Looking for a Tutor

Azgard12

So, I really want to get better at this game. I have this (as well as BlazBlue Calamity Trigger) and I cannot get better no matter what it seems I do. I cannot beat Score Attack on BB:CT (let alone get but a few stages in), and I cannot complete Arcade Mode on any real difficulty. I am not looking to be any dominant force in multi-player, simply to get better at understanding a game I have a passion for, and yet simply cannot improve. I've played many genres, but the fighting genre leaves me very disappointed in myself.

I feel as though I am best at using Noel, though I am willing to learn any character. I do not have an actual fight stick, only the controllers I own. In case it is of concern, I believe I am an intelligent individual with capable reflexes, but I fail to grasp what exactly it is I am looking for. I am beginning to learn that the fighting genre is truly one that requires someone to be taught and also to practice.

If anyone has tips, I'm willing to learn. If anyone wants to help me in any way, I will consider their assistance a debt which I will try my best to repay.

Edited by Azgard12

well azgard i can't really give any advice about how to get better since i haven't played since the game first came out but i could just say that the best advice is to keep practicing in the story mode use the training mode it has and try using the challenge mode since it teaches how to implicate the best combos for each character

and if anything if you just want to practice with a real partner then just drop me a message and i will try to help as soon as i am done with school for the semester and i have both BlazBlue and Arcana Heart 3 so i can help out in those as well

In fighting games practicing can be very difficult. You can practice attack combinations in practice mode or on a computer, but those will only get you so far. Most AI's are built with a blind spot or two in their programming and can easily be manipulated, a good human opponent won't have that. Not to mention in a game as well made as this one, there are a ton of variables to consider. It can also be really frustrating because once you get something down, a new opponent might trample you with something you've never encountered.

I can't speak for all players and all characters, but as a Hakumen user there are a few things I always have to keep in mind. First is my spacing, Haku doesn't have much reach outside his poke and his ground dash leaves much to be desired for distance. So my getting close can be a problem depending on who I'm facing; a good Lambda player can still ruin my day; if I'm fighting Tager I don't want to get too close, especially if I'm magnetized; Hazama I can play big defense and let him come to me.

The second big thing I keep in mind is priority; that is which of my attacks have priority over my opponents attacks, or if the two attacks met then which would take effect. Whatever they throw at me I have to be ready to either meet with my own attack or block and know which ways they can follow up; if their combo can go high or low I have to make a judgement call and sometimes take a hit because I block wrong. But if you fight someone enough, you sometimes get a feel for what they'll be going for. One big thing that factors into priority are invincibility frames. That is certain attacks give characters invincibility for a certain amount of frames during the attack.

Sadly the best advice I can give you is to research the character you want to play as. Learn their strengths, weaknesses and just go out there and get battle experience. You can practice combo's and such on opponents to get the timing and everything down but being able to recall them the moment your opponent lowers their guard takes practice and dedication. I know there's a few good Noel players here if that's who you want to stay with her and if they pop up I'm sure they're willing to share knowledge.

Thank you for the replies.

I have played through the tutorials in BB:CS, and they were somewhat helpful, and I've completed story mode with all characters and Arcade on the easier settings in BB:CT. I got online and managed to win some as Noel, though I'd lose with other characters more frequently. I can't even tell you what I was doing right/wrong.

I feel like I need someone to say things like "don't use that attack" or "you've gotta block then!" or something, because even though I feel like I've put a decent time into this so far, I cannot even read the AI on average/medium levels. I love this game, though. I want to get better. I just don't know which attacks are suitable for which situations.

Hi Noel main here lol First word of advice... DON'T MASH D. It BBCT it worked even for the most unskilled players (like me at the time lol) but they nerfed her drive in many ways so that it wasn't "mashable". I want to give you advice but I would be giving you information based on CSII Noel and with Extend coming out Dec.17th It probably wouldn't be very helpful.

Noel has alot of mix ups and cross ups, in CSII if your opponent blocked one of your chainrevolver combos you have 6B and 6D as mix up options for a high or a low and then you can pick up the opponent from that for big damage. If you opponent were to read that block you can use Optic Barrel (236+A) as a safe way of getting out.

In CSII you want your opponent to hate their lives with each combo, if you weren't doing at least 4k per combo then you were doing something wrong. In CSX her big damage combos have been moved to the corner but her midscreen game is still relatively ... decent. She had alot of moves with invincibility properties such as 4D and 5D however those have been nerfed to my knowledge in CSX.

I'll be glad to give you more information in regards to Noel when CSX comes out but for now I would say just learn in BnB's in training and just get ready to adjust.

Also refer to this thread on Dustloop, its basically a tutorial made by one of the top players Xie who runs players through from the bottom basics to advanced combos one step at a time. Feel free to check it out:

Beginner Mode - The BlazBlue Mechanics Discussion Show! (Next 11/24))

I'm so glad you pointed out those videos on Dustloop. I'm going to watch all of them and probably sign up on that site in order to further understand everything that is going on. I'm excited for Extend! :)

EDIT:

If anyone else watches the videos, I'd recommend starting on Episode 2. I watched most of Episode 0 and 1, but really didn't gain anything. I was almost discouraged, but then Episode 2 began to explain the very basic things that people I ask for help talk about over my head. I'm really satisfied. Thank you again!

Edited by Azgard12

I could throw you a few pointers on generic stuff if you'd like, but I know nothing at all about Noel as a character (Tager is the way to go). If anything I could tell you a little about the Tager gameplay so that you will have less trouble fighting us (will help you a lot if you plan on getting CSEX, since I have a feeling Tager players will increase). Just add me on PSN if you're interested and we'll continue from there. ID is The_Larcenist.

UPDATE! I have spent some time playing as each character (except Platinum) and I have come to figure out which ones I can use and which ones I can't use. Maybe this will say something about me as a gamer, so here is my list:

Characters I Win With:

-Noel: I've gotten really good at so-called "corner abuse."

-Ragna: However, I don't really like Ragna. :(

-Jin: I can win as Jin, but find him to be somewhat boring.

-Valk: I'd like to learn more about Valk. I like him a lot.

-Bang: I can win as Bang, but I am not using his full potential.

Characters I Am Okay With:

-Arakune: I win as this guy, but I don't know how I'm doing it.

-Tager: I can do okay, but I don't like him.

-Litchi: I enjoy her, but I'm not using the staff correctly.

-Hazama: I *hate* his distortion.

-Lambda: Seems like a defensive character, and I don't like that.

-Hakumen: I'm horrible with Hakumen, but can win sometimes.

-Makoto: Favorite character I can't do much as.

Characters I Am Clueless at Using:

-Rachel: Pretty much only win if I abuse electrifying.

-Mu: No clue how her distortion works.

-Tsubaki: I don't know where to begin.

-Taokaka: Too bouncy, and I die really fast as her.

-Carl: Having a hard time with one character... how do I use Ava?

So there's my run-down for now. I am probably most inclined toward Noel, Valk, or perhaps with practice Arakune. What do you guys think?

Valk would be a great pick-up if you're getting Extend, since he's the only one placing above Ragna in tier lists as of now. He has really scary mix-ups with a close to instant overhead in his arsenal.

Noel is one of the characters I personally hate, but if you feel you're good with her now perhaps you should stick with her. It's better to learn a character inside out, as well as the game mechanics, before going for another character. If you have started playing one character you enjoy you should probably stick with this one.

Playing a good Arakune might just be the most annoying thing I've ever done. Played a few 190 PSR Kunes on PSN and that is so damn annoying. If you're cursed you have a burst to spare, if not you're dead.

Basically start somewhere, then when you feel you know your character well go for a sub character. I started with Rachel and played until I knew her inside out (CS1), then I picked up Tager. Now in CS2 they changed everything about Rachel so I can hardly play her at all, while Tager is my main. Going back to Rachel once Extend hits again though.

It would be great to see another Hakumen, but if you're in the middle about him I'd suggest finding another character. He's not overly complex but he does have a sizable breaking in period. His B&B's have strict timing, his movement isn't good and all his specials require Magatama. You can get aggressive but will need Magatama to do the big damage he can dish out; or use it if your opponent gets you on the ropes. He's like a balancing act and takes a while to get the feel of with each opponent. The one thing I love that was added in CS was his void cutting projectiles. His C attacks negate and create a small void that can block projectiles or damage your opponent. His movement may not be good but the void zones help control the battlefield.

It would be great to see another Hakumen, but if you're in the middle about him I'd suggest finding another character.
He seems really popular online. In 30+ games, all I've ran into is Noel, Hakumen, Ragna, and Jin (and Lambda, once). I'm a weirdo who wants to play a less popular character, but it seems like Noel is in the same boat as Haku.

He's not overly complex but he does have a sizable breaking in period. His B&B's have strict timing, his movement isn't good and all his specials require Magatama. You can get aggressive but will need Magatama to do the big damage he can dish out; or use it if your opponent gets you on the ropes. He's like a balancing act and takes a while to get the feel of with each opponent. The one thing I love that was added in CS was his void cutting projectiles. His C attacks negate and create a small void that can block projectiles or damage your opponent. His movement may not be good but the void zones help control the battlefield.
I guess I just don't understand how to use him. In fact, Hakumen, Mu, Rachel, Carl... all of these characters (and to a lesser extent, Bang and Litchi) have elements that require certain positioning that I don't fully comprehend. The tutorial wasn't too helpful with them, either.

I'm thinking Valk, though I'm interested thematically in Relius and Platinum. Noel will be a sub for sure- she's the only character I've won online as.

After my exams next week I should have quite some time to spend on this game. Just catch me whenever I'm online if you want some guidance.
I'm getting really discouraged. I hit 50 games played tonight. I've won... 3. I feel really horrible at this and as much as I want to get better and progress, I'm beginning to think maybe I just have zero talent at fighting games. I'm only level 7.

I'd also say I face Jin 60% of the time. Then there's Ragna maybe 20% of the time, and Hakumen/Noel makes up most of the rest. So any good strategies for facing Jin (and/or Ragna)?

EDIT: Thank you for the discussion, by the way. I hope this thread isn't annoying, but I'm openly waving a white flag as a noob who really wants to be more.

Edited by Azgard12

I'm getting really discouraged. I hit 50 games played tonight. I've won... 3. I feel really horrible at this and as much as I want to get better and progress, I'm beginning to think maybe I just have zero talent at fighting games. I'm only level 7.

I'd also say I face Jin 60% of the time. Then there's Ragna maybe 20% of the time, and Hakumen/Noel makes up most of the rest. So any good strategies for facing Jin (and/or Ragna)?

EDIT: Thank you for the discussion, by the way. I hope this thread isn't annoying, but I'm openly waving a white flag as a noob who really wants to be more.

No need to get discouraged yet. I have no talent when it comes to fighting games but it took me a year of trying to come to that conclusion. It's still a bit early for you to come to that conclusion. Losing a lot in the beginning is natural because you haven't learned any of the match ups yet. These things will come with time, experience and advice though. For example, if you're playing ranked, the Jin and Ragnas you face 80% of the time are probably just spam the Ice Car and Hell's Fang, which can be punished on block.

My noob advice: while you wait for Larcenist to be free and give you proper guidance, keep playing. Every time you lose, save the replay and watch it later. Try to identify areas where you're struggling and try to come up with a strategy to deal with it.

Surprised you see so many Hakumens. I main him myself but I rarely come up against him.

At any rate, to give some rather general advice, I'd really recommend hitting some player matches before continuing in Ranked. There tends to be far fewer 'nasty' tactics in Player matches and you are likely to find them a lot more approachable.

When fighting Jin, I tend to try and keep him at a distance to lure him into using an Ice Car. If you're expecting it then it's not too hard to counter. Up close, it's also pretty easy for him to launch into a combo from 6C.

Don't feel too discouraged especially since most of the players online right now are only regulars who probably play at a near decent competitive level. You're just starting out you can't expect to level up not even a month after deciding to buckle down.

This is something I told my friend after I destroyed him at Marvel vs Capcom 3 months ago when he started complaining about the game: "What makes you think I'm going to lose to you who only put not even an hour of training into game after I put nearly 100 hours of game time and match up experience into it". Of course this may not apply to those who just have that natural talent or LONG history with fighting games as fundamentals and execution carry over throughout them all.

Who are you maining again and trying to get better with ? Go back to the Dustloop forums I directed you to and look for the character specific sub forums there you'll find match up threads where other players discuss how to approach certain match ups, I myself use it for my Noel match ups. A funny story in that regard, I was playing in a tournament and it was semi-finals ... I was in losers and I was matched up against one of my personal friends who's like a god at fighting games... being the worrywart I was I quickly checked the Noel Match up threads and absorbed all the information I need against his deadly Taokaka and I barely won it thanks to the information I read up :)

And don't feel too annoyed, it's good to have more regular blazblue players because honestly the game is REALLY good but REALLY underrated here in the states.

Who are you maining again and trying to get better with ? Go back to the Dustloop forums I directed you to and look for the character specific sub forums there...
They go so off-topic. I think I read a thread that was about Ragna and Jin hooking up. But thanks. :)

And don't feel too annoyed, it's good to have more regular blazblue players because honestly the game is REALLY good but REALLY underrated here in the states.
Yeah, I've kinda caught a bug for this game. I'm thinking about it ALL the time.

They go so off-topic. I think I read a thread that was about Ragna and Jin hooking up. But thanks. :)

Yeah, I've kinda caught a bug for this game. I'm thinking about it ALL the time.

You're probably looking at the general threads which isn't what you're supposed to be going to. Heres one of the threads that you want to be looking at is [CS2]Valk vs Jin

Here is the match up threads for Valkenhayn

So I have my first exam on Monday, the next on Thursday. I'm pretty confident I can squeeze some time for BlazBlue in there, so say Monday-ish. If you have some easier means of communication (Skype, Steam, MSN) you could PM this to me so we'll have an easier time catching each others (I'm only on PSN when I play online, and now I'm busy practicing UMvC3 and KoFXIII offline so I'm not on very often).

If you need help with the Ragna match-up I can give you quite a few pointers since I fight an excellent Ragna player on a regular basis (actually I play his Ragna more than anything).

So I have my first exam on Monday, the next on Thursday. I'm pretty confident I can squeeze some time for BlazBlue in there, so say Monday-ish. If you have some easier means of communication (Skype, Steam, MSN) you could PM this to me so we'll have an easier time catching each others (I'm only on PSN when I play online, and now I'm busy practicing UMvC3 and KoFXIII offline so I'm not on very often).

If you need help with the Ragna match-up I can give you quite a few pointers since I fight an excellent Ragna player on a regular basis (actually I play his Ragna more than anything).

I have Skype. I'm a teacher, so I understand finals hours. 7 more days for me until a nice break.

I have other fighting games, too, though not UMvC3 or KoXIII.

... When fighting Jin, I tend to try and keep him at a distance to lure him into using an Ice Car. If you're expecting it then it's not too hard to counter. Up close, it's also pretty easy for him to launch into a combo from 6C.

Here's another thing that's important about fighting Jin, his ice ride is dangerous but the one thing I always watch out for are his 623+A/B/C/D attacks. Those give him insane invincibility frames and so the best way to approach Jin (as Hakumen) is to bait him into attack because there is very little you can to do match him.

Jin is a real pain. He has what? 4 DPs? He can safely approach by using his delayed ice thingamajingies and he has nasty crossovers etc. At least he's more enjoyable to fight than Hazama (if you're a Tager player).

Edit: I also sent you a PM with my skype, so if you add me it'll be a lot easier to try to figure out some sort of time where we both can be on. After Thursday I'm game.

Edited by Larcenist

Jin is a real pain. He has what? 4 DPs? He can safely approach by using his delayed ice thingamajingies and he has nasty crossovers etc. At least he's more enjoyable to fight than Hazama (if you're a Tager player).

Edit: I also sent you a PM with my skype, so if you add me it'll be a lot easier to try to figure out some sort of time where we both can be on. After Thursday I'm game.

Hazama is a royal pain, just can't stand him. I only really fight him as Hakumen so can't talk for other match-ups. Never any joy in fighting him.