And They'll Tell Two Friends (post server shutdown) NOT a Boosting thread

Clawplach32

Greetings fellow trophy hunters! Just today I acquired both Borderlands GOTY editions and it appears yesterday was the final day before servers shut down; what luck! I am familiar with the viral trophy and look forward to playing both games again to completion. My question is this: is the topic-titled trophy linked to a save file or a PSN ID?

Edited by ShadowAFC

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Greetings fellow trophy hunters! Just today I acquired both Borderlands GOTY editions and it appears yesterday was the final day before servers shut down; what luck! I am familiar with the viral trophy and look forward to playing both games again to completion. My question is this: is the topic-titled trophy linked to a save file or a PSN ID?

Game sharing is not allowed here

But LAN method works as long as the person as the trophy.

Edited by ShadowAFC

My mistake. I am aware of the method, but that requires knowing somebody (local) with the trophy, which I don't.

Unrelated to the original post, but was looking to play co-op and the game freezes on the load screen after selecting characters under split screen mode.

Edited by Xander45
please use the edit/multi quote function instead of double posting

Ah, thank you very much. This guy's a problem solver! :)

Tried both of those, the game still freezes when the first half of the vault symbol appears. Hoping it's not my disc...bought the game new, but these things happen.

Edited by BreadSkin

Tried both of those, the game still freezes when the first half of the vault symbol appears. Hoping it's not my disc...bought the game new, but these things happen.

It's probably the disc. Bought the game new, perhaps, but it is a 5 year old game. Who knows how long it's been circulated before it got to you.

It's probably the disc. Bought the game new, perhaps, but it is a 5 year old game. Who knows how long it's been circulated before it got to you.

This^

I tried out my own advice earlier and everything worked perfectly so it sounds like you have a dodgy disc :(. Try cleaning it with a microfibre cloth before you try for a replacement as it could have some smudges or dirt on it.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes you do as you need 2 PS3s in the same room or Building for it to work:

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/39/38.jpgAnd They'll Tell Two Friends (S)

Played in a co-op game with either an employee of Gearbox or someone who had this trophy

WARNING: Do not delete your saves as the trophy is tied to at least one of them and not your PSN ID (credit to MsFuruba and stgermain for this info).

Even when the servers are gone, you will still be able to get this trophy using the LAN method below but you must play with someone that got the trophy before the shutdown. Since the Stackable release is less common, it will be that much harder to find someone to setup a LAN with so beware. This trick may mean that this trophy could be considered as an offline one since you don't have to be signed into PSN to use a LAN. Whichever release you have, the trophy will pop during the load screen if you're joining someone or if someone joins you then it will pop moments before they spawn.

After you click LAN, you have 3 choices:

Join Game

Host Public Game (I know it says public but I'm sure the LAN match should have a certain range) (it found nothing when I clicked Join Game)

Select Character (You will default to a level 1 character, if you don't use this) (If the host starts will level 1 char, you will also start the game at beginning)

If you click Join Game it will search and find nothing. After it has tried 1 time it will stay on that screen and give you the option to Host Public Game, you can also back up to the previous menu. You can also press :square: to Refresh List.

Player 1 (bcks007) picked Host Public Game. It brought me to the same exact screen as online mode, where you can jump into your game, i guess before the other person is ready or just wait there.(I waited there)

Player 2 (snowballtheninja) selected Join Game It found bcks007 in about 1-3 seconds, very fast. Trophy popped in the waiting room. I didn't even need to go into the level to earn it.

Credit to bcks007 and snowballtheninja for discovering this.

Note: The description has a typo in it. i.e it says "Played in a co-op game with either an employee of Gearbox or someone who had this trophy", it should say "has".

• 1 month later...

So there's no way to achieve this trophy split-screen? Has anyone tried it that way?

I'm asking because I've just had a look on the xboxachievements site and the guide description there states:

"You can do this on splitscreen, system link, or over Xbox-Live, as long as your partner has the achievement already. This is a viral achievement, so either search for an online game, or play with someone you know has it."

So there's no way to achieve this trophy split-screen? Has anyone tried it that way?

I'm asking because I've just had a look on the xboxachievements site and the guide description there states:

"You can do this on splitscreen, system link, or over Xbox-Live, as long as your partner has the achievement already. This is a viral achievement, so either search for an online game, or play with someone you know has it."

I've not got the 360 version so can't confirm it for myself but I have been informed by several extremely reliable sources that you cannot get the viral trophy in splitscreen on PS3. There are a lot of things you can do on the 360 that you can't do on the PS3, with splitscreen trophy earning being one of them.

Unfortunately unless you can get a LAN game going with someone that has this trophy, the (P) is completely unobtainable for the majority of people :(.

I've not got the 360 version so can't confirm it for myself but I have been informed by several extremely reliable sources that you cannot get the viral trophy in splitscreen on PS3. There are a lot of things you can do on the 360 that you can't do on the PS3, with splitscreen trophy earning being one of them.

Unfortunately unless you can get a LAN game going with someone that has this trophy, the (P) is completely unobtainable for the majority of people :(.

That sucks. :(

That means I'll have to find a willing person in my area (which I have no idea how to do), or a very cheap used PS3 if I want the trophy. Both will be tough.

You can only pop the Viral trophy in LAN mode if you play with someone that got it prior to the shutdown :(:

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/39/38.jpgAnd They'll Tell Two Friends (S)

Played in a co-op game with either an employee of Gearbox or someone who had this trophy

WARNING: Do not delete your saves as the trophy is tied to at least one of them and not your PSN ID (credit to MsFuruba and stgermain for this info).

Even when the servers are gone, you will still be able to get this trophy using the LAN method below but you must play with someone that got the trophy before the shutdown. Since the Stackable release is less common, it will be that much harder to find someone to setup a LAN with so beware. This trick may mean that this trophy could be considered as an offline one since you don't have to be signed into PSN to use a LAN. Whichever release you have, the trophy will pop during the load screen if you're joining someone or if someone joins you then it will pop moments before they spawn.

After you click LAN, you have 3 choices:

Join Game

Host Public Game (I know it says public but I'm sure the LAN match should have a certain range) (it found nothing when I clicked Join Game)

Select Character (You will default to a level 1 character, if you don't use this) (If the host starts will level 1 char, you will also start the game at beginning)

If you click Join Game it will search and find nothing. After it has tried 1 time it will stay on that screen and give you the option to Host Public Game, you can also back up to the previous menu. You can also press :square: to Refresh List.

Player 1 (bcks007) picked Host Public Game. It brought me to the same exact screen as online mode, where you can jump into your game, i guess before the other person is ready or just wait there.(I waited there)

Player 2 (snowballtheninja) selected Join Game It found bcks007 in about 1-3 seconds, very fast. Trophy popped in the waiting room. I didn't even need to go into the level to earn it.

Credit to bcks007 and snowballtheninja for discovering this.

Note: The description has a typo in it. i.e it says "Played in a co-op game with either an employee of Gearbox or someone who had this trophy", it should say "has".

• 2 weeks later...
Wouldn't XLink Kai (XLink Kai: Evolution VII. Global Network Gaming.) work as an alternative to the closed servers? It's a tunneling software for connecting LANs (for gaming consoles only) over the internet. I've installed it and it tells me that the connection is OK but I can't find anyone playing Borderlands so I don't know for sure yet.

I have no idea, I don't even know if it's legal as it's something of a grey area :(.

I have no idea, I don't even know if it's legal as it's something of a grey area :(.

I can't see why it wouldn't be legal. Using XLink is just a way to connect your own LAN to others and then play Borderlands in LAN mode.

For example, ignoring the "small problems" involved, say that 2 people in different parts of the world would use extremely long network cables to connect their PS3s to the same router and play a LAN game. That would without doubt be legal, right? Using XLink is just an alternative to these long cables and instead use available infrastructure to create the same kind of connection.

I'm still not sure if it works though, as I can't find any Borderlands players. Anyone interested in testing this?

I'm not very knowledgeable about LAN, but it can work with wireless right? I know my brother has 5-6 Borderlands saves on a flash drive and one of them has to be the one he got the trophy with, but the logistics of my house aren't very kind for setting up multiple PS3s in wired range of my router.

I'm not very knowledgeable about LAN, but it can work with wireless right? I know my brother has 5-6 Borderlands saves on a flash drive and one of them has to be the one he got the trophy with, but the logistics of my house aren't very kind for setting up multiple PS3s in wired range of my router.

I've been told that will work, though I've never tried it personally.

• 3 weeks later...
Okay, I still have the saves so I should be able to get it to work. Thanks for the info

Could you help me to test if we can manage to play lan using xlink kai??

If we manage to do it..it will easy our lives passing the trophie to other people...

I hope you can..