Hunter Challenges and Praire Dog Courses

The three coloured things under the bar are the score markers you need for bronze, silver and gold.

The prarie dog challenges are easy. I did the first one with the rifle (took several tries) and found out in the second one that I can switch to the shotgun. Was a breeze after that and did all in the first try.

The hunter challenges are very hard (at least for me). I have the first two in gold, but I cannot even get silver on the third. Everything is running so fast and they are small to boot.

Strategy for first one: Know where the big game is and concentrate on shooting that and the target discs (you can shoot the target discs multiple times; a fast reload perk is advisable). Only go for small game when you know no big game is comming.

Second one: Big game that is very easy to hit. Multiplier gives you high scores.

As for scores in the prarie dog: Roughly 6k on first, 8k to 9k in the last three.

Hunter Challenges

Mirrior Lake - 25585

Evergreen Mountain - 65084

Camino Dorado - Can't even manage Silver on This one

Rimrock Valley - Can't even manage Silver on This one

Prairie Dog Shoot

Sonora - 13140

Milestown - 9050

Old Homestead- 7870

Lost Lake - 8280

Those are My Gold scores

Edited by Tparsons5150

• 1 month later...
Hunter Challenges

Mirrior Lake - 25585

Evergreen Mountain - 65084

Camino Dorado - Can't even manage Silver on This one

Rimrock Valley - Can't even manage Silver on This one

Prairie Dog Shoot

Sonora - 13140

Milestown - 9050

Old Homestead- 7870

Lost Lake - 8280

Those are My Gold scores

any update on if you got gold and what your scores were?

BTW if i let someone play with the 2nd controller does that hurt or help me? IE they get all the points and gold is only counted for player 1s points

It tells you how close you are to acquiring the gold medal but here's mine:

30320 - Mirror Lake

75867 - Evergreen Mountain

66358 - Camino Dorado

50260 - Rimrock Valley

I struggled with Camino Dorado and was left frustrated after many attempts. Was surprised by how fast the white big game run in Rimrock Valley but if you find the right place to stick your crosshairs then it's fairly easy.

The guide is good. Just aim for the large game animals. They are absolutely key for any region which doesn't have the archery targets.

Hope this helps. :)

• 5 months later...

I had these amounts for Gold Medals(The numbers in paranthesis are what I believe are the minimal threshold for the gold):

Mirror Lake 25837(22,500)

Evergreen Mountain 64,970(62,500)

Camino Dorado 64,472(55,000)

Rimrock Valley 51,150(45,000)

Yeah, this is one royal annoying pain in the arse to get close to these totals!

Edited by RSheb

I finished with these amounts for Gold Medals(Numbers in paranthesis are what I believe to be the threshold to be awarded the gold medal):

Mirror Lake 25,837(22,500)

Camino Dorado 62,472(55,000)

Edited by RSheb

1. I agree with everyone that has posted on this. Just keep pounding the same hunt area, essentially, memorizing where the whitetails and rams are coming from and, in most cases, there is a specific targeting location that each series of big game will cross. This way you're not wildly swinging the targeting all over the hunt area and you'll have minimal adjustment between shots.

2. Always look for the rapid fire and spread perks. There are some areas where rapid fire is the only method to hit almost all of the big game. Spread perks make the fowl-only areas much easier.

3. Always go for the whitetails and rams over birds. The big game level-up is worth well more than a shotgun fest on the birds. Only go for the birds in fowl-only areas.

4. Finally, always look closely as you're transitioning from one hunt area to another. I found that some whitetails and rams are well hidden based on their background and easily missed. On the last map, I was near the end and found 2 additional whitetails as I transitioned to the last primary shooting area. Since I had leveled them up quite a bit(see No. 3 above) each was worth 1800 points and easily helped to propel my score to gold. This is true of all of the maps, but is even more important on the final two maps.

Edited by RSheb

• 2 weeks later...

I was having issues with the 3rd and 4th hunts as well I flipped between the 2 a few times then just focused on one at a time and knocked them both off for gold targetting the big game animals 1st. It took a while to get the partern down they appear to be they same everytime.

is it me or do these controls in the challenges absolutely suck balls? i mean common man right stick to aim? L2 to change guns? - after all game u aim with left stick and L2.. i mean common.. lol bad enough these are horribly layed out challenges.. compared to the last one b4 this lol

Uh, which trophy(ies), if any, are related to these "Hunter Challenges"? I can't find anything in the guide, nor the trophy list. There is, however, an achievement for the XB360 (Hunting for Gold). o_O;

One trophy each:

Shooting Gallery you have to get gold on every challenge to unlock the trophy it look a couple of tries to complete 3 & 4. "Shooting Gallery Expert"

Prairie Dog challenge you again have to get gold in each for the trophy but they are easy just switch to the shot gun and shoot what you need to get gold. "Exterminator"

Edited by Kawabunga18

these galleries were an epic pain in the arse.. 1 & 2 Werent so bad as aposed to 3 & 4.. but i found 3 to be the worst of all.. took a whole bunch of countless goes.. 4 was easier i thought personally.. heres my scores of gold in each:

Mirror Lake : 26,299

Evergreen Mountain: 73,955

Camino Dorado: 66,672

Rimrock Valley: 55,915

Thank fawk this shiet is finally over! :applause:

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Number 3 of this huntig challenge makes the platinum impossible for me. I can't understand, how this game could be rated with a 2/10.. It's horrable.. For me its 10/10.. :(

This. The 3rd and 4th hunting challenges make this game more than a 2/10 difficulty as described in the trophy guide. Megamind? No problem. Disney Pixar's Up? No problem. Cabela's Northwest was doing fine until the last two hunting challenges, now it's no longer a 2/10.

The trophies might roll in very quickly, and rather easily; but there are a couple of them in Cabela's that can make this plat rather challenging for most folks. People who are stomping through Hannah Montana, Trivial Pursuit and NCIS be warned - there is a steeper skill set required here than similarly rated plats.

Word, -Pae

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
I finished with these amounts for Gold Medals(Numbers in paranthesis are what I believe to be the threshold to be awarded the gold medal):

Mirror Lake 25,837(22,500)

Camino Dorado 62,472(55,000)

For Rimrock, I scored 47,390 & got only silver, then scored 47,835 for gold. So it looks like the gold requirement is 47,500.

Edited by mgrantz