Ladder Jumping Tips.

TurboSquirrel

With perfect timing, it's possible to jump from the top of some ladders in Braid to gain extra height. Although this is tricky to achieve, it can save considerable amounts of time obtaining some puzzle pieces. This makes it a valuable technique during the full game speed run, for the final trophy.

At the time of writing (27th July 2010) this technique is still possible under the current version of the game. Here are some tips on how to use it;

1. Hold up/left or up/right then hit the jump button as you reach the top of a ladder.
  2. (Unconfirmed) The trick only works on ladders with platforms directly below them.
  3. (Unconfirmed) The platform must be roughly one character height or less below the point where you jump from the ladder.

To illustrate;

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AC1AijnnN_g]YouTube - Braid World Record 1/3 (29 mins)[/ame]

At 0:54. The ladder here would be ideal for jumping over the door, but sadly it looks as though the point you'd need to jump off it from, is too far above the platform (which the door is on) for the trick to work :(

At 4:22. This is a ladder jump. It saves lots of time. Notice that the ladder has a platform almost immediately below it.

At 4:52. Another ladder jump. This one is much harder and doesn't save quite so much time. Notice that the player jumps off of the ladder before reaching the top?

I discovered most of these points whilst trying to work out if it was possible to finish the speed run by completing worlds 2-5 then ladder jumping into the attic :) Better still, imagine if it were possible to complete the speed run by only finishing worlds 2, 4 and 6 and jumping between the gaps on the attic ladder? Sadly, I couldn't get this technique to work in either situation.

I hope these tips prove helpful for other players. If you have anything to add, confirm or disprove, please comment.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Sorry, I know this thread is old, but just wondering if this technique is still possible?

Also this is somewhat unrelated, but what is the player doing at

? I knew that you use the platform depicted in the puzzle to jump on, but how is he arranging the pieces without opening the puzzle screen?

edit: Okay I've just learned how to do it, so I can confirm that it is still possible.

The explanation that helped me understand was from here.

Climb up the ladder (hold up on the controller) and hit A twice at the right time. The first A will drop you off the ladder, you'll start climbing again and then jump, with the ladder climbing momentum.

I tried at the location shown at 4:22 in OP's video and got the hang of it pretty quickly. I kept rewinding to reset the puzzle piece so I could practise for a while and managed to get it twice in a row on quite a few occasions. Just now I hit it four times consecutively and I'm still trying to get more consistent at it.

My personal suggestion on how to learn it would be to first find out the perfect jump point to land on the upper platform of a ladder, meaning the earliest possible moment where jumping will land you on the top platform rather than falling down. Then, practise climbing back onto the ladder immediately after jumping. If done successfully, you should see a split-second animation where the character faces the screen between jumping off the ladder and climbing back on, and the result should be that the character is sanding on the top step of the ladder, just above the platform. Timing is key and you don't necessarily have to press the buttons (X; Up) super fast.

Now, we need to add another jump (X) onto the end of this routine just after the character grabs back onto the ladder. Other than that, it's just about the timing. Once perfected, a slight lean to the right should reach the puzzle piece. After a bit of practise it shouldn't be too difficult (I've only been doing it for about 10 minutes).

The only other thing I would say is that I found it easier with the D-pad, rather than the thumb stick.

Edited by Robaldinio

• 1 month later...