This or SFIV?

This game is far superior to SFIV or any SF for that matter and so will King Of Fighters be when it comes out SF is just a terrible fighter so buy this one or at least KoF

I wouldnt really agree with this as they are actually completely different styles of games and alot of it comes down to personal preference.

Blazblue, successor to Guilty Gear, follows along the guidelines of a traditional Japanese anime style game. Air dashing, instant airdashing, Instant blocking, combo teching, etc. Many people think that some of these games are far to fast paced and cant keep up with whats going on on the screen. Thankfully, Arksys took note of that and actually managed to slow down the gameplay quite a bit, and still keep all of the fantasticness of the style in tact(example below). The other staple is the sometimes overly long combo's, many of which involve jumping up into the air mid combo, and continuing to attack, jump a second time, and contiue the combo.

Example: In guilty gear, the fastest poke in game was 2 frames (or 2/60ths of a second), the average was 6, and the extreme end was 16. Blazblue on the other hand, the fastest poke in game is 5 frames (or 1/12th of a second). this gives people alot more room to learn the game.

Street Fighter on the other hand, is (even though it was made in japan) a more American styled 2d fighter. Grounded alot more firmly in reality; throws, footsies, and poking games are where the focus comes down to. Combo's rarely go over 7 hits unless a super/ultra is included. Juggling is minimal and there arent air combo's so to speak. The concepts are generally alot easier to grasp in SF, but execution has been made in some cases so strict that its a turn off for some. GG 2 frame links =/

Really the difference comes down to personal preference. I personally enjoy both and still play both. Street fighter is a huge hit with the community, and has drawn more people back/into the fighting game scene that It really cant be denied. Its also a fantastically made game, and is by far one of the best fighters out there right now.

On the other hand, I love guilty gear, and I LOVE blazblue. The art style fits me, and I love how flashy you can be with some of the combo's. The trophies are very easy, and I quite enjoy the story and characters. If you Seriously like fighting games, Blazblue is going to be getting much more playtime then SF ever did, but even as a casual game, this one is pretty fun.

Street Fighter IV is ... meh. The funny thing is, I did enjoy playing it - but BlazBlue has made me actually think ill of it.

They are different kinda styles of games though. With SF4, I can random select and win most matches. The characters feel so 'same-y'. All you gotta do is master the basic mechanics and you can pretty much use any character - unless you are dealing with one of those utter delights that is an Akuma player.

Can't pull that with BlazBlue. It would take a very skilled player just to use half of the character roster effectively. There are no clone characters and every character provides a completely different gameplay experience.

Oooh, this looks like a fighting game I might actually love to bits by the sound of things (and I'll have to import it to the UK).

I'm from the Tekken clan myself... my game was always about counter-attacks and throws. I did try SF for a bit, but decided that it was a pointless fighter as a 7-year-old can button mash and beat me - something that would never happen in Tekken or Mortal Kombat.

I like the fact that (according to an earlier reply on here) the players in BB all feel different and actually need learning. I felt that was the case in Tekken (less so in MK), which is why I might well part with the readies to get an import of this game^^

... plus the fact I've just treated myself to a Hori Arcade Pro 3 stick ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Definitely pick this up if your into fighters at all. The trophies come easy except a few hard ones. The game itself is phenomenal. Great graphics, amazing game play, and online connections that hold 60fps every game no matter what. Out of about 400 games between player and ranked I've only had 1 match lag out. I love street fighter since the old days, but SF4 let me down with laggy unreliable online play and rehashed or unevenly matched characters (seth,dan). However, they are two completely different games. Out of the last 10 games I've bought this has been the one I've felt like I've really gotten my money's worth. If you are a button masher that's fine but you will get hurt and learn from your mistakes. There are a few characters you can pick up and play decently just mashing buttons. Also the characters are the most individual players I've seen in a fighting game, no 2 are alike and fight with a style all there own separate from any fighting game you've ever played.

BTW: Unlimited Ragna would beast out Seth any day of the week.... I hate Ragna with a passion...

Edited by MrHarribalsonya

the trophies on BB really easy specially if you do it with a friend or you use 2 controller you can get like 50% of them in 1-2hours the online are easy also time consuming are not THAT long specially the fight rarely take over 2-3 min to end. Imo i don't like sf game i never been able to play them when they at first come out in the arcade with sf2 i was into MK lol after i start to play almost all of fighting game but never on SF its just a personally matter but i really never get into it so for me its BB > SF4

• 4 months later...

SFIV is better

I don't know who posted that you can almost use every character if you only master the main mechanics from ne single character, but that's bullshit.

BlazBlue has easy trophies yes, but that does not mean ANYTHING. A good player can get the platinum for SFIV.

SFIV is better

I don't know who posted that you can almost use every character if you only master the main mechanics from ne single character, but that's bullshit.

BlazBlue has easy trophies yes, but that does not mean ANYTHING. A good player can get the platinum for SFIV.

I agree. Street Fighter is a lot harder to master than just learning the basic mechanics of each character. Chun-Li and Blanka and Vega are all charge characters, but all are completely different characters from each other.

I bought BlazBlue a few days ago, and my opinion of it is it's okay, but I really like Street Fighter 4 better. I think the only refreshing thing I really like is how fast the battles BlazBlue can be as I really dig the ability to air dash.

Trophy-wise as many have said BlazBlue is probably a thousand times easier to platinum (and I can vouch from experience as I struggled forever with obtaining Street Fighter's platinum) but I wouldn't let that persuade me. If I never played both before, and was given demos of each to try before being forced to buy one I would stick with Street Fighter. To me anyway, Street Fighter is a more polished fighter with greater diversity than BlazBlue.

Edited by antiheroforhire

Definitely pick this up if your into fighters at all. The trophies come easy except a few hard ones. The game itself is phenomenal. Great graphics, amazing game play, and online connections that hold 60fps every game no matter what. Out of about 400 games between player and ranked I've only had 1 match lag out. I love street fighter since the old days, but SF4 let me down with laggy unreliable online play and rehashed or unevenly matched characters (seth,dan). However, they are two completely different games. Out of the last 10 games I've bought this has been the one I've felt like I've really gotten my money's worth. If you are a button masher that's fine but you will get hurt and learn from your mistakes. There are a few characters you can pick up and play decently just mashing buttons. Also the characters are the most individual players I've seen in a fighting game, no 2 are alike and fight with a style all there own separate from any fighting game you've ever played.

BTW: Unlimited Ragna would beast out Seth any day of the week.... I hate Ragna with a passion...

Couldnt have said it better myself best fighter ive played last year :applause:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YKxJYibjjU]YouTube - IGN Grudge Match: BlazBlue vs. Street Figher IV[/ame]

The only reason people are so attached to Street Fighter is because of its history and look wheres its gone to now. We have a duplicate character with something supposively different about them coughryukenakumacough. Its also pretty slow paced , especially in 3D opposed to Blazblue where you can dash around the field in a 2D format. I also like how theres 12 characters who all have something different about them

Maybe im talking on the side of a fanboy , but i played SF4 when it came out and at a convention , both times i hated it

Edited by Setsuna

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...