Changing your Black Ops Strict/Moderate NAT Type to OPEN

So recently, I read a topic on this forum regarding issues of people having problems connecting to a friend in Zombies, not finding games etc in Black Ops. This mainly occurs because of your NAT type. You can check your NAT type in the Multiplayer menu on the bottom right.

To be honest, I had no clue how to fix my NAT. I couldn't join half of my friends in zombies. Kept getting "Session not available" messages. I found out largely thanks to k1ll1ng5pr33 who commented on one of the threads about port forwarding and provided an extremely useful link! Which is here:

Ports listed by application. - PortForward.com

You'll need to navigate "PS3 Call of Duty - Black Ops", not the PC version listed as just "Call of Duty - Black Ops". After clicking that, navigate down to your router and it's type. Then you'll come to an advertisement page. I didn't notice it was an advertisement at first and ended up downloading the software. On the top right corner of the webpage click the skip advertisement link.

After that, follow the on screen instructions. You'll need to type your internal IP address in your browser navigation bar. To find out your IP, Click Start -> Run.

Type "cmd" in the box, and in the command prompt that opens, type "ipconfig". A list of information will follow. The IP written next to "Default Gateway" is the one you must enter into your browser. After you've done that, refer back to the webpage regarding the port forwarding settings you opened. You need to know your Username and Admin password for your router to access the port forwarding settings.

At some point, you'll need to enter your PS3's IP address while configuring the settings. This can be listed as "Device IP Address", and other names. To know this, open your PS3 and go to -> Network settings -> Internet Connection Status -> IP address.

After you've done it all, Save your settings. Open up your PS3, open Black Ops, go to Multiplayer and you should have an OPEN Nat type.

Edited by DeathClock

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...