

On hard level and having a hell of a time with the duels. Any advice on these duels? Supposed to just use right stick or both? The only this I've notice is to count until shooter starts then recount each time and hope the timing is exactly right. Any help?

Edit: The best I can tell you is count to 14 by going one thousand one, one thousand two, and so on. It seems around 14 or 15 it's time to shoot in the duel.

Edited by kfree7

• 2 years later...

I just listened to the music and listened out for the key (sounding bells / gong) to go for the gun, the key always sounded at the same time in the music, so it's just a case of knowing what part of the music it came in.

Also, it is good to know where your gun will aim when the bells sound, I found that it usually went to just right of centre screen and so it's best to move your character so that the enemy is in that part of the screen - as he moves one way, adjust your character to suit - you don't have to move much, just enough.

And once you are nearing the place in the music where the key is about to sound, have your hand right over the gun, draw it using R3 and fire ONLY when you see the cross hair highlight red - if you fire before then you will likely miss your opponent - and he won't miss if he gets a shot off.

I also upgraded the gun as soon as I could - on one of the early duels (I think it was 2nd or 3rd), I took the guys gun after I'd shot him, then traded up whenever I got chance - I think that guy had a rusty quickdraw so I picked it up until I could purchase or find a better one. Once I had that gun I noticed almost all the enemies would be carrying quickdraws, but you can pick them up readily from downed enemies. I bought a decent quickdraw pistol at two stars, then a three star quickdraw.

I also had a three star rifle for most of the game on Very Hard (Superb rifle) - I think I purchased it from the ammo store in chapter 8, can't remember, and a superb volcano gun - getting 3 star weapons definitely helped the game on very hard level.

(I did notice that whatever gun I was using, the enemies would have that gun too - doing the shotgun trophy, took me ages to find a shotgun (I chose to do it in the fort mission where you have to find three horses to help your brothers) - once I had one every enemy had one! haha)

On Very Hard I think I was shot only twice in the final duel showdown, and one of those because I didn't have the guy in the frame where the gun aims.

When I shot Barsby I actually got two on target shots off :D

Edited by yoda_squad