MW3 PS3 online not working

After playing the campaign on veteran and a large portion of Special Operations content, I decided to try to start online with 86% trophies complete. However, it came up with: "Server is currently unavailable at this time, please try later or go to.."

I checked my FL and saw that all my friends who were playing MW3 were on an online game or in a party, but I can't get on. Is there a fix for this?

PS: I deleted my IB history, cookies and caches, but it didn't work. Also disabled game recording, but same message came up :mad:

PPS: Also, MW2 online doesn't work, just says connecting to matchmaking servers. I haven't even played MW2 or MW3 online yet..

If your router supports it make sure you've got UPNP enabled in your PS3 internet settings. Otherwise you might have to open up ports on your router. I had to go through this crap on my old router and opening ports got it working for me.

The first time I tried, I already had UPNP (Universal Plug N Play) enabled. After the message came up twice, I exited and disabled that. Still no change. And as I stated before, I had deleted all the things in my Internet Browser, and it still happens.

Do you know if this is just poor server making since November 8th startup, or something which blocks certain networks. Oh, and if you think it's connection speed, oh, oh!, this was immediately after the last time I went on PS3 after long break!:

Before 4.1.1 Update(Too slow to finish updating)

Speed: 70-130kbps download

30-40kbps upload

After I came back from camp, which was when it changed:

Speed: 1.2MB download

650kbps upload

So I am perfectly sure it isn't speed. Even before the change, I still had good local speed (3-4 bars when local), but crappy non-local(1-2 bars and map-jumps).

I doubt the internet speed has much to do with it as i know people that play consistently with 800kb download. Id try opening the MW3 ports up on your router.

So on every router in the world, there are little tags which say MW3? :D

Please explain these ports.. :whistle:

Ill go through the whole process:

Type your routers IP address into the internet search bar (it should look something like 192.168.0.1, you can find your specific one by looking through your PS3 network settings) and press enter. You should then come to a page that is specific to your router where you may or may not have to log in. If a username and password are required try username: admin and password: 12345, password or whatever your wifi connections pass key is. Once your logged in there should be tabs on the left hand side of the page, look for anything that says open ports, port forwarding etc. Once youve found that you just type the ports MW3 uses (found on internet) into the boxes and apply the settings. You usually have to turn your router and everything on your network off for 5 minutes for the changes to take effect.

If you need more details there are videos on youtube for how to open up ports and your routers manufacturer should have a website going through the process specific to your router.

Edited by chrisheadshot

Ill go through the whole process:

Type your routers IP address into the internet search bar (it should look something like 192.168.0.1, you can find your specific one by looking through your PS3 network settings) and press enter. You should then come to a page that is specific to your router where you may or may not have to log in. If a username and password are required try username: admin and password: 12345, password or whatever your wifi connections pass key is. Once your logged in there should be tabs on the left hand side of the page, look for anything that says open ports, port forwarding etc. Once youve found that you just type the ports MW3 uses (found on internet) into the boxes and apply the settings. You usually have to turn your router and everything on your network off for 5 minutes for the changes to take effect.

If you need more details there are videos on youtube for how to open up ports and your routers manufacturer should have a website going through the process specific to your router.

Didn't work, any other suggestions?

• 3 weeks later...

I just got this problem yesterday and still haven't been able to join, i don't think its a route issue because i was playing a game and it just kicked me and that message popped up, a bunch of people that live near me can't play as well, maybe it is a region thing right now, although i had heard that people had issues connecting on xbl over the weekend, so i think they extended the 2xp.

Do you live near Toronto, Ontario, Canada? There has been issues with people not being able to connect to the MW3 servers since yesterday.

Check out this thread for more info: Call of Duty Community: Cannot CONNNECTT!!

Yeah i have checked that out, looks like there is many threads about this, so im guessing it might be an isp issue. In the past i have rarely come across this message (except when psn or iw is acutally doing maintenance) and if i do i usually reset my system, if that doesn't work then i reset my router and that fixes it.

Call of Duty Community: MW3 Servers Down?

Really weird how i can connect to psn and play other games online except mw3 and black ops.

Yeah i have checked that out, looks like there is many threads about this, so im guessing it might be an isp issue. In the past i have rarely come across this message (except when psn or iw is acutally doing maintenance) and if i do i usually reset my system, if that doesn't work then i reset my router and that fixes it.

Call of Duty Community: MW3 Servers Down?

Really weird how i can connect to psn and play other games online except mw3 and black ops.

I know, it is weird. But it tells me that it's probably a problem on Activision's end since I could get online and play some other games online. I played Need For Speed Shift 2 for a while online today and it worked just fine

Just downloaded the new 1.11 patch and now i am able to play online, im guessing they had fixed the issues. Not sure on the details for this new patch but i've read that people who got overwatch for ps3 had freezing issues.

That's weird. I downloaded that patch today too and I still couldn't get on to the servers

Here's what you can do to fix it (got it working 2 wks ago)

Go to router settings and disable/enable UPNP, then put the same option on your ps3.

Next, find your DNS settings for your wifi and input them in using the manual settings for the ps3.

Save settings and test connection. If connection works, test what didn't work.

If not, repeat the steps and double check settings.

Should then work for what you couldn't access.