Awesome review of Bloodrayne

luxxx

I grew up in the same era but if you don't agree that the controls for Bloodrayne are a sloppy mess then you're only fooling yourself. The game could've been so much more with minor tweaks.

I never thought about the controls were a mess for me. Games are like that. You just need to get used to it. Games like Megaman from nes and snes are like that. And you die a lot. Lol. But, I do practice a lot on every game I play to perfect it.

Edited by CaptenMidnite

I grew up in the same era but if you don't agree that the controls for Bloodrayne are a sloppy mess then you're only fooling yourself. The game could've been so much more with minor tweaks.

I Agree with everything you and the reviewer said about the controls. Imo, I think the controls, and how bloodrayne moves is SUPER slow and sloppy. I wish the combat and movement was so much more faster and responsive. I have gotten so hit by so many cheap shots because she is not quick enough to escape hits at the last second.

Edited by VanDeaM

• 2 weeks later...

Well, to compare it to NES-era games is ludicris and semi-retarded. It has more in line with the Playstation platformers/side-scrollers than NES. That review was the biggest cry-fest I've read, and am slightly shocked that in any kind of professional stint was that "review" allowed to be published. All he did was nerd-rage about how he couldn't beat a game, and with tears streaming blacklines through his make-up he begins to go into wanton detail about how HE couldn't control the character and combat was too chaotic.

Its called adaptation.

"omgzors, these controls aren't anything like CoD!" = Failed

"Wow, crazy controls. Give me a few minutes to adjust." = Winning

That game is hard, much like how Symphony of the Night should've been. And, to whoever wrote that review, it's about time a line was drawn to distinguish the good and awesome from the meak and lackluster gamers.

Half of being a decent person in gaming is a raw, fundamental set of skills. The other half is knowing how to adapt to an individual game's requirements and deploy this skill set towards the new structure/challenges. This game has a steep learning curve, but I got over it about two hours after my intial shock. It's not that hard to get the feel for combat and how to make controls do what you need them to. Some parts are amazing in the platforming portion, and this game brings on a real challenge not unlike WipEout.

Edited by Echelon XII

• 2 months later...

I had such high hopes for this game because BloodRayne 1 and 2 on the PS2 were such awesome games, but sadly this game is terrible in comparison. At least they got the name right in calling this one Betrayal because it betrays everything that made the previous games great fun and enjoyable to play. It's a worthless and frustrating piece of shit.

I had such high hopes for this game because BloodRayne 1 and 2 on the PS2 were such awesome games, but sadly this game is terrible in comparison. At least they got the name right in calling this one Betrayal because it betrays everything that made the previous games great fun and enjoyable to play. It's a worthless and frustrating piece of shit.

yes, i feel betrayed as well. im a fan of rayne. where is bloodrayne 3!!!

Hell yeah, I want to see BloodRayne 3 happen too. The second game ended with an indication that some serious shit was coming. I've been wanting to see for the past 7 years how Rayne and Severin planned on dealing with that.

Yeah they were making it but then cancelled it. They should of atleast make a HD collection for 1 & 2.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
I never thought about the controls were a mess for me. Games are like that. You just need to get used to it. Games like Megaman from nes and snes are like that. And you die a lot. Lol. But, I do practice a lot on every game I play to perfect it.

Exactly, i loved the game overall. I do believe the design for the trophies is insane, but ill grind my ass off trying to finish this one.

Seriously, a 2.0? No way. The controls arent a mess and i havent had a single problem with them, platformers with multiple functions can grow on you.

I don't think it's a very good game, to be honest. The slippery controls are the biggest offender for me. I never really feel fully in control. Also, the game is hard as heck, and combined with the controls only compounds things. I might get (looks over Trophy List) 4 more Trophies for a total of 8, but it's not looking good overall.

Wow people really suck, this is why games are getting crappier and crappier, too many babies need the games to be dumbed down an insane amount.

The only problem I had was there isn't a cancel move, like if some guy pulls out a gun as your attacking a different one I wanted to beable to cancel and dodge instead of be screwed. But that really is it, the controls are perfectly fine for this kind of game.

Wow people really suck, this is why games are getting crappier and crappier, too many babies need the games to be dumbed down an insane amount.

The only problem I had was there isn't a cancel move, like if some guy pulls out a gun as your attacking a different one I wanted to beable to cancel and dodge instead of be screwed. But that really is it, the controls are perfectly fine for this kind of game.

Yeah. this sums up my experience with it.

I do like it when a hard game is released and game reviewers almost universally bitch about it. The main thing that happened with Demon's Souls is that there was already hype before it came out so reviewers all changed their tone to get with the times, imagine if it came out of nowhere and buttfucked all of them? Would have been glorious.

That said, this game is kind of ridiculously cheap and romhack-like in more than a few spots. The combat is quite easy and relatively fluid though so dunno what captain destructoid was whining about there. Considering how mediocre/middling the previous games in the series were at least there's something definitively "interesting" about this rendition.

• 1 month later...

Have to admit: I couldn't make it past Chapter 3.

Because I couldn't take it anymore.

BR: B is such a beautiful looking game (no joke, I really mean it), but why is it so ludicrously hard? No seriously, why? The other Bloodrayne games weren't known for their difficulty. So why is this?

I pre-ordered this game during the first PLAY promotion and was under the impression, this is some kind of Metroidvania-style plattformer with item collection and Map system in place. Well, let's just say I was disappoint with the final product.

Totally agree with Sterling on one thing: A game CAN be hard, but it's another thing when it insults you for being not perfect at it.

• 8 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Well, I have never played BloodRayne 1 or 2.

THis is the first game of the series that I have played. and I really like it.

Yeah, its hard. But thats how side-scrollers used to be.

Challeging!

Its not impossible, you have to take patiente.

Like old Super Nes games. Those Super Nes games were not really long. many would take you 1 or 2 days to beat them. But not because they were long but they were challenging. maybe they were short, but they had levels in which you had to practice to beat it.

This game is like that short, but entertaining, and present you with some challenges, than can be beaten.

I really like it.

Well, I have never played BloodRayne 1 or 2.

THis is the first game of the series that I have played. and I really like it.

Yeah, its hard. But thats how side-scrollers used to be.

Challeging!

Its not impossible, you have to take patiente.

Like old Super Nes games. Those Super Nes games were not really long. many would take you 1 or 2 days to beat them. But not because they were long but they were challenging. maybe they were short, but they had levels in which you had to practice to beat it.

This game is like that short, but entertaining, and present you with some challenges, than can be beaten.

I really like it.

BloodRayne 1 and 2 are a million times better. Had BloodRayne 2 not been released around the same time as GTA: San Andreas and Halo 2, we'd have had more sequels and not a crappy download reboot title. BloodRayne 2's low sales sadly killed this series back in '04, this download title does more than beat a dead horse in reference to the franchise. It digs it out of its grave, urinates all over it, and brutally violates every exposed orifice.

Edited by Tiberius

• 1 year later...

This is one of the toughest games for me to judge.

I've played a little bit of it, and I can say that it is one of the most frustrating games I have played. I cannot get above a 20,000 score (which is an F grade). The game's combat, the largest part of the game, is sluggish; it all comes down to mashing one button and pointing the left stick in one direction. The platforming is completely atrocious and unresponsive; hands-down it is the worst part of the game.

However, the art style is very unique and strong. I love Rayne's design, the enemy designs (even though there are few), the gore, and the atmosphere of the game, albeit the world being a bit empty. There is plenty of replayability (even if it comes with frustrations). The soundtrack is entertaining, even though it is simple, and it fits with the atmosphere of the game. The game is meant to be challenging, and in that sense, it works well.

Ultimately, I think if the game had more hype, it would have lived up to be a decent title. From what I've seen from the reviews and online, it was an unenthusiastic attempt to revive an old PS2 franchise. After three years on the backlog, I finally decided to give it a try after it intrigued me. I will continue to play it.