Review this Game!

Pirate

Rate out of 10  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Rate out of 10

http://www.videogamesblogger.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/braid-game-screenshot-title-xbox-360-big.jpg

Average Game Rating: 8

How to Review

1. PLEASE DON'T post a review without having played the game first!

2. Please don't post a review unless you have played a lot of hours or completed the game.

3. Only write about the multiplayer aspect in the 'Multiplayer Experience' heading.

4. Please put a description in each section & then rate it out of 10.

5. Do not review on the trophy aspect of the game.

6. Review what YOU think and don't be influenced by others.

Reviewing Game- Braid

Story:

Gameplay:

Controls:

Graphics:

Sound:

Wow Factor:

Replay Value:

Multiplayer Experience:

Rent or Buy this Game?

Your Personal Verdict and Your Final Score: PLEASE VOTE!

Please use the above as a template for your review. If you need help with anything, please refer to this thread:

How To Write A Review

*PLEASE NOTE: ALL NON-REVIEW POSTS IN THIS THREAD WILL BE DELETED*

Edited by Pirate

Story: Very touching and deep. Just full of inspiration.

Gameplay: Insanely innovative to the point that makes me wonder if it truly exists. 10

Controls: Very simplistic, nothing to complain about except if you're trying to exploit the ladder jumping boost which isn't easy to do consistantly. 10

Graphics: The artwork is absolutely beautiful. Like a modern Monet mixed with some Van Gogh. The modern part is very important, without it, it would seem artificial. 10

Sound: Again a seeming mix of old and new. It is perfectly fitting and puts you in a different place than you're probably accustomed to when gaming. 10

Wow Factor: I was blown away. At first by the subtle changes to classic games its inspired by, but then at how innovative, creative and inspired it is in much, much different ways. Its really a revelation. 10

Replay Value: Infinite, however, very short. Nothing to play all day every day, but I can see myself coming back for the experience throughout the rest of my life. 10

Rent or Buy this Game? Buy

Your Personal Verdict and Your Final Score: I give this a 10 EVEN AFTER going for and attaining the speed run trophy. That was difficult, to be certain, but unlike some games like Shatter and Resistance 2, instead of killing the game for me, I found myself looking forward to it even more. To be able to master the puzzles in such a way, after having struggled for nearly an hour the first time on some of them, is very fun. It's just an insanely unique experience that really brings me back to an earlier period of my social life, while also giving the feeling of putting me way into the future in terms of gaming, with such innovation that seems out of place with the current standards of gaming today. And you wouldn't know it by looking at a screenshot or only playing the game halfway through or even only once. 10

Story: 1/10 the only part of the game that is a let down for me, the reasons for being there are never really explained properly.

Gameplay: 10/10 probally one of the finest games I have ever has the pleasure to play a complete joy from start to finish.

Controls: 10/10 only a few buttons control the game the game very easy to learn very very difficult to master.

Graphics: 10/10 in perfect keeping with the rest of the game

Sound: 10/10 the gentle music that plays in the background is perfect and almost relaxes you while you play.

Wow Factor: 10/10 once you figure the game out you realise just how good it actually is

Replay Value: you will replay the game quiet a bit just to get good enough to get the speed run trophy and once that is got you will want to replay the game to try and beat your fastest run.

Your Personal Verdict and Your Final Score: Honestly when I first played the game I hated it as if I am honest I just didn't get the game but having now completed the speed run and played through a few times i can say this game is one of finest I have ever played from the psn. 10/10

• 1 month later...

Story: 10/10 - Simply put, the best told story in gaming, hands down. It is very convoluted and often holds information back, but the trust in the gamer to piece it together is a sign of a solid story. Also, the ending level is the most clever combination of storytelling and control mechanics I've ever seen.

Gameplay: 10/10 - Fantastic puzzles that are better then any I have any seen, honestly.

Controls: 9/10 - Near perfect, but the jumping is a little iffy, and some require precision that can be very hard to nail.

Graphics: 10/10 - This is one of the best looking games you can ever buy. While not technically impressive, the art looks so damn good you'll want to show it off to your friends.

Sound: 10/10 - I bought the entire soundtrack. It makes for magnificent zen music.

Wow Factor: 10/10 - I have never been so startled in my life as I was once I realized exactly what was going on in the last level. It literally brought tears to my eyes, and I have never ever felt that kind of emotion in a game before. That last level is genius.

Replay Value: 5/10 - Once you beat all the puzzles, you'll have little to do. However, I've replayed the game about 4-5 times just because it is so much fun, and the experience is worth it.

Multiplayer Experience: 10/10 - No, it doesn't have multiplayer, but having friends over your first playthrough and working together to solve puzzles is very, very fun.

Rent or Buy this Game? BUY IT. This is an important piece of gaming history.

Your Personal Verdict and Your Final Score: 11/10. Buy this game. I honestly consider it to be one of the greatest game ever made, and personally my favorite game ever.

Story: 10/10 To quote Peter Griffin: "It insists upon itself"... But I don't mind it at all. It's really hard to make a unique game plot revolving around something as hackneyed as rescuing a girl. But for some reason, the game handles the plot extremely well. If I had to make a list of top 5 storylines in a game, this would be 5 or 4. It's that deep, but if you find it self-indulgent and purposely ominous, I can understand that, too.

Gameplay: 10/10 For lack of a better word. The gameplay is a total mindfuck. I can only speak for myself, but without youtube, about 3 or 4 of these puzzle pieces would've kept me guessing for hours. Even seeing it done on youtube didn't really help me with a certain piece involving falling stairs. For such a short game, you really feel as if you've accomplished something finishing the game.

Controls: 8/10 Nothing wrong with them. In fact, I'm glad they didn't throw any additional controls my way. The Shadow tim and slo mo ring kept me busy enough. It's deceptively simplistic,but not revolutionary enough for me to give a 10.

Graphics: 10/10 Really unique graphics. I consider myself more of an old school gamer for my age, and graphics like this game has = the perfect balance between old school and hi-def.

Sound: 10/10 Probably not some people's cup of tea, but this is a huge aspect of this game establishing its theme. I just love the departure from "Video Game Music", the lush instrumentation of the sound track is basically a spit in the face to the blips and bleeps of the 8-bit games it was influenced by. But at the same time, the actual sound effects take you back to a time when stomping on shit was mandatory to beating a level. Like I said, not everyone's cup of tea musically, but if you take it in the game's context, it's flawless.

Wow Factor: 9/10 I think what this game benefits from is low expectations. Without factoring hype, seeing this game for the first minute or so, you think... Oh great, a platformer with a stereotypical plot.... But some of the Pieces you figure out, literally make you say things like "Whoa", "Ohhh, that's how you get it", and "Holy crap, why the hell didn't I figure this out 10 minutes ago?"

Replay Value: 6/10.... The only part of this game that isn't superb. Once you've got 100% on it, it's really up to how many other games you play, and how much you loved this game. It doesn't have that replay value that a Mario Game has, because it's short, and heavily related around plot. It's kind've like a really good horror movie, it's gone... But the replay value takes a hit, because the mystery is gone.

Multiplayer Experience: N/A

Rent or Buy this Game?: Buy it, ya cheapskate. Oh wait, you don't really have a choice, do you?

Your Personal Verdict and Your Final Score:

This game is a diamond. Not all great movies have to be enjoyed more than once or twice, and the same goes for this game. What it may lack in replay value, it more than makes up for in literally every other aspect. It's original, fun, challenging to the point of frustration, and a little bit touching. For a lifeless sprite, Tim sure is easy to like. The little mole things are so adorable, you almost feel bad killing them. The only game I know of to have puzzles and physical bosses that you have to defeat. Braid is worth every penny it's sold for. It has aspect of puzzle games and platformers, without commiting to either genre. Remember that terrible PSN game Linger In Shadows? Well unlike that hunk of stool, this game does feel like an interactive narrative rather than just a video game where you collect and destroy. Sometimes I felt a little too dumb to play the game, but I think that's excellent. The makers of this game were either geniuses, crazy, high out of their minds, or some combination of those. Not a perfect game, but certain aspects of this little bite size title will not be topped in a very long time. If this ever got remade into a full game... I don't know if i'd feel excitement or worry. The game can be that tough without help, unless you're a smarty pants when it comes to these types. Simply Put, there is a chance you might like this game, but it's beyond microscopic.

9/10 Overall