5GB Mandatory Install

jamby

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then delete the installs from games you played earlier. Not a big deal. If you have a lot of videofiles and stuff, stream from a pc instead of storing it on the PS3.

It's the principle of the thing - why do I need to install something when I already have the disc? That's the point of having a disc. If I wanted to have it installed, I'd buy it off of the PSN (which is why I actually bought the disc of Warhawk and not from the PSN).

The issue arises from differences in the reading techniques of DVD and Blu-ray.

By nature, the outer and inner parts of a disc move at different speeds while a disc is spinning, regardless of format (CD, DVD, Blu-ray, HD-DVD, etc.). While DVD drives can read data at those differing speeds, Blu-ray reads at one speed.

Combine that with the extremely large size of Blu-ray discs, and simply dumping existing DVD data onto a Blu-ray disc will inevitably result in longer load times.

Installations are a way around this issue.

When a publisher asks you to install a game on PS3, it’s because they’re moving some of the disc data to an area of your console that has much faster read access: the hard drive.

You get vastly reduced loading times, but have to sit through an installation.

I dont mind wasting 5Gb off my Hard Drive, after all, THIS is why we purchased a PS3 did we?

No, I purchased a PS3 because I believe it to be a better video gaming system.

Anyways, everyone, it's not that I don't want to delete save files off my hard drive. I can do it. Easily. A bunch of games on there I don't play anymore and probably won't. It's the principle of the thing - why do I need to install the game when I have the disc? It just doesn't seem logical to me.

No, I purchased a PS3 because I believe it to be a better video gaming system.

Anyways, everyone, it's not that I don't want to delete save files off my hard drive. I can do it. Easily. A bunch of games on there I don't play anymore and probably won't. It's the principle of the thing - why do I need to install the game when I have the disc? It just doesn't seem logical to me.

Its either that or just wait double the loading time.

Yes, the data can be read faster but, the problem with this is that it's mandatory, you can't choose if you want fast load times or not. Ok, I know external hard drives aren't that expensive but come on i'd rather spend that money on other things. I know it's Bioshock but we must be careful, I can't imagine that every game could need 3, 4 or 5 GB in the future

Edited by guillemadrid

to be honest i didnt realis how big thee installs were untill i maxed out my harddrive

but does deleting these installs remove trophies?

ill be getting the 500 gig external hdd anyway but i just want to know if trophies get removed

No...if you get them, they are saved in ur PSN ID...they might go away on your HDD, but not on ur PSN.

But if they do go away on ur HDD, then you'll have no chance of getting platinum XD