Servers closed July 16th 2014 (restored globally April 11th 2015).

djhmetfan2

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got the GOTY back in summer 2013 and loved it so I wanna confirm, is the (P) still totally possible post-shutdown? And if so, how much more difficult will it be? I know someone who's up for playing co-op anytime, so is there anything you'd recommend us knocking out? :) Thanks for anyone's help.

Ask and you shall receive :):

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/39/38.jpgAnd They'll Tell Two Friends (S)

Played in a co-op game with either an employee of Gearbox or someone who had this trophy

WARNING: Do not delete your saves as the trophy is tied to at least one of them and not your PSN ID (credit to MsFuruba and stgermain for this info).

Even when the servers are gone, you will still be able to get this trophy using the LAN method below but you must play with someone that got the trophy before the shutdown. Since the Stackable release is less common, it will be that much harder to find someone to setup a LAN with so beware. This trick may mean that this trophy could be considered as an offline one since you don't have to be signed into PSN to use a LAN. Whichever release you have, the trophy will pop during the load screen if you're joining someone or if someone joins you then it will pop moments before they spawn.

After you click LAN, you have 3 choices:

Join Game

Host Public Game (I know it says public but I'm sure the LAN match should have a certain range) (it found nothing when I clicked Join Game)

Select Character (You will default to a level 1 character, if you don't use this) (If the host starts will level 1 char, you will also start the game at beginning)

If you click Join Game it will search and find nothing. After it has tried 1 time it will stay on that screen and give you the option to Host Public Game, you can also back up to the previous menu. You can also press :square: to Refresh List.

Player 1 (bcks007) picked Host Public Game. It brought me to the same exact screen as online mode, where you can jump into your game, i guess before the other person is ready or just wait there.(I waited there)

Player 2 (snowballtheninja) selected Join Game It found bcks007 in about 1-3 seconds, very fast. Trophy popped in the waiting room. I didn't even need to go into the level to earn it.

Credit to bcks007 and snowballtheninja for discovering this.

The alternative to the above is xLink Kai, see here for more info: LINK We don't fully recommend this method because it's fiddly to setup, the program itself is unreliable and requires a certain level of networking knowledge so stick to the other LAN method as it's far simpler to setup and is guaranteed to work.

Note: The description has a typo in it. i.e it says "Played in a co-op game with either an employee of Gearbox or someone who had this trophy", it should say "has".

Edited by Terminator
Update.

*2K says it is currently looking into the "technical feasibility" of transitioning Borderlands (PS3) and Civilization Revolution (PS3) to another network. But that's all we know right now. Of course, you'll still be able to play all of these games offline.

Possibly might be up again after, but I wouldn't hold out for Borderlands.

I got the GOTY back in summer 2013 and loved it so I wanna confirm, is the (P) still totally possible post-shutdown? And if so, how much more difficult will it be? I know someone who's up for playing co-op anytime, so is there anything you'd recommend us knocking out? :) Thanks for anyone's help.

As long as your get the viral trophy you can do all the co op stuff offline with two controllers, then then the rest solo. ^See Terminator's post above mine. :p

I better get on it and get the viral trophy from someone. :francis:

Edited by Gage

Ask and you shall receive :):

Possibly might be up again after, but I wouldn't hold out for Borderlands.

As long as your get the viral trophy you can do all the co op stuff offline with two controllers, then then the rest solo. ^See Terminator's post above mine. :p

I better get on it and get the viral trophy from someone. :francis:

Thank you Terminator for the method and thank you both for your responses! I appreciate it :)

Regarding the actual topic at hand, though... isn't it weird that a still massively played game like Borderlands is shutting down? Seems like a waste of potential online play...

Edited by Fubzy

Regarding the actual topic at hand, though... isn't it weird that a still massively played game like Borderlands is shutting down? Seems like a waste of potential online play...

Well at last check it's not 100% confirmed that the servers will be shutting down. 2K have announced they're transitioning the servers for the game on PC, so it's possible they might transition the console servers as well. Although I wouldn't really count on it, it's just a (somewhat) distant possibility.

I have to admit to being very upset that Borderlands may not be saved, it's the 2nd most successful game 2k has ever published so discarding it like this is not cool :(. Alright so the online was wonky as hell but it was fun when it did actually work, that is if you could avoid the hackers.

I have a question regarding the shutdown. I'm a bit low on time but would definitely like to get the platinum, but when it comes down to co-op games I mostly play with friends online, not via splitscreen. When the servers go down I guess I won't be able to anymore?

Also what about DLC? How will the shutdown affect its trophies? Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok I don't know where else to post this but has anybody from the UK got this and willing to sell before the server closure? I'd try importing it from Japan but I'm worried about the time it will take to turn up and then the inevitable delay in customs.

I meant to buy it sooner but have only just discovered that the servers are closing and as it is one of my favourite games I'd like to show my love for the game by platting the stackable Japanese GOTY version.

Sorry in advance mods if this is in the wrong thread, I didn't want to make a new one and figured a lot of people would be viewing this particular thread.

Ok I don't know where else to post this but has anybody from the UK got this and willing to sell before the server closure? I'd try importing it from Japan but I'm worried about the time it will take to turn up and then the inevitable delay in customs.

I meant to buy it sooner but have only just discovered that the servers are closing and as it is one of my favourite games I'd like to show my love for the game by platting the stackable Japanese GOTY version.

Sorry in advance mods if this is in the wrong thread, I didn't want to make a new one and figured a lot of people would be viewing this particular thread.

Your best bet is Ebay or keep an eye on the Bargain Bin.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
They haven't closed yet but there is some speculation that they will close tomorrow when PSN goes down for maintenance.

I put my last copy out on eBay, but if anyone needs the friend trophy for the Japan version I will be able to help them during the AM hours (GMT-8) of 6/5 if the servers are still up.

PM me on this site and I will help you out......again if the servers are still up..

I have the GOTY edition. If its still possible to get the "And they'll tell two friends" trophy please help me out before servers do completely go out.

PSN ID: IRAbrawler

Mic: Yes

Availability: I'll be constantly checking my ps3 so I can add and quickly get this trophy. thanks