one of the worst PSN game ever

VANDRO

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really, really hope you don't prefer UNO, topatoi, Trash Panic or Noby Noby Boy over this beauty of a game.

This game is really great for puzzle fans like me,

it's weird in the beginning but once you get the hang of it it's extremely addictive :)

edit: that part you got right, should be under PSN Puzzle

Edited by magmar126

I enjoyed Trine far more, as well. I personally don't understand all the praise Braid got, to be honest with you. The art style, music and puzzles were great, and if the first two worlds were like the entire game, and it had a coherent story, I could see this game deserving of its praise. But the time mechanic, while cool, didn't work for the best sometimes, some puzzles demanded that you knew how the game played without any tutorial or instruction and the story was muddled, even if you were supposed to "interpret" it.

Meanwhile, at $5 more, Trine easily had quadruple the content, if not more, along with an even better soundtrack, beautiful graphics, more levels, reasons to play again and a fairly deep combat system to boot. I also particularly enjoyed the storytelling aspect, multiple characters to play as and challenging trophy set.

This game is far from the worst the PSN has to offer, although it certainly is the most overpriced let down currently available.

I enjoyed Trine far more, as well. I personally don't understand all the praise Braid got, to be honest with you. The art style, music and puzzles were great, and if the first two worlds were like the entire game, and it had a coherent story, I could see this game deserving of its praise. But the time mechanic, while cool, didn't work for the best sometimes, some puzzles demanded that you knew how the game played without any tutorial or instruction and the story was muddled, even if you were supposed to "interpret" it.

Meanwhile, at $5 more, Trine easily had quadruple the content, if not more, along with an even better soundtrack, beautiful graphics, more levels, reasons to play again and a fairly deep combat system to boot. I also particularly enjoyed the storytelling aspect, multiple characters to play as and challenging trophy set.

This game is far from the worst the PSN has to offer, although it certainly is the most overpriced let down currently available.

^^^now that's what I call an honest review... I got an idea of how the general "puzzle-themed" gameplay of Braid would be after watching a vid... I can tell this would wear thin after a while...

& I know that my decision to purchase a game shouldn't hinge on graphics alone.... but this game has some seriously outdated graphics..... the only game that looks worse than this is probly Crystal Defenders.....

maybe it's over-exposure to the hi-def era of gaming, but I can't bring myself to pay $15 for a 2D side-scroller with that graphical level.... $10 maybe, but any more than that seems like a rip-off...

Yeah, it looks overpriced for $15. Wondering, for those who played the game, what do you think the game should be sold for? For example, do you think if it was on sale for $10, then it would be good value?!? Or $7.50? Please only respond if you have played the game...

I think its worth $7.50. But its kind of messed up bc that grabge game "Switchball" is priced at $9.99 and this game is much better than "Switchball".

Yeah, it looks overpriced for $15. Wondering, for those who played the game, what do you think the game should be sold for? For example, do you think if it was on sale for $10, then it would be good value?!? Or $7.50? Please only respond if you have played the game...

I'd say $8.99, at most $9.99, but the full $14.99 is far overpriced for a game that asks you to complete a Speed Run of the entire thing in less than 45 minutes.

Critter Crunch lasted me three times as long as this game, and I still play it, and that was only $4.99. Or, Trine, although its marketed as a full game, is only $5 more.

I will preface this post by saying that I have NOT played this game and was looking through this post to see whether or not it was worth playing (as well as looking at a walkthrough of a level on YouTube).

Ultimately, it seems like if you are the kind of person who enjoys puzzle games than you would enjoy this game. If not, than you probably wouldn't.

As for the rest of the posts it seems like the game has a unique concept with the time bending, however, it is a major throwback to Super Mario Bros. and I am assuming the ending of the level is meant to be a spoof (otherwise that is horribly unoriginal)

As far as the price point, that will probably be the main reason I won't be buying this game. The game seems like an interesting concept, but it looks like it was made with a super low budget so I can't see the reason it costs 50% more than most other games on PSN. Granted this is my OPINION and I am sure others will disagree.

Flame on... =p

You're right. It's a great game, but it's a complete rip off at that price.

It was 800 points on the 360 which I think makes it about £7 and the guy who made it said he wanted to sell it for less than that. It's gonna cost £10 in the UK probably which is a bit of an outrage. It should cost the same as Shatter.

Oh, and of course the end of level bit is a joke!:p

While I agree that the $15 is a bit much, it's really par for the course in the way PSN over-prices things. I would be impressed and happy with this one if it were $10.

Personally, I have to ask the folks who say the mechanics of the game wears thin; do you find the mechanics of a sudoku game wears thin as well? I ask because it's a puzzle game. You're supposed to use/manipulate the basic rules in different ways depending on the puzzle presented. Obviously this style of game is not for everyone. If you don't like games such as Echochrome, you probably won't like Braid. It's too bad that wasn't well communicated to the consumers, but I don't think a failure in marketing should take away from the actual game's rating. (though I am sorry for the people expecting an action game)

The graphics weren't as nice as I'd expected, considering how much PSN was promoting that, but I still enjoyed them for the difference in comparison to the regular fare. Some of the music (such as the lullaby) didn't really do it for me, but some of it such as that in world 1 made me want to write PSN and ask them to release that song as DLC. Again, that's a taste thing - it's likely not going to please the Brutal Legend fans.

I enjoy Trine and Braid for two completely different reasons. Trine is a beautiful game, but you can't say that being observant and building box towers to reach experience bottles is really challenging your thought processes. Braid isn't exciting like shooting flame-throwing skeletons, but the sense of accomplishment when I finally figured out how to get that frigging puzzle piece is a different type of pleasure. I'm not even sure why the comparison is being made. Next we'll be talking about Demon's Souls vs. Flower

My point being, for sure this game a little over-hyped. I still think it's a good game (quirky nods to NES and all) and am glad I bought it. (It also gets points as it is one of the only PS3 games my girlfriend will actually play hands-on)

I think that the price is fine, it's a game you're supposed to experience, not play. All the reviews mention this, so if this sort of thing isn't your cup of tea, you might want to think twice about buying it.

The thing about Braid is that it's so polished, and the time mechanic works so well, that it can be enjoyed if you're not into the whole artsy experience thing. If you're on the fence about a $15 game and aren't really a fan of the "games as art" scene, it might be on sale eventually (it's been $4.99 on Steam a couple of times), so you can hold off until then.

Edited by acerazer1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't really understand why people hate that game so much

For sure, it's not FIFA or FPS, and all the trophies are not that easy to catch...but for once, even on that website, let's talk gameplay and GAME, not trophy or shooting or whatever...

I've been playing videogames for more than 25 years, and BRAID is one of those games that bring something new to the world of gaming : it does not happen everyday. So ok we can talk about the price, but that's not so important. 5 $ cheaper, or not... whatever, that game brings something new, for me that's very important. I guess that people that hate BRAID can go back to their FPS and their billions of copies of it... (I like stupid games and FPS too, but from time to time it's good to see something new, original and risky)