Speed Run Tips and Advice?

Yoshi_Girl

Well, I'm down to my last trophy to unlock in Braid and yep, it's the Speed Run. I expected a challenge and I got it! The problem is there are parts of the game where even rewinding time to undo a mistake doesn't help thus forcing a complete restart!

What I'm referring to specifically are instances where you are dealing with the green bubbly glowing objects (keys, platforms etc). Sometimes I make a mistake with, say, a green glowing key - it breaks and I'm unable to unlock a door or something. Rewinding time doesn't unbreak the key and I'm now stuck with the timer continuing.

Do you guys have any tips or advice on how to deal with situations like that where it seems rewinding time can't undo mistakes? It's very frustrating getting through half the game on Speed Run only to have to completely restart the entire run..

Thanks guys.

I had that time key problem in World 3, but at that time I had a time of 10 mins, I just restarted or you can go back to the door. But my advice is to go back to the door and enter it again ONLY if you have enough time. This trophy is frustrating and it took about 15 restarts to get it right.

I used these videos and they helped me A LOT. I just don't understand the ladder jump glitch.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AC1AijnnN_g]YouTube - Braid World Record 1/3 (29 mins)[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZouASeknj4&feature=related]YouTube - Braid World Record 2/3 (29 mins)[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rjmaW8BpOw&feature=related]YouTube - Braid World Record 3/3 (29 mins)[/ame]

Edited by lucas77

Can you pause the game and it doesn't add time to your run? I'd like to watch part of the video, then do it, etc and I'm hoping pausing stops the clock. Confirmation?

Pausing the game stops the clock yes. I was curious about this myself recently. Entering puzzle mode to put the pieces together also stops the clock (I believe).

Practice practice practice. That's really all I can say. Memorize as many sections as you can and always look for the most efficient way of getting the puzzle pieces. I did about five practice speed runs before I tried for the full one. In these practice runs, I did as much as I could from memory and looked up youtube videos for the ones I didn't remember. By the time I started the full speed run, I had the game basically memorized. You don't have to be perfect. I had a few slip ups in my speed run that came in under 45 minutes. Just remember to stay calm and not to panic.

Practice practice practice. That's really all I can say. Memorize as many sections as you can and always look for the most efficient way of getting the puzzle pieces. I did about five practice speed runs before I tried for the full one. In these practice runs, I did as much as I could from memory and looked up youtube videos for the ones I didn't remember. By the time I started the full speed run, I had the game basically memorized. You don't have to be perfect. I had a few slip ups in my speed run that came in under 45 minutes. Just remember to stay calm and not to panic.

Thanks for the tips Olsen. Practice is definately what's needed for this trophy. I'm doing some practice runs tomorrow after watching the videos. I have about half of the run memorized but the last half is the hardest, lol.

EDIT: @ 4:22 on World 1/3 video, does anyone know how he's jumping directly off the top of the ladder to get the puzzle piece? This must be some sort of advanced technique but it's saving a ridiculous amount of time by doing it this way. He does it in other areas too - straight off the top of the ladder. I've tried many times but can't seem to get the hang of it.

Advice appreciated! Thanks.

Edited by Yoshi_Girl

Well, as people says, just keep trying and memoize everything :p

I just got my Full Speed Run trophy few minutes ago. Took me lots of tries. I was almost going to throw the controller lol. In the last one, I though I wasnt going to make it because I entered the epilogue with like less than 1 minute left and when I finally entered last door my time was 44:35.65 :D

Thanks for the tips Olsen. Practice is definately what's needed for this trophy. I'm doing some practice runs tomorrow after watching the videos. I have about half of the run memorized but the last half is the hardest, lol.

EDIT: @ 4:22 on World 1/3 video, does anyone know how he's jumping directly off the top of the ladder to get the puzzle piece? This must be some sort of advanced technique but it's saving a ridiculous amount of time by doing it this way. He does it in other areas too - straight off the top of the ladder. I've tried many times but can't seem to get the hang of it.

Advice appreciated! Thanks.

The ladder jump is handy in a couple of places but takes a little practice. You have to start to climb the ladder from the top platform (the one the ladder ends at). Once you have started to climb and before you reach the top press jump. If you time it just right you will do a higher jump.

The ladder jump is handy in a couple of places but takes a little practice. You have to start to climb the ladder from the top platform (the one the ladder ends at). Once you have started to climb and before you reach the top press jump. If you time it just right you will do a higher jump.

Thank you for responding. I've give this technique a shot soon. It definately seems like it takes precision to execute. :think:

its not too bad and you can make several attempts in trying to achieve the height and its still quicker than getting the piece the normal way.

I'm still trying for speed run myself. 3 attempts and i'm down to 52 mins.

Does anyone know what times I should be aiming for to reach the flag at the end of the world. Not interested in beating any records anything under 45 mins is good enough for me.

When you are doing the speed run, do you need to collect every puzzle peice and solve the jigsaw puzzles or can you just go through to the end of the levels?

I ask because I made it through the 1st level (just got the game yesterday) without all the puzzle peices and it allowed me to go to the next level. I went back and got them all though. Anyways, can it be done that way?

When you are doing the speed run, do you need to collect every puzzle peice and solve the jigsaw puzzles or can you just go through to the end of the levels?

I ask because I made it through the 1st level (just got the game yesterday) without all the puzzle peices and it allowed me to go to the next level. I went back and got them all though. Anyways, can it be done that way?

Yes, you have to collect all puzzle pieces and you have to put them together during the Speed Run. If you don't collect all pieces (and solve them), you'll not be able to go to the last level and finish the game.

Edited by lucas77

Yes, you have to collect all puzzle pieces and you have to put them together during the Speed Run. If you don't collect all pieces (and solve them), you'll not be able to go to the last level and finish the game.

Hey, thanks for the info. Sounds like I might have found out the answer myself by finishing my 1st playthrough. Lazy me :p

I'm going to be attempting this soon and have another question: the speed run doesn't require obtaining all the hidden stars, does it? It is just get every puzzle piece to unlock the ending?

Also: Can someone confirm that the ladder jump was not patched in the PSN update? I can't seem to get it proper but if I knew someone else is able to, I'd be more confident about putting the time in to figure out how it is done. As opposed to right now where I'm not exactly sure it is even still possible.

Thanks for the reply magmar! That makes this sound a bit more feasible. I'm assuming the videos lucas77 posted don't contain the stars then (since it would be time wasted)?

Are there any speed run videos that a) don't have the stars, b) are less than 45 minutes and c) only use regular gameplay mechanics? (e.g. no weird stair jumps, etc). I'm not looking to break any world records or anything - I just want to get the trophy, so any video that is easy to watch and replicate would be a huge help!

the video of the guy doing it in 29 mins posted by lucas77 includes stair jumps but is the best to watch. Stair jumps only save you a little time so the rest of the video is still valid and will get you in under 45 mins. Took me 5 attempts - 70mins, 61mins, 52mins, 46mins and finally 42:02. The first attempt i didn't use any videos but after watching this video the approach to each piece helped me complete well within the allowed time.

Thanks for the reply magmar! That makes this sound a bit more feasible. I'm assuming the videos lucas77 posted don't contain the stars then (since it would be time wasted)?

Are there any speed run videos that a) don't have the stars, b) are less than 45 minutes and c) only use regular gameplay mechanics? (e.g. no weird stair jumps, etc). I'm not looking to break any world records or anything - I just want to get the trophy, so any video that is easy to watch and replicate would be a huge help!

Well, the speed run videos on the trophy guide should help you. I just used the 29 mins one because he used faster ways to beat a level. But I didn't do the ladder jump because I couldn't do it so I just did it the normal way.

Edited by lucas77