Books

To me, when I was younger (in high school and lower), books were a waste of time because in my eyes books had no action. Movies, TV, video games all had action. Books do not. Most of the books I read (or didn't read) in high school were very boring and that skewed my view on it.

However, one book that I did love in class was a book that I chose out of 4 books in total (everyone in the class got to choose one of them) had in its first chapter the main character who was essentially just a child in kindergarten kicking the shit out of some other kid. That caught my attention. Books need to have a great first chapter or usually it's all down hill.

That book, by the way, was Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card. His other books that follow this book are just not very good but this book was amazing in my eyes.

Though sometimes the first chapter can't be what the book is about. For instance, I started reading the Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind and his first book, Wizard's First Rule, was so fucking slow for the first... 10 or so chapters but it got amazing. Seriously amazing. I'm glad I stuck with it and read the rest of the book (currently am reading book 5).

people don't read. it is annoying. i look around at a thousand morons every day and think sometimes that the world could be so much better if everyone just read a little bit. seriously, it's amazing how reading a book every once in a while can improve so many things about a person.

anyway, i don't really know what to do about it. but keep reading. it's one of those things you can indulge in, and even if you can't notice, it makes you a better person.

• 8 months later...

Because too many chuckleheads associate reading with the dreaded "s" word. You know - school. You don't know how many times over the course of my nearly 40 years on this planet I have heard someone utter "why would you read if you don't have to?" or "I haven't read a book since I got out of school". It is really a shame and I am ashamed that I do not read nearly as much as I did in my youth.

• 2 weeks later...
Because too many chuckleheads associate reading with the dreaded "s" word. You know - school. You don't know how many times over the course of my nearly 40 years on this planet I have heard someone utter "why would you read if you don't have to?" or "I haven't read a book since I got out of school". It is really a shame and I am ashamed that I do not read nearly as much as I did in my youth.

I know, its unfortunate. These people are missing out on such good stuff...

• 7 months later...

You shouldn't worry about the opinion of the uneducated masses. I'm not saying most people are stupid, just that they don't apply themselves. It's sad, really... If people just read more they would understand more and the world would be a much, much better place. As cliche as it sounds, it's true. Reading is the best way to learn, and learning is the best way to better oneself.

I work at a school, and the other teachers here treat reading with scorn, something to be done by their parents and the socially incapable.

Personally, I love reading. I have to read before I go to sleep at night - love me my sci-fi, working through Reynolds and Banks at the moment, with a (almost literal) ton of Stephenson waiting on the shelf.

• 1 month later...

A lot of good responses in here. It shouldn't matter what others think. If you enjoy reading then you should continue doing so. A lot of people I know think reading is stupid too, but I don't take what they say seriously. I read all of the time and love it and won't stop because somebody thinks it's dumb.