hedgehoper

dansussex

Some tips for this trophy if anyone is having difficulty...

1. Fly low and slow.

2. Be gentle on the sticks.

3. Use combat flaps (X if you use default controls) - these keep you stable.

4. Use gentle rudder (left/right on the right stick in default controls).

5. Fire in bursts - recoil knocks your aim all over the shop.

6. Fly out for a bit with WEP engaged before turning around for another pass.

7. Keep an eye out for lorries driving around - they are very soft targets.

8. If you see what looks like a large mole hill, shoot it - it's a bunker.

9. If you fire on something and get hit markers - carry on: it can be destroyed.

10. If you see a target, remember its location relative to the terrain for another pass.

• 3 weeks later...

Just got this trophy, frustrating because of the initial carrier takeoff. For whatever reason, one of my wingmen always suicide during/after the takeoff, giving me one less plane for the mission. If I control the lead plane, the 2nd/3rd plane takes off towards the carrier tower and dumps in the sea. If I swap to the 2nd/3rd plane and let the lead plane takeoff via computer, he takes off fine, circles back and dumps in the sea.

Anyone else seeing this?

It never happened to me, but some other people had the same problem.

You should be able to save them all if you start by taking off with number one and get him safely in the air, then switch to number two before he takes off from the deck and do the same and finally switch to number three and repeat again.

• 6 months later...
Just got this trophy, frustrating because of the initial carrier takeoff. For whatever reason, one of my wingmen always suicide during/after the takeoff, giving me one less plane for the mission. If I control the lead plane, the 2nd/3rd plane takes off towards the carrier tower and dumps in the sea. If I swap to the 2nd/3rd plane and let the lead plane takeoff via computer, he takes off fine, circles back and dumps in the sea.

Anyone else seeing this?

Same thing here. he just crashes or rolls off the side of the carrier.

Also this trophy is hard. For some reason, whenever I'm doing good, like 3/5... I die. Must be some sneaky sharpshooter.

Actually taking the whole training missions in Simulator to get a little better at it.

Does this trophy have to be done before the objective changes to where you have to go back to your fleet and the ground targets are no longer flashing yellow?

A time limit added to this fucking trophy would suck even more.

No, you can hang out as long as it takes to destroy the 5 targets, it just gets a little harder because they become more focused on shooting at just you instead of the bombers. This was the last trophy I needed and was the hardest to get.

I found this site that shows how to manipulate the settings to get Simulator difficulty on custom difficulty. It really helped a lot.

I also had to take off with the first guy and once you see the "Take off +125 EXP" or whatever it says, switch immediately to the second guy and manually take him off otherwise his dumb ass crashes into the carrier's tower. I also switched to the third guy as well. But don't switch to the fourth guy or when you speed up, he'll hit the third guy. That way you'll have all 4 guys in the air when it switches to protecting the bombers.

Also, I only sort of helped the bombers out. You can't just dive straight away for the island but you don't really have to kill anyone. Just shoot at the Americans for a bit and then head straight for the island. If you can just kill one thing on the ground with your guns, then you can kamikaze into another thing. Then you can do that again with another guy and that should hopefully make it easier for you.

What difference did it make for you? I'm not seeing much difference at all.

Edit:

Well I got lucky and was able to kill 1 by shooting. Used the tips I heard about on taking off with the 2nd pilot so I had 4 when I got to the island. Killed the rest with Kamikaze and got the trophy after failing the mission with my last plane. The custom settings worked.

Edited by shoe478

• 2 weeks later...

I managed to do this one on my first attempt and I suck at this game. The first time I played on anything other than Simplified I couldn't turn without going into a tailspin and then crashing!

I'm sure with some practice most people will manage this trophy. Stay to the right and the back of the island as you approach it and you'll be able to pick off separated enemies one by one. I only had two planes when I got to the island and one of those had some damage to the tail rudder so it can be done without resorting to crashing.

Was really worried about getting this, so I'm glad that it wasn't too hard after all.

I managed to do this one on my first attempt and I suck at this game. The first time I played on anything other than Simplified I couldn't turn without going into a tailspin and then crashing!

I'm sure with some practice most people will manage this trophy. Stay to the right and the back of the island as you approach it and you'll be able to pick off separated enemies one by one. I only had two planes when I got to the island and one of those had some damage to the tail rudder so it can be done without resorting to crashing.

Was really worried about getting this, so I'm glad that it wasn't too hard after all.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hR5YNqE3K8]Oh, gooood for you!![/ame]

If you're just a freakin expert at the game and you can do everything in one try, then play Heroes Over Europe. You have to beat the whole game in this difficulty and you can't manipulate it in custom settings at all. You also have to do every bonus objective in the game to unlock all the plane upgrades. It plays just like Birds of Steel.

Also, being the expert that you are, you should play IL-2 Sturmovik. You also have to beat the game on the hardest difficulty. This is the direct predecessor to Birds of Steel. I'm not saying both those games are impossible but these 3 games are similar and all have a low platinum percentage so you should give them all a try.

With your Manfred Von Richthofen-like skills, these should all be a piece of cake...:rolleyes:

If you're just a freakin expert at the game and you can do everything in one try, then play Heroes Over Europe. You have to beat the whole game in this difficulty and you can't manipulate it in custom settings at all. You also have to do every bonus objective in the game to unlock all the plane upgrades. It plays just like Birds of Steel.

Also, being the expert that you are, you should play IL-2 Sturmovik. You also have to beat the game on the hardest difficulty. This is the direct predecessor to Birds of Steel. I'm not saying both those games are impossible but these 3 games are similar and all have a low platinum percentage so you should give them all a try.

With your Manfred Von Richthofen-like skills, these should all be a piece of cake...:rolleyes:

Pretty sure I clearly stated that I suck at this game and I do. I probably couldn't platinum the games you mention.

The reason I said that I didn't find 'Hedgehopper' difficult was so that someone coming to this particular thread wary of this trophy would have opinions that say that some people found it easy. And that they shouldn't necessarily be put off the game.

I wasn't trying to come off like some show-off in my post, sorry if I did, I genuinely had no trouble with this trophy and have no flying skills whatsoever.

• 1 year later...

I am taking a break from this trophy for awhile, until I get the other online ones and calm down.

I can consistently get 3 each time. Two times I had 4, with a bunker burning and I tried crashing into one to destroy it, no love.

So annoying. I should have gotten it, I mean the entire bunker was on fire, and no one could have been alive in it.

• 6 months later...
Pretty sure I clearly stated that I suck at this game and I do.

Yeah but by saying what you did makes out the rest of us are beyond bad, I srsly dont think they are! I know Im no gunner at it but I can hold my own pretty well in MP, actually to a point others get f**ked off and leave, so by saying youre not good and capped his trophy first pop sorta sux bro.

I dont care if you did straight away, LUCKY you! This trophy still sucks dogs balls. :cool:

Ok after my last rant... I ACTUALLY GOT THIS BISH!! Cant beleive it tbh lol.

What I found, and take note cause I sucked at this in the begining: Get as many planes in the air off that carrier as possible, yeah you can do it with two (never seem someone do it first time round) but 3 or 4 is way best. I finally got 3 up, of course Mr Retardo #2 kept smashing the tower so I gave up on him and got #1 #2 #4.

Use the in cockpit view! Srsly when I aimed down the sight in this view I hit everything. So first I headed to the center and shot the f**k out of that center pillbox thing and it had a car or truch beside it, that blew (and if you get points that means it counts toward the 5 you need, some blow with nothing, they dont count. Oh and I read some people saying the yellow markers count, stuff that, its hard enough focusing on the job at hard other than popping open the battle map all the time), so killed my first one, carry on straight over to the other sides beach there was AAA there, aim down sight in cockpit view bang they go to, I was amazed. I swung out and left, went on the shooting spree through the built up area, happen to hit a truck, my 3rd, then I was hit, switched to my 2nd plane flew out a bit and bang shot down straight away, I was like WTF great here we go again, getting nervous at this point, got my last plane swung left again (almost to the point I first hit the Island) and AAA right in front so hit them, my 4th kill.. hit another AAA but it blew with no xp being shown so just as I was about to fly out to sea and swing back in again a freaking little truck just slipped out right in front and boom, goodbye Mr Mad-Trucker.. was thinking surely thats 5! Srsly the 15 seconds the trophy took to pop took ages. But it did and man was I happy, massive LOLS were had. But yeah this was all dont one full sim mode, no changing or jiggling the custom settings, and on a normal standard PS gamepad. I guess it can be done.

Edited by Funkinhouser

• 1 year later...

Got it! :dance:

Shoot down 4 AA and kill Jeep and trophy pop for me. Very stupid trophy and frustrating.

My Simulator difficulty custom settings:

- Engine control SIMULATOR

- Real gunnery YES

- Real damage model YES

- Stalls YES

- Limited armament NO

- Flutter effect NO

- Redouts/blackouts YES

- Mortal pilots NO

- Manual trimming YES

- Torque effects YES

- Disable arcade boost YES