COD shouldn't be SciFi

Am I alone in thinking this? I'm not talking about zombie mode, I'm talking about the singleplayer and "main" multiplayer. I used to love COD because it felt like I was playing a part of history (W@W, and the other pre-MW1 games) and even the Modern Warfare line felt like I was playing some modern military ops that might have occurred.

But with each new game they are incorparating more and more SciFi, and I don't like it. If I wanted a futuristic I'd buy Killzone (X-boners can buy Halo too). I think this is my jumping off point, which is sad because I have every COD plat up until now.

I can only hope that they bring Medal of Honor back. Those felt very authentic to me, and despite the bad reviews, I enjoyed the hell out of them.

Am I alone in thinking this? I'm not talking about zombie mode, I'm talking about the singleplayer and "main" multiplayer. I used to love COD because it felt like I was playing a part of history (W@W, and the other pre-MW1 games) and even the Modern Warfare line felt like I was playing some modern military ops that might have occurred.

But with each new game they are incorparating more and more SciFi, and I don't like it. If I wanted a futuristic I'd buy Killzone (X-boners can buy Halo too). I think this is my jumping off point, which is sad because I have every COD plat up until now.

I can only hope that they bring Medal of Honor back. Those felt very authentic to me, and despite the bad reviews, I enjoyed the hell out of them.

I understand your point, but they really have nowhere else to go. They've made games covering the world wars, Vietnam, and modern day (even though the conflicts are fictional). Unless you want them to make Call of Duty: Civil War and stand around waiting to reload your musket, farther into the future is the only place to go for new content.

No, you are not alone. Black Ops 2 wasn't that big of a stretch because it wasn't that far out their. Ghosts also wasn't that far ahead, the story just sucked and it wasn't fun. Advanced Warfare looks like a BO2 rip-off, but I suppose we will have to see. I dunno, what do you classify as Sci-Fi? I picture lasers and spaceships, I don't think CoD will go that far. Also, CoD now has to compete with Titanfall, so that might contribute to the shift.

I'm not really a fan of the sci-fi direction the series seems to be taking either. I understand that the series is limited in how far back it can go and that it has touched upon historical wars before, but that doesn't necessarily mean the series has exhausted all the possible story or gameplay opportunities each era offers. If you only count games that somewhat replicate the current formula or standard for campaigns in COD, they've only done one WW2 game (WaW) which didn't even touch upon the western front. Vietnam was only briefly done as a backdrop to the cold war in Black Ops, and the Korean and Gulf wars haven't even been touched. There's more than enough room for a few games in there.

Cloaking, mech suits, hoverbikes and every other futuristic gimmick in between? I don't know, I guess I just prefer a game a little more grounded in reality. Black Ops 2 and Ghosts didn't really impress me but I'll wait to see a little more of Advanced Warfare before I decide whether I'll get it. I'm going to be pretty disappointed if all 3 studios wind up doing futuristic style games though.

Call of duty have nowhere else to go with it to them the future is the only way forward.

I think call of duty need to re-invent them selves and create there own world and there own timeline with there own wars and world events, they could go anywhere with it then and i think that would make the COD franchise that much more enjoyable and not so limited to our own wars and world events.

As mentioned above, COD has covered all the major wars that America has been involved in that provide enough weapon variation to be interesting FPSs. The only play to go now is the future. Although Sledgehammer games is a yet untested solo studio, They have some good people employed there. I'm looking forward to see what they can come up with.

I think it becomes a question of "What IS Call of Duty?".

To me it's about people fighting for justice, regardless of the time or place. Whether they always nail that idea is up for debate, but I think they got it right early on in general, and up to CoD:4.

If they choose to go to the future then power to them, I say. People pine for change, then it happens, and they complain about it.

What would YOU have done differently? Another WaW?

To me it's about people fighting for justice, regardless of the time or place. Whether they always nail that idea is up for debate, but I think they got it right early on in general, and up to CoD:4.

If they choose to go to the future then power to them, I say. People pine for change, then it happens, and they complain about it.

I said in my previous, another WW2 (D-Day, Market Garden, Western march to Berlin haven't been done on previous gen), WW1 (trench warfare, chemical warfare), Vietnam (fighting enemies who use gorilla tactics. Squad based, not spec ops like BO).

Or as chrisheadshot suggested, Korean War or Gulf War.

The reason why COD is so popular is because it's basically an on-rails shooter. The action rarely lets up and it's mindless fun for it.

The First World War would be pretty boring from a gameplay perspective, spending most of your time in a trench or trying to fly a shitty biplane. There's a reason why there are hardly any WWI games. It's a controversial war as well, a mindless slaughter, unlike WWII, which is seen as a 'just war'.

If we're going back through history, WWII is pretty much the only conflict worth portraying. Sci-Fi settings allow for more freedom with regards to story-telling, setting and the tools available.

Although it's not really 'that' Sci-Fi is it? You have standard weapons (machine gun, shotgun, sniper, pistol) and the like. A true Sci-Fi setting would use completely made up 'futuristic' weapons, the kind we see in Halo, Half-Life and Resistance.

I agree here.. they can't visit futuristic places just yet.. whilst it is 2014, just wait until this stuff actually comes. Some of it is so unrealistic it's ridiculous. I didn't mind black ops II , but some of that was crap too.. This isn't blade runner.. this is why the franchise is going down hill.. the thing that seperated the Halos and the CODs is the fight itself, and stories that seemed real , even though kinda movie like. W@W , MW all seemed ok to me.. but BOPS II and ghosts to an extent kinda ruined it. I mean, you have Michael Myers / Predator / a wolf as a call in feature , perks or rewards that can help you see through walls ... it kinda lost me a bit there.. put that stuff in other games that are meant to be imaginitive..

I mean look how many people play COD these days.. not many.. back in MW days (1,2 or 3) it was flooded .. W@W too.. great games, gameplay so so much better.. we stick around because we pray it's gonna beat all those games with this technology.. now they've done to these games what George Lucas did to Indiana Jones or Star Wars eps. I,II and III.

PLEASE PROVE ME WRONG COD !!!

I'd like to see W@W revisited.. so many stories that they could tell , just go to a war museum.. go to Munich for example.. see the prison camps.. (not that I want all that relived or revisited, but you know what I mean)..

A reboot of W@W would be nice.. turn the tides and let us be the enemy.. or something.. anything.. there's been some ideas in here I like the sound of.

Edited by mcewanc2

Actually.. even better yet.. have the COD team/s go chat to Steven Spiellberg for historic events and stories, have him write a story line for one of these games.. or someone with that vision / mindset and knowlege.. they have the money to entice.

Or.. Go talk to Kathryn Bigelow (director of the hurt locker)and get a story line from her... MW would benefit from her visions..

Explore these options.. send the story writers to these guys.. study their work.. how awesome could this be?

BF and medal of honor (recent ones) have a great gameplay / story and realism to them... COD used to be on par with them or ahead.. now they're behind.

I still think a visit to a war museum wouldn't hurt.. get modern or historic ideas.

Edited by mcewanc2

I tend to agree with you, but I think Treyarch is our only hope for giving us a COD now that is set in the present, or sometime in the past. I would personally love a WaW 2. All I truly ask of COD though are good maps, class variety, and good gameplay. Ghosts failed on all three accounts for me. If Advanced Warfare brings back maps with a more rectangular and symmetrical shape, with something near the center to fight over, then I will be a happy gamer.

I also hope the game's graphical style is brighter and more colorful. MW2 did this the best overall, although BOPS had some great looking maps. The maps that shipped in the main game make Ghosts look very blah.

Edited by Mann0802

Actually.. even better yet.. have the COD team/s go chat to Steven Spiellberg for historic events and stories, have him write a story line for one of these games.. or someone with that vision / mindset and knowlege.. they have the money to entice.

Or.. Go talk to Kathryn Bigelow (director of the hurt locker)and get a story line from her... MW would benefit from her visions..

Explore these options.. send the story writers to these guys.. study their work.. how awesome could this be?

BF and medal of honor (recent ones) have a great gameplay / story and realism to them... COD used to be on par with them or ahead.. now they're behind.

I still think a visit to a war museum wouldn't hurt.. get modern or historic ideas.

Battlefield 3 and 4 singleplayer story are completely nonsensical and shock full of incorrectness. Battlefield 4's larger story is fine; it's the "local" one that's complete bullshit.

Really love Medal of Honor's recent stories and CoD 4's.

Why not use actual events? There are plenty of untold stories that need telling.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I want a CoD Vietnam game. Don't say Black Ops was one because it wasn't about Vietnam. Only some missions were there because their goals were there.

I think now that COD is on a three year developer cycle, each developer should focus on a certain era (modern, futuristic, historical) rather than rehashing what was done the year before. This could potentially keep the game fresh. The last three COD have all been too similar and I've grown tired of the modern/not so distant future settings and I'll likely be skipping AW, first time since getting started on COD4, because it seems like more of the same, it's basically BOII with exosuits. If the last few COD hadn't been so similar, I'd probably be getting AW which is why I think they need to take advantage of the three year cycle.

I personally don't think I'll get back into COD unless they return to WWII or some historical conflict. I know people argue that WWII has been done to death, but how many people that play COD have played a title before COD4? A very small percentage I imagine. All people know is W@W, and many probably started after that, and that focused strictly on the Eastern Front and the Pacific. They could revisit the Western Front, Northern Africa, Italy, D-Day. Black Ops was more about a CIA Operative than Vietnam. Or visit military conflicts that didn't involve the US.

I used to prefer the Modern setting but because its been done so repeatedly lately, its grown tiresome. They really need to drop a historical title once in a while just for the sake of change.

I completely agree with the comment above. Why can't Call of Duty focus on another countries wars? Not every hero has to be American (with the exception of Captain Price and some random Corporals in WaW) and not every enemy has to be a Russian scientist!

I hate that Call of Duty is going this far into the future. Give me more of what is still to this date the best Call of Duty, World at War. Give me historical battles from an angle that I've never seen. People say that World War II has been done to death but somehow don't get worn out by the constant barrage of modern day shooters that have come about since the original Modern Warfare.

Call of Duty needs something to freshen up their brand and I hope they do it by giving us a new group of soldiers to care about, not just Americans.